Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

mild sleep apnea - I'm pissed

I was required to have the sleep study done in order to have this surgery like many other people. I am pissed because I knew they were going to find a reason to have me purchase this expensive cpap machine. I do not have any issues sleeping. No snoring, waking up etc... yet I have mild sleep apnea (wake up 1-5 times a night). needless to say I am not happy.

I would really like for someone (preferably the doctors) to explain to me why out of the many areas of medicine they're one of the only I've heard pushing this study. I am having a double mastectomy and reconstruction done late 2016/2017. None of those physicians even mentioned a sleep study and sleep issues with respect to anesthesia…so it makes me really wonder. The surgeries I am preparing for are longer and more detailed than this one, so why wouldn’t they require all of these tests too?

Has anyone else had to deal with this and not want to purchase the machine? Did you just say f-it and go to Mexico? lol

Edited by transmformme

@@transmformme I don't believe 1-5 apneas a night qualifies for mild sleep apnea. I would question that diagnosis. Also - with mild apnea - you can also get a mouth guard instead of the CPAP. This was one of the 2 recommendations for me with my apnea results (but I had 11 apneas per hour (which was mild). I went with the CPAP and actually sleep much better but I also have insurance that covered a large portion of the expense. Talk to them about a dental device/mouth guard for treatment instead of the CPAP (if you actually are considered to have mild apnea).

I have had surgeries in the past and sleep apnea was never mentioned. I'm not sure why it is an issue in this surgery - but ask your surgeon - see what they have to say.

@@transmformme I don't believe 1-5 apneas a night qualifies for mild sleep apnea. I would question that diagnosis. Also - with mild apnea - you can also get a mouth guard instead of the CPAP. This was one of the 2 recommendations for me with my apnea results (but I had 11 apneas per hour (which was mild). I went with the CPAP and actually sleep much better but I also have insurance that covered a large portion of the expense. Talk to them about a dental device/mouth guard for treatment instead of the CPAP (if you actually are considered to have mild apnea).

I have had surgeries in the past and sleep apnea was never mentioned. I'm not sure why it is an issue in this surgery - but ask your surgeon - see what they have to say.

I already sent a nice email to the physician and assistant. I'm waiting for them to reply.

Yes the sleep clinic said I wake up 1-5 times a night. Well, I drink a gallon of Water a day, have a 2 year old and 6 month of both of which do not sleep throughout the night, how do they know that I am not waking up because of them? The study was done at home.

I just found online that you can rent the machine for pretty cheap (which is what I would do as a last resort), but I am so pissed at all of these loops they make you jump through. Insane.

My insurance does not cover any weight loss surgery, so all of this is out of pocket. Waste of $450 IMO

It's not some conspiracy designed to get you to purchase anything, so let that go.

There IS a big educational push by pulmonologists to get more people tested for sleep apnea, because it's estimated that a much larger percentage of the population have it than are diagnosed. Untreated sleep apnea, especially more severe forms, is a huge long-term health risk.

I had the study even though I was certain I didn't have sleep apnea, because I don't snore. Guess what? I have it. Now that I have a CPAP, I sleep MUCH better and my energy level has improved.

Untreated sleep apnea also slows your metabolism, which may be why bariatric surgeons are more on board with testing their patients.

Same thing happened to me. I've never had a problem sleeping. They forced me to get the machine and bring it the day of surgery as well. I never used it and neither did they. I took that sh*t back as soon as I got home from the hospital. Waste of money. I almost think the company's give each other kick backs or something. Frustrating!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@transmformme Waking up during the night should not have anything to do with having sleep Apnea. Sounds to me like you're being railroaded into getting a CPAP that you very well might not need. Find out how many AHI's you had - that is how they should be diagnosing apnea. I also didn't have a home test because they're not always reliable. Hopefully your surgeon won't require you to get a CPAP. Good luck.

