Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Has Been the Hardest Habit for You to Break?

I find the further out from surgery I'm getting the faster I'm eating. I used to be good at chewing carefully and taking a breath between bites, but now that I realize that it often doesn't bother me I've been less careful. I'm still good at taking small bites though!

My most difficult habit to break however has been drinking with my meals. I like salt. Salt makes you thirsty. Thirst makes you drink. Definitely still a struggle. I do my best, but its still not uncommon for me to follow a meal with a mouthful or two of Water.

Pre op was the chocolate and Snicker Pods ....

Now, chocolate makes me sick and I get bad reflux. I hope this will remain, however at 10 weeks post op I don't know if this will stay the same.

So far, it is Ice-cream. I over-indulged for 3 evenings, and then freaked out how many empty calories it added to my daily total.

Back on the wagon now. Have a little frozen yoghurt instead, if I want something sweet, and it does not create a binge for me.

@@kat27641

I use teaspoon, and/or tiny fork. I put the utensils down between bites. I chew like mad, and take tiny bites.

If I don't do that, I get reflux that even Nexium does not always fix.

I also try to eat more regularly, so that I am not ravenous, and can eat slowly.

Like LipstickLady, I also use small bowls and bread plate, and small containers to eat from

Forgot to add that the extra ice-cream also gave me dumping symptoms in form of reflux and extreme tiredness ....

Not cleaning my plate growing up was not an option. Whatever we left on our dinner plates we had for Breakfast. It only took 1 morning of cold liver and onions to learn that lesson well. But surprisingly, I was able to break the clean plate club habit. But I really only have to apply that one when I eat at restaurants. At home my portions are very small, don't even take up a whole saucer-sized plate and I do finish them.

I guess my hardest habits to break are the ones I still have.....Eating fast, eating when I'm bored and sitting in front of the TV, snacking in bed at night, and drinking with meals. The good news is that gives me lots of stuff to work on if I ever start to regain.

I had to give up a 20+ year addiction to Diet Pepsi Max. I weaned off slowly at first and then just stopped. I didn't really have much withdrawals, just missed the carbonation. Also, salty, crunchy foods. We went to a movie last week. My husb bought a large buttered popcorn and a Dr. Pepper. It was a little difficult. I had one kernel of popcorn, no more. Didn't want to get sick during the movie.

I could live on chips and quac or salsa. This is a lifetime struggle however I am finding different crunchy salty foods that contain Protein and hope to eventually learn to make kale chips. It took a lifetime to get this fat. Cure won't happen overnight and perhaps I will be battling things forever, but I will never quit.

I found a free app called "Time Your Bites". You can set the amount of seconds between bites and have your phone buzz or make a noise when it is time for another bite. This app has helped me slow down considerably.

Feeling like I need to eat all the food on my plate.

I'm comfortable now with not finishing my food or forcing myself to do so. Over eating once or twice with the sleeve makes that an easy lesson to remember.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

Chewing gum and carbonated beverages.

I was never a big soda fan. But champagne or sparkling alcohol was always a joy. But thankfully I've managed to stay off carbonate drinks post surgery along with chewing gum as well. I surprisingly don't miss the gum, the alcohol is painful! Lol.

Sent from my SM-G920P using the BariatricPal App

Hardest habit to break eating fast

And drinking carbonated Water love the stuff it's the only thing I miss from my old life but it's a small price to pay to be healthy.

Sent from my iPhone

Even match between really fast eating and night eating. Seriously considering postponing my surgery until next summer (the next time I'll be able to take several weeks off) so I can get it under control. I don't want to stretch out or damage my sleeve with my nightly overeating. I'll definitely be working on this in therapy until then.

Even match between really fast eating and night eating. Seriously considering postponing my surgery until next summer (the next time I'll be able to take several weeks off) so I can get it under control. I don't want to stretch out or damage my sleeve with my nightly overeating. I'll definitely be working on this in therapy until then.

I don't think there are any of us who struggle with those issues who wish we had put the surgery off - just food for thought.

popcorn. I'm week three and I have had popcorn, in small doses, several times. It wasn't a problem before surgery, but now it is becoming one. It's "naked" popped corn, but popcorn nonetheless. Also drinking with my meal. I may just go back to liquid /pureed stage for another few weeks because I am starting to reach my 1000 calories with food and Protein drinks. I need to reset already. I eat slowly and take small bites and chew well, but certain things tend to get "caught" in the process and I even have to slow it down further. I dunno. Trying to follow protocol but it's freaking hard. I will do it though.

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

@@CelesteMarie

please stop eating popcorn at 3 weeks out. You could hurt yourself and popcorn is just starch with no nutrition.