Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm having such a hard time choosing between the bypass and sleeve. I only have two nutritionist appointments left so it's coming quickly. I'm excited to see what my surgeon recommends but if he says either one, I'm still going to be torn. I have no comorbities besides high blood pressure every now and then, not on meds for it though. I'm 22, 5'9, 360 and still losing. I'd like my goal weight to be 165. Any recommendations? What was your starting and current weights? I'd love your stories, pictures, etc. Thanks so much!

I decided on the sleeve because it doesn't involve cutting the intestines. less surgery time, less down time

I am planning a Sleeve (Thanksgiving as that is when I will have the money, since insurance doesn't cover jack) because it has less Vitamin deficiencies, far less chance of dumping, shorter surgery time, I read that the part of the stomach they take out produces the most Ghrelin, the hunger hormone, and I would like less of that.

They used to do a Sleeve first then later add on the bypass, which could still be an option. I see that you have a bit more to lose than me and yes (I am 5 10 and currently 285), the bypass tends to have people lose more, but I think if your Sleeve didn't work or if you end up with severe GERD, you could then do a bypass later.

I was the same starting weight as you and did the bypass (I had GERD, and I also liked the fact there was more long term data on the bypass). I'm very happy with my decision. I've lost 185 lbs so far!

I am planning a Sleeve (Thanksgiving as that is when I will have the money, since insurance doesn't cover jack) because it has less Vitamin deficiencies, far less chance of dumping, shorter surgery time, I read that the part of the stomach they take out produces the most Ghrelin, the hunger hormone, and I would like less of that.

They used to do a Sleeve first then later add on the bypass, which could still be an option. I see that you have a bit more to lose than me and yes (I am 5 10 and currently 285), the bypass tends to have people lose more, but I think if your Sleeve didn't work or if you end up with severe GERD, you could then do a bypass later.

You're referring to the DS (sleeve was originally the first part of the DS). Although there are people who do sleeve-to-bypass revisions, too.

I'm in the same boat. I have occasional heart burn that requires OTC medication but other than that no other issues. From what I've been researching, I'm leaning more towards the bypass. Good luck with your decision!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm 9 months post op and I chose the bypass for a few reasons. First, I wanted the extra accountability. Second, a lot of people who get the sleeve end up wanting, getting, or wanting but not being able to afford the bypass. Why would I cut into my body and risk my life twice, when odds are, I would want the bypass eventually? Also, for people who start high like us, the bypass is often better because statistically, bypass patients lose more than sleeve patients. Not to mention, MUCH more data exists for the bypass than the sleeve. People who got the lapband before there was a lot of long term data often really regret it and the majority of them ended up getting revisions anyway (seeing a trend here? :P). I decided once and for all that if I was going to go through the pain and difficulty and recovery of a major abdominal surgery, I was going to do get the most bang for my buck, the most accountability, the most weight loss, the highest chances of long term success, and only cut into once. For all of these reasons, the bypass was what I went with in the end.

I can honestly say I have no regrets at all. I've lost over 150 pounds since surgery 9 months ago. I feel amazing, I've had no complications, and my life is pretty damn good. I'm finishing school in the fall and moving on with my life. My hunger has been returning now, but it's so incredibly manageable; when I eat a small amount of healthy food, the hunger is gone. This was my biggest dream: to be able to live a normal life out of the control of food and my extra weight. I've still got about 65 pounds to go (including skin. No idea how much extra skin I have). But I'm seeing visions of my goal as it approaches and I can say I would do this a thousand times more if it always resulted in this.

highest weight: 442

weight when the bariatric program started: 402

day of surgery: 387

current weight: 235

goal weight: 170

I'm 9 months post op and I chose the bypass for a few reasons. First, I wanted the extra accountability. Second, a lot of people who get the sleeve end up wanting, getting, or wanting but not being able to afford the bypass. Why would I cut into my body and risk my life twice, when odds are, I would want the bypass eventually? Also, for people who start high like us, the bypass is often better because statistically, bypass patients lose more than sleeve patients. Not to mention, MUCH more data exists for the bypass than the sleeve. People who got the lapband before there was a lot of long term data often really regret it and the majority of them ended up getting revisions anyway (seeing a trend here? :P). I decided once and for all that if I was going to go through the pain and difficulty and recovery of a major abdominal surgery, I was going to do get the most bang for my buck, the most accountability, the most weight loss, the highest chances of long term success, and only cut into once. For all of these reasons, the bypass was what I went with in the end.

I can honestly say I have no regrets at all. I've lost over 150 pounds since surgery 9 months ago. I feel amazing, I've had no complications, and my life is pretty damn good. I'm finishing school in the fall and moving on with my life. My hunger has been returning now, but it's so incredibly manageable; when I eat a small amount of healthy food, the hunger is gone. This was my biggest dream: to be able to live a normal life out of the control of food and my extra weight. I've still got about 65 pounds to go (including skin. No idea how much extra skin I have). But I'm seeing visions of my goal as it approaches and I can say I would do this a thousand times more if it always resulted in this.

I felt exactly like you and we started out the same weight and hw was close. glad to read about where I'm headed. Got gastric done on the 10th.

Sent from my SM-G930P using the BariatricPal App

Girl you're doing amazing and I think you have me sold on the bypass. I have been leaning towards that but still wasn't 100%. I agree that I only want one surgery. So misewell go for the surgery that is more proven and has long term success. I have about 200 pounds I would like to lose. But who knows, I could get down to a weight and feel amazing and not want to lose another pound!!! I want to be held accountable by possibly having dumping syndrome. Lord knows I can't afford a second surgery so I've got to go all in!

I'm in the same boat. I have occasional heart burn that requires OTC medication but other than that no other issues. From what I've been researching, I'm leaning more towards the bypass. Good luck with your decision!

Yep that's exactly how I am. I'm leaning towards bypass as well! Good luck to you also!

I was set on sleeve but had HORRIBLE reflux the day I saw the surgeon for my consultation. She strongly recommended the bypass because of the reflux and amount of weight I had to lose. (Height 5'10" - SW Jan 2015 - 322.6 / HW - 336 / Surgery Weight June 2015 - 296 / Today - 175.2) I left her office thinking no way I would do bypass! It sounded so scary and frankly to me, the sleeve sounded "easier" (NOT saying it IS Easier - just saying that was my impression and I was looking for an "easy" way out). I eventually came around to the idea of bypass and am SO glad I did. For me, I think I would have use the sleeve to eat things I knew I wasn't supposed to. Now having said that, I have eaten some things along the way that are not the most nutritious choices and have found I do not dump. I could have eaten those things either way, but in the end it was my mind (through therapy) that had (and still has work to do) to change, so I may have been ok with sleeve but very happy with the decision I made (or that the dr made for me I suppose).

There are a ton of people on here with great success with the sleeve (even those with larger amounts to lose than me). You probably cannot go wrong with whichever choice you make. It is a very personal decision. Hopefully you have a great surgeon that can help guide you.

I had the band and also was deciding between the two, I ended up going with bypass because I had heartburn issues and also didn't want to have to revise to bypass in the future of the sleeve wouldn't work for me as revisions tend to lose slower and I need to lose over 115 lbs.

@hernewselfie... I think the pre surgical test they do either endoscopy or upper gi series will shed some light on if one procedure is better than the other for you... Otherwise I think it's between you and the doctor.

@hernewselfie... I think the pre surgical test they do either endoscopy or upper gi series will shed some light on if one procedure is better than the other for you... Otherwise I think it's between you and the doctor.

I've had the upper gi done but don't really know what results were. Guess I'll find out when I see my surgeon