Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long will my lap band last?

Ive read so many stories lately abojt lapband slipping and having to go with the sleeve or bypass surgery. I am 3 weeks post op zo a little nervous that somethi g may go wrong a few years down the road. I saw a statistic somewhere saying 80% of lapbanders will have there bad removex within 10years due to problems. ... ??? Anyone have some encouraging words on this?

Sent from my SM-G925T using the BariatricPal App

The extent of "encouraging words" may be that, if you do all the right things -- including the small bites/thorough chewing/pause before the next bite routine, the don't overeat routine, the pay-attention-to-satiety-signals routine, the eschew certain foods routine, the learning to know when your band needs adjusting routine ...and all the other routines -- you'll have the best possible chance for keeping your band until the end of the road. Do yourself a favor now and concentrate on becoming partners with your band and feeling positive about your choice and your future. You're at the beginning of a learning process and you're in good shape. Yippee!!

Hey... i followed all the rules... i had my band for 6 years.. lost weight and got to goal.

Unfortunately 5 years after it was placed i started having complications and had it removed 12 months later

Ive been sleeved now for a month..

I know my words are not very encouraging... but other than following all the rules there isnt much more you can do.

Eat slowly... dont adjust it too tight.. stay ontop of your fills, dont eat foods you know get stuck... stay in the green zone.

Edited by AussieGirl81

I have had my lapband since 2009. I am not aware of what complications I may face in the future but I listen to my body. I have not had any fills for 5 years now. I eat slow and chew. Yes, I get stuck and when I do sometimes I vomit. This happens a couple of times a month and always when I am too hungry and eat too fast. I would like to know what I should be looking for in the way of complications....how does one know when the band needs to be removed?

I love my band and plan to have it forever.

I have had my band since 2009 also and I plan on having it for a long time. Sometimes it gets too tight on it's own and I have to go have an unfill. I also have been one who since I have had it vomit alot no matter how I try to eat, small and slow bites but I have never slipped thank God. Just try to follow all the rules and you should be fine.

I'm also a long term bander. We are around. I think you don't hear too much from folks when life just goes along well.

Following bander rules and keeping the band a bit under inflated may help for long term .

I thrilled to be headed for 20 years in December!!

Doc says my band seems fine for life. Yahoo!!

I have had my band for almost eleven years. It still works fine. Best thing I ever did.

I don't think you can really take the comments you hear as proportionate... I had mine with zero issues. Lost 130lbs and beat goal no problem. Lived with it without any fills at all and no issues for two years. Then it eroded for no apparent reason. You can't really predict it. All you can do is follow the guidelines you receive and do the best you can to work the system. Beyond that what will happen will happen. I loved my band and was very successful. I hope you will be too! Best of luck!!!

AS

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by AgentSmith

Oops my post says 20 years ...no way!! 10 is the correct number of years I'm headed for. I can't edit it. So I'm adding this. My doc says my band should be good for life... Fingers and legs! crossed .

My mom was banded in 2007, and she says it was the best decision she has ever made in her life. She lost more that 150 pounds and has kept her weight off.

I, however was banded in March of 2014, in Mexico. It is a 9cc band. I was going to a local bariatric surgeon for fills. But the problem is he charges me $150 for 1/2 cc fill. I only have about three and a half cc's out of a 9 cc band. My problem is that I don't have any restriction and I actually gained all my presurgical weight. I feel like the doctor is taking advantage of me, and not allowing the band to work properly. My mom has 7 cc in her band and I'd doing great. So my question for everybody, is what is the idea fill for them?

Kathleen

Impossible question to answer because it's so variable. It also fluctuates over time for many people. For what it's worth, I had 3ccs in mine and lost 130lbs without ever adjusting it after it was inserted. I had restriction right away and it never left. Good luck getting your situation sorted.

I had mine for seven years without any real issues. I loved my band. Lost over a hundred lbs. and kept it off until the unfill for the sleeve surgery. My doctor suggested the revision to the sleeve because I had a dilated pouch for the second time. I could have just removed half the liquid and let my stomach rest for 3 months but I opted for the sleeve instead since my insurance covered the revision. I could've easily went the rest of my life with the band. The main thing is don't go too tight like I did.

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Sai187

My mom was banded in 2007, and she says it was the best decision she has ever made in her life. She lost more that 150 pounds and has kept her weight off.

I, however was banded in March of 2014, in Mexico. It is a 9cc band. I was going to a local bariatric surgeon for fills. But the problem is he charges me $150 for 1/2 cc fill. I only have about three and a half cc's out of a 9 cc band. My problem is that I don't have any restriction and I actually gained all my presurgical weight. I feel like the doctor is taking advantage of me, and not allowing the band to work properly. My mom has 7 cc in her band and I'd doing great. So my question for everybody, is what is the idea fill for them?

Kathleen

Kathleen, I actually experienced the same problem! I lost my job right after I was banded in 2013 and had to pay 265 out of pocket for fills and could only afford two, I've been at 5cc this whole time with minimal restrictions plus I owed my surgeon money so I was afraid to go back. I went from 270 to 250 by my second fill and after that ended up gaining the 20lbs back! Within the last yer though with diet and excessive I've lost 30lbs. I actually went back to my surgeon this week for the first time since 2014 and he was shocked I was under the weight I was at my last fill. Luckily I have insurance now but I paid them back why I owed and the. The next day paid 800$ for a new EGD to be done. I've spent 1400$ this week but it was worth it to get back on track.

My whole point is to be patient. I would say find a new surgeon- have them talk to your current office and trade patient files so they know you are up to date. 150$ for 1/2 cc is BULL. Please keep us updated and I will send positive vibes your way!