Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wow! Interesting! Thanks for posting!

I know that I am off all my meds for diabetes and have been since 3 months after surgery. (My dr. wanted to wait for an all post-surgery A1C.) Its been amazing for me. It wasn't the only reason I had surgery, but has been a happy outcome!

pam

interesting article. Being diagnosed with diabetes was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I went to the seminar within 2 months of getting the diagnosis.

have been off diabetes medicine since 3 days before surgery and my sugars and A1c are completely normal. and I FEEL better. I hope that getting the word out can help more people be brave enough to consider surgery.

So I had a visit with my PCP (not WLS-related) on Wednesday and I told her that the Endocrinologist had determined my diabetes was "resolved". Her response was "We don't consider it resolved. We call it diet-controlled. If you eat poorly again it will change" I wanted to say to her "Um no..." If it was diet-controlled, then they wouldn't have removed my diabetes meds in the hospital and sent me home without it - i.e. BEFORE it could be diet / weight loss related. Now, don't get me wrong, I still tell each dr I see (including recent plastics surgeon consult) that I have / had diabetes - especially if I am going to have surgery or anesthesia of any kind. I want them monitoring my blood sugar just in case. BUT it did really make me question how much my PCP actually knows / understands about WLS.

@@Inner Surfer Girl

Great article.

Many factors on diabetics and surgery that are still in the research phase. The surgery does amazing things with diabetics. People off medication. Getting their health back.

This is what I have experienced as a type 1 Diabetic...In perspective of complications with surgery, This is not a big thing to manage. (only two concerns driving and sleeping)

I had no pancreas function before surgery. After surgery at 6 months out. My pancreas started working by releasing large amounts of insulin. The Insulin release drops your blood sugar. (reactive hypoglycemia) Normal range of blood sugar is 120 - 70. The low blood sugar can happen at any time..No pattern to them.

I'm not sure how to explain this so bare with me...Here is how I manage what is going on.

6:35pm Test..BS 70..I don't want it to go lower. I eat a meal.

6:40pm test BS 66 - Drink orange juice

6:50pm test BS 105..I'm Normal

7:41pm I'm shaky dizzy..test BS 62 orange juice and a Protein & vegetable snack

8:12pm test BS 168..I feel safe enough to sleep. My lowest was 24 in the middle of the night.

So with that..If I have sugar in large amounts..I will still have high blood sugar and use Insulin. I hardly use my insulin because I eat healthy and exercise. I am a well controlled type 1. :)

So I had a visit with my PCP (not WLS-related) on Wednesday and I told her that the Endocrinologist had determined my diabetes was "resolved". Her response was "We don't consider it resolved. We call it diet-controlled. If you eat poorly again it will change" I wanted to say to her "Um no..." If it was diet-controlled, then they wouldn't have removed my diabetes meds in the hospital and sent me home without it - i.e. BEFORE it could be diet / weight loss related. Now, don't get me wrong, I still tell each dr I see (including recent plastics surgeon consult) that I have / had diabetes - especially if I am going to have surgery or anesthesia of any kind. I want them monitoring my blood sugar just in case. BUT it did really make me question how much my PCP actually knows / understands about WLS.

I was told once my A1c was normal my diabetes would be "resolved" or in "remission" I understand if I eat junk I can develop diabetes again. diabetes is now listed as a former condition in my medical record.

I was told once my A1c was normal my diabetes would be "resolved" or in "remission" I understand if I eat junk I can develop diabetes again. diabetes is now listed as a former condition in my medical record.

My last A1C was 5.7 (which is technically borderline) but my endocrinologist felt comfortable declaring it as "resolved" or in "remission" as you said. It is still listed as former condition but I would disagree with the term PCP used of "diet-controlled", wouldn't you? My point being this was controlled before the diet changes began. I am sure I could be declared diabetic in the future if I took to eating lots of carbs and gained a lot of weight back, so maybe that is what she meant by it being "diet-controlled"?

And to @@jenn1 point - I am (was) Type 2 which is quite different than Type 1, so I am not sure of all the differences in how it can affect Type 1. Not sure "Type 1" is ever "resolved" as it is something born with not diet-triggered as Type 2 is (or was in my case although I had genetics at play - grandfather, aunt, mother, cousins...) Luckily I do not have to even test my sugars anymore (unless significant diet changes or in the event of surgery or injury). I know that is not the case with Type 1 and seems that Type 1 can be much more difficult to deal / live with. My best wishes to you Jenn!

My last A1C was 5.7 (which is technically borderline) but my endocrinologist felt comfortable declaring it as "resolved" or in "remission" as you said. It is still listed as former condition but I would disagree with the term PCP used of "diet-controlled", wouldn't you? My point being this was controlled before the diet changes began. I am sure I could be declared diabetic in the future if I took to eating lots of carbs and gained a lot of weight back, so maybe that is what she meant by it being "diet-controlled"?

Yup. I would agree with you. I think of diet controlled where if I have a bad day and eat Cookies it is high. that is not the case now. I would have to eat poorly for some time to go back to having high blood sugars, which is what makes it resolved or in remission. and it feels GREAT. I hate metformin with a purple passion, so I am pretty determined to not go back to that place.

@@Daisee68 @@Christinamo7

Diet control is a diet of not eating sugars and carbs to control your A1C. You can have diet controlled diabetes without surgery.

I'm not fond of the term resolved. I like remission..Your A1C can change.

Just mentioning how surgery changes things for type1 & Type2 diabetes...After surgery, my pancreas kicked in. My Dr's have no explanation. My hope is the research continues..That they might find a cure for diabetes.

Type one is the same as dealing with type two. It all sucks..lol