Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cake Tasting! [emoji546][emoji1445]

Hello! I am 5 weeks post op VSG... Everything is going wonderful! I am having my wedding this September and have made a Cake Tasting appt w Hubby! Would it be absolutely wrong to take a tiny taste of the samples? It's my wedding after all and I wanna ensure the cake is tasty. I was never a sweets person to begin with so it'll be for mere taste. I follow all Dr's orders but need input! Thanks y'all!!

At 5 weeks there is nothing wrong with a bite or two of cake. If you eat the whole piece, yes, you're probably going to get sick, but if you have a single bite of each sample, you will be fine. I love cake tasting now because I can literally eat a single bite of each option and feel pretty satisfied afterward. I would say that if you know which of thee 5-8 they have you taste you are most likely to choose, pick the three that you think you would like best and that your future husband does like and have a bite of only those.

You aren't going to hurt yourself with a few bites of cake and as you said, it's your wedding. The entire point of the sleeve is to be able to live a life you couldn't before surgery. Skipping a taste testing is not living a life.

OK, counter-argument coming at you here. Get ready for some sarcasm -- I just don't have time to edit it out this morning.

You're getting married in 3 months, so you can justify splurging lots of times between now and then. Showers, luncheons, nights out with the girls -- it's all an opportunity to eat / drink "just this one last time." Right?

And then, of course, there's the week before the wedding. All those preparations. All those out-of-town guests. And then the big night! And then comes the honeymoon, probably at an all-inclusive resort. All of these are "once in a lifetime" experiences, right?

Then comes the stress of post-honeymoon life -- young married life is great, but it has ups and downs and other first-time-evers, not all of which are going to be happily-ever-afters. Imma guess stress-eating might've played a role in your pre-op life. Right?

You get my drift. Where's your line in the sand? If you don't draw it somewhere you can never stop crossing it.

A couple bites won't kill you

enjoy your wedding and everything leading up to it. Cake tasting, food tasting, picking out flowers...enjoy it all! When it comes to food tastings just take little bites.

@@Sandra86says

I know we all get a psych eval before surgery; have you considered continuing seeing a therapist? I am saying this because I can see @@VSGAnn2014's point, but I also believe you need to enjoy the events leading up to your wedding. If stress or emotional eating was a problem for you pre-op, you definitely want to get that in check for the challenges that come later in life overall.

We are all here because of bad choices during pre-op life, but the point of this life changing surgery is to regain control and learn/re-learn healthy habits; we had gastric sleeve surgery, not brain surgery to rid of our bad habits, so my recommendation would be, besides taking to surgeon and NUT, to seek help in the form of therapist or psychologist to gauge where you are now and where your thinking is at.

Enjoy your wedding preparations!

OK, counter-argument coming at you here. Get ready for some sarcasm -- I just don't have time to edit it out this morning.

You're getting married in 3 months, so you can justify splurging lots of times between now and then. Showers, luncheons, nights out with the girls -- it's all an opportunity to eat / drink "just this one last time." Right?

And then, of course, there's the week before the wedding. All those preparations. All those out-of-town guests. And then the big night! And then comes the honeymoon, probably at an all-inclusive resort. All of these are "once in a lifetime" experiences, right?

Then comes the stress of post-honeymoon life -- young married life is great, but it has ups and downs and other first-time-evers, not all of which are going to be happily-ever-afters. Imma guess stress-eating might've played a role in your pre-op life. Right?

You get my drift. Where's your line in the sand? If you don't draw it somewhere you can never stop crossing it.

Well said !!!!

At 5 weeks I wouldn't. I would talk to your dr and nut

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I guess I'm more afraid of getting sick etc... I'll take Hubbys word for it lol
I agree with the getting sick. Too much sugar caused me to feel nauseous for about 1 hr and that was just a couple sips of a milk shake.

I'm about 4 1/2 months out

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by cindyw41

You are only getting married once (hopefully)... enjoy the experience!

You can have your cake and eat it too... on the days that you do splurge on naughty stuff... supplement it with an extra hour on the treadmill or reduce your calories in other ways.

It is about balance.. you can have your tasting of cake...but give yourself a boundry.. one bite... just don't go having the entire slice of each.

I wouldn't want to not be involved in the enjoyment of doing the traditional wedding stuff... its a milestone that should be enjoyed.. and yes cake is part of that... 1 bite will not kill you.. it might make you dump... but its good test for the wedding day... you do not want to dump at your reception!!

Congratulations on your wedding

Edited by AussieGirl81

I tend to agree with Ann in general, but without knowing you, I can't be sure.

What was your arch nemesis that led you to obesity? Your success will depend on slaying that dragon. In my case, I OD'd on the low carb lifestyle. I'd go months without eating as much as a cracker, but order macadamia nuts in 4 lb bags from Hawaii.

Now I eat limited carbs and avoid high calorie foods - it works for me.

What I'm getting at is, what role did cake or sweets play in your demise. If they were your downfall, avoid them like the plague until you hit your goal and go into maintenance. You'll need that 6-18 month period to develop new habits.

Of course if your downfall was nuts, eat some cake!

I tend to agree with Ann in general, but without knowing you, I can't be sure.

What was your arch nemesis that led you to obesity? Your success will depend on slaying that dragon. In my case, I OD'd on the low carb lifestyle. I'd go months without eating as much as a cracker, but order macadamia nuts in 4 lb bags from Hawaii.

Now I eat limited carbs and avoid high calorie foods - it works for me.

What I'm getting at is, what role did cake or sweets play in your demise. If they were your downfall, avoid them like the plague until you hit your goal and go into maintenance. You'll need that 6-18 month period to develop new habits.

Of course if your downfall was nuts, eat some cake!

Thanks for your input!

I'm def NOT a sweets person! I was a pizza and Pasta kind of gal before VSG! I can have a tiny bite of cake and be done... It's not "crack" to me, LOL. However, pizza I'm afraid I'm def not gonna mess with because that was my addiction. The only sweets I liked was cheesecake.