Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What was your goal weight set by your surgeon?

Hey everyone!

So today I got my second appointment and I'm ready to get my sleeve done. My surgery date is June 8.

I asked my surgeon how much my weight loss would be after I'm healed. I'm 5"4 and 178 lbs (BMI 30.8).

He told my my goal weight would be 139 lbs, but I thought it would be lower. I want it to be lower, around 125-130 lbs.

What were your stats at the beginning and what is your weight now? And did you go below the weight your surgeon told you?

Please also mention your surgery date and the weight loss you got until now.

Thanks in advance!

my surgeon didn't set one, he asked what my goals were, I think to make sure I had a realistic understanding of what to expect from surgery.

he thinks I will blow right past my goal of 160, but we will see. I just want to not have diabetes, and to obviously weigh less than my husband. I technically weigh less than him now, but that is not good enough. ;-)

my highest ever weight that I know of was 267. I was 262 at my consult/seminar. I was 238 at surgery and 201 last Monday at 3 months out. right on track. I am 5'1.5" - just a wee short fireball.

Mine didn't set a target, said he didn't want to either set me up for feeling like a failure if I didn't reach it, and he didn't want to give me too "easy" a number and have me quit before reaching my potential.

Basically, up to me. I'm 5'8" according to them measuring me, but I always thought I was 5'10". BMI range is 140-160. Initially I was thinking 160, but now I want to try for 140 within 18 months so I have some wiggle room and not freak out, but we shall see.

Frankly, anything in Onederland will make me orgasmic at this point!

Mine didn't set one and I didn't either, just a vague notion I liked being 165 and was thrilled the one time I got to 155 as an adult (I'm 5'6"). I blew by both of those and landed at 135

Mine did not set a goal for me. I wasn't asked about my goal weight until my 3 month post-op appointment, and was told that I'd likely go past it.

My nurse felt my wrist, told me I was "medium boned" and told me what weight she thought I would get to based on my height and age.

There are a lot of factors that go into the number that shows up on the scale. Someone that is 140 lbs and muscular would likely look similar and fit into the same sizes as someone who has less muscle content and is 120 lbs. And then there are the things we can not change, such as our bone density.

If I were you I would set an attainable goal, based on the average weight at a healthy BMI for someone of your height. If you work hard, you will likely get to it, or past it. It is likely that you will be happy with how you feel and look at a weight that is different than your current goal weight.

Your doctor is trying to manage your expectations and keep you from being dissappointed, and is probably overestimating your goal weight so that you surpass it and feel more proud of your progress.

Best of luck to you!

stats at the beginning and what is weight now?

@@Sveglia

DOS

12/15/11

235 lbs

57 years OLD

present

136 lbs

(6 lbs OVER goal!!)

working on that

62 years YOUNG

i was never given a goal weight

yearssss ago i weighed 155 lbs

lookin' and feeling great!!

i used that # (155) as my baseline

reached my personal goal of 130 one year PO

now 4+ years PO

i have gained 6 lb :o

workin' on fixing that!!

oh well, back to the Protein shake bar!!

good luck

kathy

Thank you, Kathy @@proudgrammy! I'm sooo excited for surgery, and your stats are AMAZING! I don't want to get my hopes up too high, but boy, you blew threw those numbers great! Keep these great stories coming, so inspiring!

My surgeon didn't set a goal, just asked me what goals I had and confirmed I wasn't being nuts, and I was realistic. HW 258, VSG 08/19/15, now 155.

stats are AMAZING!

@@Heather I

blush, blush - thanx

yeah, you are right!!

i am pretty amazing!!! :lol:

many, many, many/most people are great/successful

but.... i am amazing, can't help myself!! LOL

you said "don't want to get my hopes up too high"

many OP do set their expectations/hopes too high

on the other hand, don't underestimate yourself either

do what your supposed to do

follow all the rules

you might grow up to be amazing too!! LOL

August is the BEST month to get sleeved!!

see you in sleeveland

good luck

speedy recovery

kathy