Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Septoplasty/Rhinoplasty Recovery -Struggling to Eat

Hi, I'm about 7 weeks post-op VSG. So far, things are going well, no complications. I've lost 52 lbs. yay!

Anyway, I had septoplasty with a small bit of rhinoplasty two days ago. It was outpatient, but recovery really sucks. I think it hurts more than the sleeve did.

Fortunately, they were able to do everything from the inside and not have to cut the skin from my face. However, my throat is raw, my mouth hurts and the packing and inner/outer splints make chewing and swallowing difficult.

I haven't been eating much as a result. I manage to get in my fluids and about a tablespoon of steel cut oatmeal with Protein Powder in. Today I tried to get down an ounce of shredded chicken, but felt miserable.

I think also the post nasal drainage and antibiotics are making my little tummy feel off.

I'm wondering if it's super important to keep eating or if just focusing on fluids in enough right now. Since the nose surgery, I'm losing 1.3 lbs a day. Seems a little high, but I just want to sleep and hope to feel better soon.

Any advice?

I would reach out to your bariatric team, but I would think for the next few days at least fluids would be primary and I wouldn't want to eat to make myself sick. But your NUT might have some suggestions about foods that may be easier for you to tolerate.

also maybe some chicken broth? things like that?

By all means, reach out to your surgeons. They will know what's best.

As an old fashion gal, I would recommend some bone broth with nutritional yeast sprinkled on top.

Let us know how you're doing. We do care

Prayers going up.

Ugh! Miserable surgery!!! I think I have PTSD from my Dr removing the packing. ???? Fluids are obviously the most important right now but you could try making a icy Protein Shake to see if that helps (even sherbet consistency would be good). Hope you heal fast!

Thanks so much for the support. Today I tried drinking some of a premiere Protein shake. I only managed half, but better than nothing.

I gave broth a try, but being not that far away from liquid phase, it's not something I wanted to go back to. Unfortunately, even the low sodium burns my throat and roof of mouth. I'll try again in a day or two.

So far, chewing ice has been the best thing ever. The pain meds wear off before the next dose, but ice numbs things up.

It sucks to not smell or taste. :-(

Sorry you are having such a rough time, hopefully you will heal quickly. Definitely liquids and Protein are top priorities. Even sipping the small amounts of Protein Shakes, as frequently as you can handle will be helpful for healing. Feel better soon

Yes drink plenty of Protein until you can get back to solids

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App