Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't get motivated [emoji30]

@@KrispyChickens78

Take credit for being a weight lifter...All of us carried/lifted our excess body weight. You are stronger than you think you are. ;)

I was a couch potato. I knew exercise was a requirement. It was a chore at first. I had to decide if I wanted to waste this opportunity or get what I wanted out of it.

Motivation: Find what is fun and excites you. Reward yourself for the big and little goals. Document each month. Save a pair of pants.(If you have days you struggle put them on). Join a gym,Get involved with weight loss challenges, sporting events, fun physical activities, charity events and just savor life before it's gone.

It took me about 4 months after surgery to really start regular exercise. And it was really only because I didn't consider it exercise - I love swimming and pretty much just lived at the pool over the summer as soon as it opened. I also bought a cute bike and started riding it and having fun - not pushing myself to go so many miles or anything - just riding around the neighborhood, over the humpbacked bridge and flying down the street like I was a kid again.

I started walking for fun after the pool closed for the season as I had a really neat trail near my house that circled a wildlife area. I went and started bird/animal watching. I would snap pics (to look up the type of bird/snake/turtle later) and listen to my music and got some fresh air and then started realizing that I was having fun getting out there, sweating and seeing how many miles I could get in each day. And over the winter, there is nothing like a cold walk along the bayou watching the sun come up to feel energized for me. :)

I started using walking as my replacement for "stuff food in my mouth when I'm depressed" feelings. When I got really sad or down, I'd thrown on my walking shoes and go do a circle around the track. I stopped feeling so depressed because exercise really does lift you out of those funks, and I was enjoying the sense of accomplishment.

I found a free yoga class and love it. I do bodyweight routines because I love the challenge and trying to build muscle. And all because I decided to not seek out exercise for exercising's sake. I'm having fun!!

I think the big thing to realize is that exercise doesn't have to be boring, a chore, or hard work. It is much better if you can find something you enjoy and want to do - feel excited about getting to do - so you keep doing it. What sort of things did you like to do as a kid? Bike? Play a sport? Rollerskate? Climb trees (rockclimbing)? Swim? Go find out if it's something you still might like to do... you do not have to be good at it - just go have fun!

Edited by FrankiesGirl

My fitbit motivates me... if you can find others to do challenges with you it rrally helps me at least do my 10000 steps. It was a good investment for me

I agree -- early on, my Fitbit was da bomb. As I lost weight I was able to walk and move so much more than I'd been able to do in years.

Get one of those (or something similar).

And don't do any exercise that will hurt your joints! The point is to get healthier and fitter. That doesn't happen overnight. But you will be amazed at how much fitter you can get if you do something physical every day -- and do a little more of it every week. It's magical!

I like group exercise. It is great for comraderie and keeps me motivated participating with others. I love my Fitbit especially doing challenges. I love Zumba it is fun and gets you moving. Find something you like.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thanks guys :) I used to play volleyball, and I've been trying to do more fun things like walk the zoo. I have a gym membership, currently, I just need to get over my anxiety about working out in front of people and I should be good. Thanks for the ideas! I might try swimming.

@@FrankiesGirl posted

I think the big thing to realize is that exercise doesn't have to be boring, a chore, or hard work. It is much better if you can find something you enjoy and want to do - feel excited about getting to do - so you keep doing it. What sort of things did you like to do as a kid? Bike? Play a sport? Rollerskate? Climb trees (rockclimbing)? Swim? Go find out if it's something you still might like to do... you do not have to be good at it - just go have fun! ~

End Quote

I love this so much!!!! It's so true, exercise does not have to be a bore or a chore. When we combine it with something we love it loses the "work" aspect and become something to look forward to.

I love to kayak because I love spying on nature... And fancy fishermen with overpriced gear who have no idea what they are doing and then get their lines caught in tree limbs and say lots of bad bad words and HA! thats proof they have no business being on the Water in the first place and....

Oh wait. I'm sorry. Where was I? Oh yeah.

Combining exercise with a hobby you have is a great idea. Even if it just feeds your inner nosy Mrs. Kravitz. ;)

Heh

Edited by jaxmom