Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had gastric sleeve on Feb 29, 2016, at the age of 50. I followed pre op liquid diet exactly as advised, no cheating. Then followed surgeons recommend diet for next 6 weeks, post op. I have lost 36 pounds. I was advised by my doctor I was not eating enough. My weight has stayed the same for 1 month. Since I have increased my intake to 6 times a day, I have gained weight. Eating my Protein first, usually the only thing I eat, full after protein. I drink 50-64 ounces of liquid, mainly Water and diet green tea. My blood pressure dropped, so I was taken off medication for blood pressure. Then had swelling half way up my lower legs, was started on diuretic. Still have swelling to my lower legs. I still have not lost weight. My Proteins are usually chicken, turkey, eggs or fish. I eat Greek yogurt, nuts, and fruit in between main meals. I'm lost on what I am doing wrong. Doctor said he is sending me to nutritionist when I follow up with him in 2 weeks. Any advice would be much appreciated, I feel like a failure

By no means is losing 36lbs a failure and we all go through stalls.

How many calories are you taking in? Are you exercising? My nut told me no more that 800 calories. My surgery was Jan 12.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Increased my calories to 1000-1200 a day. Walking between 30 - 45 minutes 5 days a week.

I too was taken off my blood pressure medicine (great job to you!) but have swelling in legs as well (returned about a month ago being off the diuretic) (3 months post op right now) - What you are eating is exactly what i have been eating..

With Protein first.. are you eating butcher counter meat or packaged meats? I found i still needed to follow my <1500 mg a day sodium intake I was directed to follow when I was on BP medicine - and some of the "protein first" easy meals I did were deli meat, frozen chicken strips or filet, ground turkey, turkey pepperoni, turkey sausage - all which had a lot of sodium - so do many Protein drinks - go figure. I also added spice mix packages to - well - spice it up - and they can have a lot of sodium - they make lower sodium and no sodium packs as well which i have switched to for taco seasoning..

If you can - log everything in myfitnesspal or similar app and log everything you eat to see if sodium may be the culprit -

Boars Head makes a great line of no sodium or low sodium meats if you can find them. Luckily my grocery store just switched to 100% Boars Head deli selections and it has been a godsend - they make no salt added turkey and roast beef - so I can add a little salt to taste without all of their salt.. If your grocery store doesn't carry you could probably ask the manager to order for you. http://boarshead.com/products/lower-sodium

Also if you do deli meats where they slice it for you - ask them if you can scan the bar code in your app - my deli has let me. Ultimately when I went away from packaged deli meats and stuck with fresh chicken breasts and lower or no sodium meats, etc - I came back into manageable sodium and it subsided.

I hope that works for you - I am sure I am not telling you anything earth-shatteringly new - but in case someone else searches on leg swelling - I thought I would post my experience.

Thank you all for the advice! I have been eating deli turkey. I do use myfittnesspal to log everything I do, food and exercise. I will monitor my sodium better, thank you!

I am 18 months out, well past goal weight and in maintenance, and I still don't eat 1000-1200 calories per day. There is no way I would have lost weight eating that many calories, sadly. Is that the amount your doctor told you to increase your calories up to? 800 was the maximum number we were allowed to still be in weight loss mode. I eat about 900 per day now, in maintenance. I hope things improve for you soon!! Good luck!

How tall are you? I'm thinking a few things. 1) My mom was always thin and when she turned 50 she started gaining weight because of menopause. She cannot eat more than 1,000 calories or she gains. She is only 5'3 though. 2) Very good point made above about sodium. Try cutting out as much processed food as possible and see if the swelling subsides. 3) My older coworker exercised with a personal trainer and watched what she ate but never lost any weight until they found the right combination of pills that helped her body with the Water it was retaining. Now she is dropping weight relatively easily. My point is medication can cease or disguise weight loss due to swelling.

Keep up the good work! You will get there.

Sent from my KFFOWI using the BariatricPal App

Thank you all for the advice, I appreciate it! Cut back to 800 calories today. Watching sodium closer. Thank you !

I had gastric sleeve on Feb 29, 2016, at the age of 50. I followed pre op liquid diet exactly as advised, no cheating. Then followed surgeons recommend diet for next 6 weeks, post op. I have lost 36 pounds. I was advised by my doctor I was not eating enough. My weight has stayed the same for 1 month. Since I have increased my intake to 6 times a day, I have gained weight. Eating my Protein first, usually the only thing I eat, full after Protein. I drink 50-64 ounces of liquid, mainly Water and diet green tea. My blood pressure dropped, so I was taken off medication for blood pressure. Then had swelling half way up my lower legs, was started on diuretic. Still have swelling to my lower legs. I still have not lost weight. My Proteins are usually chicken, turkey, eggs or fish. I eat Greek yogurt, nuts, and fruit in between main meals. I'm lost on what I am doing wrong. Doctor said he is sending me to nutritionist when I follow up with him in 2 weeks. Any advice would be much appreciated, I feel like a failure

First, it sounds like you need more Fluid. 50-64 oz isn't a minimum of 64 oz. You need at least 64 oz.

How much protein are you getting in every day? What is your protein target?

Are you exercising?

Are you taking your Vitamins and supplements?

Embrace the Stall

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall