Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve / Day Surgery

I have been following this blog and have not seen anyone mention having their sleeve done as day surgery? I was sleeved May 24, had surgery at 1pm and was home by 7pm. Is this that unusual? I'm not complaining, I did fine, I just wondered......

I know it is common with some doctors but I don't believe that it is mainstream yet. I know Nicholson Clinic in Dallas does it that way.

I was in no shape to go home on day one and no one suggested i should go home. Morning of day 2 they did the leak test. Did you get a leak test?

I don't know for sure but i think my age slowed down my recovery (57)

I was in no shape to go home on day one and no one suggested i should go home. Morning of day 2 they did the leak test. Did you get a leak test?

I don't know for sure but i think my age slowed down my recovery (57)

Omg that leak test, Barium swallow was the WORST!! I dry heaved for 20 minutes afterwards!! But it was oh so necessary to be assured there isn't a leak.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I did not have a leak test either. I did go through the Nicholson clinic in Dallas. I'm so happy that I have had no problems and at 5 days post op went back to work today!!

I did day surgery but had to spend the night in a hotel near the hospital in case of a problem. Had to go back to surgery center the following morning for a check up then free to go home.

My surgery was same day surgery. I went back the next day to be seen and get IV fluids. I was self pay, so I saved about $3000 doing it that way. I had already picked up all my meds prior to Surgery.

I did not have a leak test either. I did go through the Nicholson clinic in Dallas. I'm so happy that I have had no problems and at 5 days post op went back to work today!!

If you had your surgery done at the Nicholson clinic, then your leak test was down while you were still under anesthesia. They fill your new stomach with a blue dyed liquid and they probably told you this coming right out of surgery so sometimes it's hard to remember all that is said to you when you just wake up. You should have passed the liquid when you had your first pee after surgery.

Sent from my XT1080 using the BariatricPal App

How did you get the energy to go back to work?? I have el zippo energy!!

I went back to work on my 3rd day post op as well! I think it may be a combination of your health at the time of surgery and having an excellent skilled surgeon will determine how well you recover. I followed my surgeons advice and did as much walking as possible the first 2 days. I was exhausted but forced myself to move around so recovery would speed up.

I went back to work on my 3rd day post op as well! I think it may be a combination of your health at the time of surgery and having an excellent skilled surgeon will determine how well you recover. I followed my surgeons advice and did as much walking as possible the first 2 days. I was exhausted but forced myself to move around so recovery would speed up.

Good for you, my health was EXCELLENT prior to surgery with NO co morbidities at all and I've ALWAYS been the picture of health. Even my surgeon said that I was a "text book" patient. BUT my body was STILL shell shocked from the lack of caloric intake, and whatever else that has caused my debilitating weakness. Although after 3 liters of IVF today at my follow up visit and some egg drop Soup and Naked Protein shake, I'm feeling MUCH BETTER!! 7 more days til I can have "mushies ". Day 5 post op and I'm on Protein shakes and broth Soups.

Also, I'm a nurse...and my job is CONSTANT on the go and on my feet for over 13 hours per day, yeah no not going back for atleast 2 weeks. Thank God I have the time.

It's true, I am very fortunate to have a desk job . As a Human Resource Manager it's mostly mental work keeping all the kids in line!