Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BMI calculator is a real *******

Ok, so I started this morning off to a good start...weighed myself and saw another 3 lbs loss. Awesome me....yeah, yadda ya.

I get to work and decide to check the BMI calculator....that a$$hole told me I was still overweight! On the bright side, I am no longer morbidly obese or even obese...but damn...I don't want to be overweight anymore either!

Yes...poor pitiful me...I shouldn't complain, I am doing great, but....still! Sorry, having a bad morning..feel free to skip over this self absorbed thread of mine.

My goal weight was still in the overweight range. For me, it's about feeling healthy and looking good, not numbers on some scale or chart. I just now dipped down into the "healthy" BMI range as I am going through a divorce and under a lot of stress and dropped about 8 pounds in two weeks without trying. I'm going to work to put the weight back on once I get through this stressful period, because I am not happy being this skinny. I hate that I can count my ribs through my skin now! And I have veins popping up all over my wrists and forearms now... it's gross.

@@Pillar2butterfly I think the BMI scale is completely unrealistic! They consider 104 lbs to be "healthy weight" for someone my height (5'2"). I would be skin and bones - and I don't consider that healthy or attractive. I know others strive to be that "skinny" - but I'm not one of them.

Yep. Well I just had to hit a stall right exactly on the 25 BMI. Just one or two more pounds of loss would put me in the normal BMI category of weight and now I'm pissed. LOL

Oh my gosh yes! It makes me nuts!! We all know it's absurd, since two people with radically different body fat ratios but the same weight are the same BMI, and health doesn't enter into it. What gets me is how it is still used as a measure for so many things in medicine and health-related industries. Sheesh.

My doctor even said the BMI scale is crap. The goal weight they set for me is still in the overweight category (170). My goal is to get to about 150ish but we will see how I feel both physically and mentally when I get a bit closer and go from there. I'm currently 34 lbs from Drs goal weight.

For 3 years now I've had the goal weight on my ticker at 155 which would put me at a "normal" BMI. Now I don't think that's a good weight for me. I've now changed it to 163 which is my lowest adult weight. But that was 40 years ago & my body composition has changed a lot. I've discovered bones I didn't remember feeling before & have had to buy an inflatable cushion to sit on! My PCP said that even a weight of 170 would be good for me. I'll talk to her about it again when I see her next week & I'll also talk to the surgeon when I see him next month.

For 3 years now I've had the goal weight on my ticker at 155 which would put me at a "normal" BMI. Now I don't think that's a good weight for me. I've now changed it to 163 which is my lowest adult weight. But that was 40 years ago & my body composition has changed a lot. I've discovered bones I didn't remember feeling before & have had to buy an inflatable cushion to sit on! My PCP said that even a weight of 170 would be good for me. I'll talk to her about it again when I see her next week & I'll also talk to the surgeon when I see him next month.

SO smart @Peggy D! I know I can get attached to a challenge, and my doc's goal for me was even worded as a challenge! He set a goal of 145 because it would put me just inside of a normal BMI, --which I know for me would likely not be healthy (I'm 53 years old, presently 177 at 5'4"). My personal goal has been 150 during this road, but I'm thinking that staying around 155 or under 160 is a more realistic goal. I know maintenance will take work, but I think maintaining at that low a body fat I'd be fighting my body almost hourly, lol.

Thank you everyone for your responses....I am 155 now..and my goal originally was 150 lbs...but looking at my hips and thighs, i can do better than that...seems like I have nothing to lose anywhere else BUT there....so I'm still thinking going down to 135....hopefully that pesky BMI calculator will not mock me then! So, twenty to go....

I agree with everyone else, BMI are a crapper...and unrealistic. Honestly, I haven't been 155 since high school, and that was in 1988...so that I am here again is nothing short of miraculous. Thanks for bearing with my temporary pity party...

I'm pretty tall. I'm not worried about the BMI calculator to be honest because if I got to 140 , even 160 I would look like a human skeleton. It's whatever is healthy for you, not what a man made chart says.Different ethnicities and genetics cause differences in body type and how people carry weight.