Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I losing enough weight post-op?

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting. I was sleeved on 5/11/16. Basically, 2 weeks ago. I was 222 when I checked into the hospital, 233 when I left the hospital and this morning I was 205. I feel like I'm barely losing weight. I guess j thought it would practically melt off!! What was everyone else's weight loss like right after surgery?

It's different for everyone. It isn't a race. it isn't about how much you can lose in X amount of time. Especially for the rift month to six weeks. your body has one overriding goal - healing from the trauma of surgery. Weight loss is secondary to that as far as your body is concerned. Follow your postop instructions, and you will be successful!

You think 17 lbs in two weeks is barely losing? What were you expecting?

Couple pieces of advice looking forward:

--you are very likely about to hit a stall that will last a couple of weeks. Stay off the scale if that will upset you.

--30+ lbs per month (which is what you would be at if your rate of loss stayed the same) is almost unheard of, especially for women. So you should expect your long-term rate of weight loss to slow down significantly. If it doesn't, you can be pleasantly surprised, but in no way should you expect to keep losing at the incredibly fast rate you are losing right now. Enjoy it while you can.

--don't look to compare your rate of weight loss to other people's. I know it is tempting but it never ends well. "Comparison is the thief of joy" -- Teddy Roosevelt. Though to be honest I have never heard of a woman losing as fast as you are post op so maybe it would make you happy!

That's over a pound a day! Have you ever loss that much before on a diet? I hate to tell you but you will shortly see a stall for a week or 2 and then HOPEFULLY a 2-3lb a week if you exercise regularly.

Over a pound a day is melting. I am much much larger than you and lost 10lbs in 10 days after surgery. I am staying off the scale until I see my surgeon next month because I read about the 3 week in stall.

Sent from my SM-G930P using the BariatricPal App

I was sleeved on 5/10. I've lost 13 lbs since surgery and 21 including pre-op diet. I've been stalled for a few days. Trying not to stress and just following my doctors instructions.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I was sleeved 5-17 and I've lost almost 13 pounds in 2 weeks (12.7). I lost 12 pounds on the pre-op diet so it's a total of 24.7 pounds in 24 days, that's a pound a day. My scale has been fluctuating 2-3 pounds the last few days which is frustrating but I just try and remind myself that this is an amazing rate and I can't be greedy or rush things. I think 17 pounds is fantastic! Just keep moving forward. :)

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting. I was sleeved on 5/11/16. Basically, 2 weeks ago. I was 222 when I checked into the hospital, 233 when I left the hospital and this morning I was 205. I feel like I'm barely losing weight. I guess j thought it would practically melt off!! What was everyone else's weight loss like right after surgery?

It's not a race. None of us lose at a constant or steady rate. We all experience periodic stalls and slow downs. Almost everyone experiences a stall about three weeks after surgery.

Just follow your program. Focus on getting in all of your Protein and fluids, take your Vitamins and supplements as directed, exercise when cleared, stay off the scale.

And, Embrace the Stall

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

I was sleeved on 5/10 at 229. Today at exactly 3 weeks post op I am at 212 so 17 lbs (most in the first two weeks with a stall that settled in over the last week). This has me ecstatic! Try not to compare to others and trust the process. As long as you follow your doctor's plan the weight should come off. Be prepared for weight loss to slow down and sometimes stall for days or weeks.

I don't know who put the crazy thoughts in your head, but I have seriously never heard of anyone thinking 17 pounds in two weeks was slow. I lost 17 pounds the first 3 MONTHS after my surgery and I thought that was fabulous. If you don't change your expectations to match reality then you are going to be a very sad camper in a couple weeks once your loss comes to a complete standstill when you hit a stall and your weight loss slows to a much more normal rate.

I don't know who put the crazy thoughts in your head, but I have seriously never heard of anyone thinking 17 pounds in two weeks was slow. I lost 17 pounds the first 3 MONTHS after my surgery and I thought that was fabulous. If you don't change your expectations to match reality then you are going to be a very sad camper in a couple weeks once your loss comes to a complete standstill when you hit a stall and your weight loss slows to a much more normal rate.

good advice. Wonder where the OP is at?

Probably a troll

I had my sleeve on May 16 I'm down 23 pounds and have been stalled for almost a week now which is super frustrating I keep getting told its normal . And I'm not even remotely close to consuming 500 cals I'm like 200 300 at the most

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App