Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to Choose a Nutritionist

I've made it through the the first 2 weeks post op! Happily moving on to the soft food phase and enjoying a ricotta bake right now.

Anyway, I don't have a nutritionist, but would like to find one. My surgeons office had me do one required appointment with the dietary department at the local hospital, but that's it. Since my insurance doesn't cover any of this and it's all self pay, I want to shop around and not stick with the hospital. I have a couple of questions about choosing a nutritionist:

1. What is a nutritionist vs a dietician?

2. How often do you consult with a nutritionist?

3. What value do they add to your plan? Do they just review your food log and make recommendations?

4. Any specific things I should look for (or steer clear of) as I research my local options?

Thanks, Christi

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@cseidman I think it is important to find a nutritionist / dietician with Bariatric Surgery experience. I don't know how easy that is to find. I'm lucky that my Bariatric Program has all of the Team members under the same umbrella. Depending on what you are looking for from this person will depend on how often you consult with them. I'm meeting with mine once per month pre-surgery - but I don't believe I'll need that same frequency post-op. They do a wide variety of things to help - including education as to what is the right plan to follow, foods to eat, Protein amounts, etc.

Honestly, if I was going to pay for someone to provide education/assistance - I'd seek a counselor with Bariatric Surgery or eating disorder experience over a nutritionist. I know what I'm supposed to eat - it's a matter of actually sticking with it and not being an emotional eater or mindlessly eating.

Are there any Group sessions as part of your Program? Maybe try one of those first.

I went to a bariatric center and they had a nutritionist on staff. She was great

I'm also thinking about this! I did not like the nutritionist that worked with my surgeon and so I have not seen her since before my surgery. She didn't really respect my expertise, talking down to me like I had no clue that soda and bread were not recommended and that I should turn to high Protein and veggies.

So maybe to open this up: if your issue is portions, but not food choices (IE. I could sit down and eat 100 servings of something nutritious, but I almost never, ever eat junk)...do you need a nutritionist? Are there NUTs out there who work with patients who know what to eat, but just struggle sometimes with Portion Control?

My physician sent me a referral for a NUT after I told her I was not interested. I was offended at first, but I wonder whether I can get something out of this...thoughts?

Ugh, so a friend recommended a local nutritionist in private practice. She raved about how wonderful she is, how she doesn't just lecture about what foods to eat and what not to eat. She's a counselor as well and works with her clients on emotional eating, relationships with food, etc. Sounds great right? Well I was just on her website and reading about her philosophy, and she goes on a lengthy rant against bariatric surgery and how it's a horrible mutilation of the body.

Now I'm angry and discouraged. She won't be getting me as a client. I want someone who respects the decision I made and will work with me to insure my continued success toward a healthier life.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

dietitian vs nutritionist - you have to be registered to be a dietitian. I don't think the term "nutritionist" is regulated. Dietitians are nutritionists, but not all nutritionists are dietitians. Or at least that's how I always understood it.