Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Too little caloric intake causing stall?

11 months post op.

I've been religious about logging every.single.bite on myfitnesspal since 2 weeks pre-op.

Once I started eating real food, I was at about 400 calories a day. I worked my way up to 700-750.

But I haven't lost more than 5 pounds since early March.

The last 5 or so days, I've increased my calories to around 900 and lost three pounds.

Could no loss be because I wasn't eating enough? I workout at least 4x per week at 75 minutes a workout - 60 cardio and 15+ with resistance.

I'm down well over 100 pounds now.

I just wish I knew the magic secret to start losing at a more consistant rate - I'm less than 30 pounds from goal now!!!!

750 calories at 11 months post-op is too low especially if you are working out hard. What does your NUT say about where you should be now with calories and Protein ?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using the BariatricPal App

I think a big factor you have to remember is your final sentence. Being 30 pounds from goal is nearly the end of your journey. *Big celebration!!* :-)

It'll be harder because your body is fighting against you to give up the last reserves you have. My doctor said the closer you get to goal weight the higher the likelihood and frequency plateaus occur.

I had to do the same, raising my calories and increasing my workout seemed proportionally the same, if that makes sense. As I added workout intensity and length of time, I added the calories with it and my plateau ended.

Best of luck and congrats!!!

Daniel

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

She said I could increase calories at my last check at 9 months post-op but she didn't say to what.

I'm scared to increase. I have my little niche now where I know what and when to eat...increasing sounds like opening up pandoras box.

I know it seems counter intuitive but it really works. And yes, the Pandora aspect is there, because at one time we were completely unaccountable with food.

The strategy I used incorporated small incremental additions of calories at a time. Approach it like an experiment. You saw success with 900. You can build from there.

My doctor says when weight stalls, you need to mix it up, there is no magic formula but some good old "trial and error"-no one is saying jump to 1,200 calories plus. If you're at 900, I'd build from there. It might also be time to mix up your workout.

Just some friendly suggestions-not trying to be preachy. I was just bummed with my stall and this was the advice I was given from a doctor, a fitness trainer and the nutritionist.

Daniel

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

It could be. I was reading somewhere that if you want to lose 2lbs a week taking into consideration my height & weight now, my calorie limit is 1200 daily.

She said I could increase calories at my last check at 9 months post-op but she didn't say to what.

I'm scared to increase. I have my little niche now where I know what and when to eat...increasing sounds like opening up pandoras box.

Why not try adding an extra protein-based snack?

For what it's worth, I am about 11 1/2 months post-op bypass. I was scared to increase too and she told me at about 8 months to start increasing (and I was at 800 calories per day). She has me up to 1200 right now but I am nearing my goal. I find that at 1100 calories I still lose (and I don't workout as much as you do). It gets easier. You don't want your body to only get use to surviving at 750 calories or maintenance is going to be really tough. As @@Inner Surfer Girl, try adding some Protein Snacks. I still have a Protein shake once per day (30g protein) as a snack. Sometimes I add another snack and sometimes I don't. Just sort of depends on what else I have eaten that day. I am told that 1200 calories will be my lifetime calories, but that seems a little low to me given my height and build, but I will deal with that once I get to goal (6 more pounds).

I am 19 months post-op and I think the calorie goals are very individual, and should be prescribed by your nutritionist. With that said, my nutritionist strongly emphasizes eating small bites for a full 25 minutes, versus prescribing calories. When I pressed her for a number she said between 800 - 1000. I stay within this goal, pretty much religiously. My high weight was 242, I lost 115. Good luck and keep us posted!

I would introduce some healthy saturated fats . Go easy on the carbs .

Sent from my GT-I9195 using the BariatricPal App

For me, I lost 2 months stalled out because I wasn't eating enough. As soon as I bumped up my calories, Protein, and carbs(my NIT had taken them all away when I stalled out in the beginning) then the weight started melting right off again. Being near the end of your journey, I'm sure it gets harder to lose so that might be playing a role in it too...

At 11 months post op you really should be getting more calories. I get about 800-1,000 a day. Im 10 months post op. Your body thinks it's starving, so it's holding on to what you got.

Edited by StefanieSparklePants

This is just my experience. I'm at 7.5 months post surgery and my NUT advised me to increase my caloric intake to 1200. I was around 800-1000/day and stalling regularly. I wasn't eating enough for someone who was spending a lot of calories on working out, hiking and walking.

Try dusting some cayenne pepper over a healthy snack. I do celery but just lightly dust it. Cayenne is suppose to help with your metabolism

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

So does eating Protein.