Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What did I do to myself?

I am about 9 hours out right now and sooooo nauseated. Such bad gas pain in my left shoulder only BUT I can't walk because I'm soooo dizzy. I have dry heaves which hurt my tummy and I can't have anything for nausea again until 6am!! Please please tell

Me this does get better. My surgeon however DID warn me that the first night it the WORST!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

It will get 1000 times better. .. the first night is pretty brutal for some... the next day is easier.. and it just keeps getting easier from there...

As soon as your dizziness eases.. walk as much as you can handle... if you are dizzy i would raise that with the nurses...

Hmm.. my first night was awesome. I got a lot of exercise pushing the pain med button and sleeping in between. :)

It just gets better and better first night is defiantly the worst by far your on the home stretch now just rest up and keep on top of pain meds good luck

Sent from my iPhone

I was sleeved Wed, 5-25. Pain not bad at all but nausea was debilitating. It is now 5/28 and I am super exhausted and nauseous though not as bad. I do believe it gets better each day. The nausea is really difficult. Huge headache also which for me means I need to get more Water in me. The nausea will lessen but for me has not gone away yet. I've had many surgeries but this one through me for a loop for sure. Just follow the directons

When I had surgery the nausea was ridiculous. The meds in the IV were was doing very little to ease it. The docs did put a patch on me and it made a difference. It does get better.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I had this same thought for probably two weeks. OMG, what did I just to do myself?! I literally remember being on the phone with my best friend crying that I had destroyed my life..who in their right mind cuts out their stomach?! I was also very sick the first few days after surgery, the anesthesia made me feel terrible for over a week, my arms would fall asleep randomly, I was nauseous, and I was convinced I had just destroyed my life.

I am now three months short of three years from surgery. I have maintained at goal weight for 14 months and I am SO glad that I had the surgery done. I can finally feel like my life is about something other than losing weight. In the end, every bit of misery those first few weeks after surgery is worth it. You might be freaked out now, but a few months from now, maybe a year from now, you will look back on today and think...ha, all those people were right, it was worth it!

On a medical note, ask your nurses if they are using both Zofran and Phenergan and ask them for Transderm-Scop (it's a little sticker that goes behind your ear). The only thing that got me past the nausea was to tell them to stop the IV narcotics. I got exponentially better after that, so if you think that might be the problem, they can give you liquid OTC pain meds instead. I had no need for heavy drugs after surgery and the vast improvement in my nausea only started when they stopped giving me the IV drugs.

I'm about 18 days out and feel like this. I ended up with a kidney infection 10 days out and got very dehydrated. I'm still trying to catch up. I feel like if I could just drink Water normally I'd feel so much better. These teeny tiny sips are not doing it.

I am about 9 hours out right now and sooooo nauseated. Such bad gas pain in my left shoulder only BUT I can't walk because I'm soooo dizzy. I have dry heaves which hurt my tummy and I can't have anything for nausea again until 6am!! Please please tell

Me this does get better. My surgeon however DID warn me that the first night it the WORST!!

Of course it gets better. Do you think more than 10 people would have had this surgery if the result was nausea, dizziness, pain, and dry heaving for the rest of their lives? Have you had major surgery before? Seen anyone that's had major surgery before? How many are up bouncing around, feeling great within 24 hours of having the majority of an internal organ removed? Of course you feel like s***t. And like s***t, this too shall pass.

I remember being in so much pain and discomfort after surgery. Not knowing when I was going to feel better was really hard. It took my about quite a few hours to start feeling like I wasn't going to die. Maybe 12 hours after surgery I started improving a lot, and kept feeling better as time went on.

It gets better, every day. I'm two months out and I'm sure it was the best thing I ever did. Try to rest and walk when you can. Best of luck!

Well the doctor just came in and my hemoglobin and hematocrit dropped so they are rechecking it again at 2 and if it is the same, I can go home, if not then I'm staying until tomorrow morning.