Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help me understand fruit and smoothies

Okay, I'm 10 days post op (sleeve) and just starting to ease into the soft food diet. The literature provided by my doctors office says to avoid fresh fruit. Elsewhere, it talks about using fruit in Protein smoothies at this stage.

So, which is it? Yes, I'm kind of a stickler for the rules, so I want to make sure I'm doing this right. Is it mostly an issue of the texture of fresh fruit, and blending them into smoothies solves that? Or is there something about the way fruit digests? Which fresh fruits can I add to my smoothies, and which should I avoid entirely?

Thanks, Christi

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Fruits contain lots of sugar that's why they should be avoided. Most fruit juices contain more sugar than regular sodas.

Oh yes, of course. That makes sense. It's so easy to slip back into old thinking! In my mind I'm telling myself that fruit is healthy, so why shouldn't I add it to my smoothie. My book does mention bananas several times though, so I'll look up their sugar content. Maybe adding 1/2 a banana to a vanilla Protein shake would be reasonable from time to time.

Thanks!

@@cseidman Although fresh fruit does have alot of sugar - I don't believe that's why they don't recommend having it during soft foods stage. I was told I could have "mashed fruit" (banana, canned fruit (careful of the sugar content). I believe that's why it's discussed in smoothies - but again you need to watch your sugar content. Fruit sugars are very different than added sugar - and naturally occurring sugars in fruit, milk, etc. are important in a healthy diet. I would speak to your NUT about this - as many plans differ but my plan recommends fruit and veggies.

Fresh fruit is very healthy, and there is no reason why it shouldn't be in your diet once your doc/nut recommends... so lets put that to bed first.

Fruit can be tough on some new pouches due to the sugar content (dumping)... also skin of some fruit can be difficult. As kristen pointed out, mashed fruit may be acceptable during the soft foods phase (it was for me.) Talk to your NUT about that.

Early on, I did not put mashed fruit into smoothies, simply because it added so many calories for very little satiety. I tried very early on to focus on foods that kept me full for longer... and smoothies slide right thru... thus I only used them for Protein delivery if I was short for the day.

Since then, I usually have a little fruit at every meal. I probably eat 1-2 apples a day and some berries. The Fiber content from all the fruits and veggies I enjoy is great for digestion... I have not suffered from Constipation since very early on.

I could have 1 serving of soft fruit like 1/2 banana or canned peaches or applesauce like that, and NOT in a smoothie. I was told to not drink my fruit.

This is not the time for fresh peaches or fresh apple. I could not have raw fruits and veggies until three months.

Your tummy is new. Just as you would not give a baby a fresh apple, you shouldn't expect your new tummy to digest one either. Be patient....all in due time.

Thanks everyone! This is great perspective, which is what I needed right now.

On a somewhat related note, I know it will still be a while until I can eat fresh veggies too, but my teenage daughter just planted some veggie starters for us. We've never been gardeners, but she wants to give it a go, so we're going to try and not kill it all. She planted tomatoes and zucchini, and we're going to get a few more starters this weekend. Definitely some herbs. Maybe she and I can start a new hobby together.

My doc allows fruit, both in its original form and in smoothies (he discourages straight fruit smoothies but allows them early on with Protein powder and long term as green smoothies). fruit juice is forbidden.

The reasoning is that fruit contains Fiber which slows the absorption of the sugar, thereby preventing sugar highs and lows like refined sugars. juice strips out the fiber. Smoothies leave it in.

Still he prefers long term you don't have straight fruit smoothies, it's just too easy to consume too much sugar/calories. But he's fine if you throw in a bunch of spinach or kale with the fruit. I find strawberry, banana, mango spinach smoothie is excellent.

I found that Protein shakes tasted terrible after surgery. But if I blended in a half a banana, it significantly improved the taste. I am 3 years post-op RNY gastric bypass, and that is what I did and it worked well for me.

@@cseidman - I'm glad someone likes rules and isn't trying to find a loophole for a change. ;-)

My NUT went through my food diaries and suggested adding berries for healthy carbs. But only after month two and I was adding much more exercise. Congrats and keep asking and learning. We like rule keepers.

I added pureed soft fruit (bananas, mangos, peaches, etc) to my Protein smoothies starting about 1 week postop. I was working 10 hours/ day during most of my liquid and pureed stages so the added carbs gave me much needed energy. The smoothies I made were 24-32oz and typically contained 30-40g of Protein and ranged from 200-400 calories. Drank at least 1 and usually 2 of them everyday for the first 3 months then dropped to one/day once I was able to get more protein via food.

I wasn't cleared for seeds or skins until 3 months and at that point added berries and apples to my smoothies too. And ate apples and Peanut Butter as a snack several times a week. Oh, BTW, since I couldn't tolerate artificial sweeteners I also drank lots of diluted fruit juice. I really don't believe natural sugars and carbs are the scary monster everyone makes them out to be.

I have had some fruit since the beginning of being able to eat food again. at first it was bananas in my smoothie, and at 4 months was cleared to eat anything. Now. Protein first, then veg, and a little fruit but it is wonderful. my main reason for the surgery was to end diabetes - and I hadn't really had fruit for the year before to keep blood sugars down. now if I have a few strawberries and my blood sugar is normal it almost makes me tear up.

This was how my doctor's plan advised me.

I began having smoothies about two weeks post op using either a plain yogurt (Greek, Icelandic, or Bulgarian) that is high in Protein and low in carbs or plain kefir as the base. I most often use frozen fruit rather than fresh for the convenience, and my favorites are raspberries (high in fiber), nectarines, and the mixed berries from Trader Joe's. If I'm adding spinach or kale I also use it frozen. Del Monte has a fresh peach cup that is no sugar added, and only has 12 carbs. If I'm going to a regular grocery store vs. Trader Joe's or Ralph's I'll stock up on them for smoothies. Trader Joe's also has frozen sweet potato cubes that are delicious in smoothies, and lower in carbs than some fruit. I make those with Fairlife milk.

A bariatric surgeon named Dr. Matthew Wiener has a video on YouTube about the "set point smoothies" he advocates.

Every surgeon has their own program. Some allow fruit & grains, others don't. My surgeon is very strict. Absolutely no fruit (too high in sugar), no grains (bread, Cereal, Pasta, etc.) ever. Post-op it is Clear Liquids only for the first week then add Protein Shakes for the next three weeks. Then, at week 5 start puree for two weeks, then soft for two more weeks & then, finally, progress to regular foods at week 9.

This is great information about the set point smoothie. I've looked at several of those videos. I visit my surgeon and nutritionist for the first time next week and I will ask them about it.

Edited by rosestara