Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone starting weight at 200 lbs? Help :)

To the OP --

When you attend a WLS introductory lecture, typically 3 hours long and conducted by bariatric surgeons, you will learn a lot more about the permanence of weight loss surgery and the changes WLS requires for the rest of your life to maintain weight loss.

WLS will help you lose weight. And although it continues to be a tool that supports weight maintenance, you can gain all your weight back if you go back to the way you were eating / living before.

The right questions to ask yourself are: What lifestyle led you to weigh 200 pounds, and what different lifestyle will you lead post-surgery?

Best to you.

Realistically, with such a low starting weight, OP will need to go to Mexico and self pay, where an introductory lecture won't be an option.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I was where you are now 20 years ago and ended up at 271 (290 at my heaviest) with high blood pressure and cholesterol and blood sugar. If I had realized where I was going to end up, I'd've done this then. I was sleeved on 2/29 and am down 42 pds. I'm losing 2 pds a week (NOT keeping my carbs under 50 grams) on just under 1,000 calories a day. Blood pressure is normal and not on any meds. I'm completely satisfied with what I eat and 8 pds a month is perfectly fine with me. My advice is to go for it now before you end up where you really don't want to be.

Weighed in at 199 day of Surgery now at 173-175lbs now im 8 weeks post op weight loss is going slow for me. Love the decision I made and im learning to go with the flow when it comes to weightloss I know this is my new lifestyle.

I was sleeved on 4/28 and started out weighing 212 at 5'4". I am now down 24 lbs at 188. Hit a stall at a week and a half and didn't lose anything for about a week or so. Aside from the stall, weight loss has been fairly steady and I am happy with my progress.

I started at 206 and had surgery feb. 1. I have has complications with 24/7 nausea for two months and then could only eat eggs, cheese, cottage cheese, and broths. I now hate all of them. Two weeks ago I was able to start eating almonds and sunflower seeds. Started trying different foods again and can now eat yogurt, oatmeal and a few other things. Everything else still tastes funny. Especially carbs....don't like bread especially. I have lost 73 lbs. In three and a half months. I know some would say I am lucky but this journey so far has been hell. Everyone else was eating a lot of different foods at one month out. I am at least three months behind. I also have to be scared that I will lose too much. I look like a skeleton and not healthy. Slowly getting energy back but have lost a lot of muscle. See some hope now...finally...but did not have ANY support from my surgeon. They are just now concerned with stopping the rapid weight loss. I have been asking for help for months. I was happier before surgery. My cholesterol is great though and sleep apnea and GERD are totally gone. Other things good too....but struggling with depression. Again, though, things finally look like they are getting better. Just goes to show that everyone is different. Isopure Fruit drinks made all the difference in the world for me....

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using the BariatricPal App

I had a starting weight of 203lbs on my 5'3" frame. I'm eight months out from my sleeve surgery and am now 146lbs. I am going slowly but surely and have no complaints whatsoever. I feel WONDERFUL. Best that I have for years and years. Still want to lose another 26lbs but am more than prepared for it to take a while longer. After all, the extra pounds didn't just pile onto my frame over a few weeks. Oh no, that fat was stealthy and sneaky and slipped on without me paying it too much attention. I just turned a blind eye as I gave my full attention into sinking my teeth into something sweet and carb rich!!!!!

Here is another perspective. ...I had sleeve in Dec 2011...took me 14 months to lose 150#. For the first time in my life I am maintaining a normal size for over 3 years now!!! The whole thing with WLS isn't how fast you lose it, it's how long you keep it lost!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using the BariatricPal App

"The whole thing with WLS isn't how fast you lose it, it's how long you keep it lost!"

^^^This. @CowgirlJane is a pretty smart lady!

You are right about it being most important that the weight stays off but let us not forget how hard this is for some. I think it is easy to be insensitive to those who are scared and don't know what to expect. We need support, not platitudes.

You are right about it being most important that the weight stays off but let us not forget how hard this is for some. I think it is easy to be insensitive to those who are scared and don't know what to expect. We need support, not platitudes.

I completely understand that you may be scared, but how were the last posters insensitive?

If you read back to the OP she states she was "bummed and discouraged" because she discovered she was going to lose slower than others because she is at a lower starting weight and only has 60-70 pounds to lose. She ended by asking for input from members with similar stats to share their weight loss stories.

They took the time and they responded. They made the very good point that while it may take longer, they are maintaining their loss and that's what most people want- a loss that finally doesn't come back!

So how was that insensitive? Them taking their time to respond? Sharing their opinion? I think both posters were incredibly supportive.

I'm sorry you aren't feeling well and I'm sure there are some threads that can address the issues you are having. I'm fairly new to this site and am incredibly thankful (and at times in awe) of how thoughtful and caring the majority of members are. There are members here, especially veterans who's advice I value and respect. Even when it's tough love!

I truly hope you feel better. Best of luck with your journey.

Edited by jaxmom

I agree, thanks to everyone for their support! Every single post has been helpful and like I said in the beginning, any weight loss is good I was just trying to get input from others "similar" to me...

Again, thank you to everyone taking their time! Like jaxmom stated, it's nice to see that there are a lot of caring people out there! :)

Asolanom - do you have a date yet? Keep us posted, can't wait to hear about your experience. :) :)

I had the surgery because I coudl not lsoe the weight without it. I had pre diabeties and insulin resistance and my doc said it makes it hard to lose weight. So I set out to prove him wrong gym 4 days a week for nine months ate healthy stuff only... lost ohh about 30 ish pounds. I was so disappointed. The surgery is not the 100 % fix it all. But it helps. A LOT! ... You still have to be very careful about what you eat.... I weigh all my food before eating...I think about food a lot more now then I did before the surgery. I think its worth it all the way. It has made a huge difference in my life... and what I can now do as to what I couldn't do before I had it. I don't think 200 lbs is terribly overweight....But in the end what matters is how you feel and your health...I don't know for everyone but for me... I am allowed so many carbs not sure how many but I eat no carbs... at all. If you want this to work for you follow the diets.... it has worked for me better then I ever expected. at first it came off really slow and I thought ohh no its not gonna work for me etc...Then it just kind of took off. I did hear the less you need to lose the slower it comes off... but remember its a journey, nothing is instant... and having weight loss surgery is the same. you still have to work for it... but it makes it a bit easier when a small amount of food makes you feel full... and your not starving hungry... you do have to remember eat your 3 small meals... I notice when I moved I had skipped a few meals busy moving and rehabbing the place I bought... that my weight loss stopped. as soon as I got back on track of my 3 small meals and a snack ( usually a fruit one specific I have craved watermelon since my surgery... before surgery I didn't like watermelon) the weight started coming off again. I think it works regardless of how much you need to lose... The excess skin is not exactly wonderful but the healthy... feeling good more than make up for it. remember to research and think long and hard as it's forever. in my opinion it is worth it!. I would do it again.... if I had to... good luck with your journey.

@caridickerson I have insulin resistance as well, you are correct you can't lose weight... Are you saying that remains the case even with surgery?

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them"

Einstein