I think it's an issue because it considered a cormodity. I would think being diagnosed with it, increases your chances of approval... It's a money driven diagnosis. I think I heard a radio commercial that mentioned something about it being under diagnosed.... If obesity was treated like any other disease as it should be, it would not opened the flood gates for obese people spending so much out of pocket whether it's this machine or all we have spend on ineffective products for weight loss.

Good luck on your journey.

Edited by nyteacher125

It's not some conspiracy designed to get you to purchase anything, so let that go.

There IS a big educational push by pulmonologists to get more people tested for sleep apnea, because it's estimated that a much larger percentage of the population have it than are diagnosed. Untreated sleep apnea, especially more severe forms, is a huge long-term health risk.

I had the study even though I was certain I didn't have sleep apnea, because I don't snore. Guess what? I have it. Now that I have a CPAP, I sleep MUCH better and my energy level has improved.

Untreated sleep apnea also slows your metabolism, which may be why bariatric surgeons are more on board with testing their patients.

I'm glad that it helped you out and that you're sleeping better. If people need it then they should get it but it should be up to the individual whether or not they have the test done etc...

It is your opinion that it isn't a "scam" to get us to spend thousands of dollars on these tests and materials. I think differently. I am not going to buy this machine when I have a mild case of SA that will resolve once I drop the pounds needed. period

Do what you need to do to get surgery where you feel comfortable.Definitely talk with your surgeon about your concerns. Also, even if your insurance doesn't cover wls, it might cover all or part of the machine.

I will pass along an impression from my sister -- she is a physician. She worked at a sleep lab to make $$$ while she was in medical school, at the lab affiliated with her school (one of the top 15 or so in the country if that makes the credentials of the lab look any better). Her impression: everyone who goes to a sleep lab gets diagnosed with sleep apnea and ordered to buy a ton of expensive equipment. She didn't actually say the word "scam" to me but I can tell you she has no faith in sleep labs or people (doctors) who push sleep apnea as an actual problem.

Same thing happened to me. I've never had a problem sleeping. They forced me to get the machine and bring it the day of surgery as well. I never used it and neither did they. I took that sh*t back as soon as I got home from the hospital. Waste of money. I almost think the company's give each other kick backs or something. Frustrating!

Exactly! I'm not buying it. Waste of money. If people really need one (like my father who has severe SA) then I think they should purchase it and start living a healthy more restful life.

Edited by transmformme

I think it's an issue because it considered a cormodity. I would think being diagnosed with it, increases your chances of approval... It's a money driven diagnosis. I think I heard a radio commercial that mentioned something about it being under diagnosed.... If obesity was treated like any other disease as it should be, it would not opened the flood gates for obese people spending so much out of pocket whether it's this machine or all we have spend on ineffective products for weight loss.

Good luck on your journey.

My insurance does not cover any of this testing or the surgery. I have an exclusion. I completely agree with you. Obesity should be covered by all policies no matter what state you live in or where you work etc. just like cancer and diabetes.

Do what you need to do to get surgery where you feel comfortable.Definitely talk with your surgeon about your concerns. Also, even if your insurance doesn't cover wls, it might cover all or part of the machine.

I will pass along an impression from my sister -- she is a physician. She worked at a sleep lab to make $$$ while she was in medical school, at the lab affiliated with her school (one of the top 15 or so in the country if that makes the credentials of the lab look any better). Her impression: everyone who goes to a sleep lab gets diagnosed with sleep apnea and ordered to buy a ton of expensive equipment. She didn't actually say the word "scam" to me but I can tell you she has no faith in sleep labs or people (doctors) who push sleep apnea as an actual problem.

Bufflehead, wth! That is EXACTLY what I am talking about. It should be illegal.

@transmformme... Omg your paying for all this out of pocket? If so,wow!!! So unfair...

yes, none is covered by my insurance. The sleep test was covered but I have the meet the deductible so $450 for the sleep test and $1000+ for the CPAP.

WLS itself I have to pay out of pocket. I'm going the HH route though so its only about $5000

My surgeon did not make me get a sleep study. He based it on talking to me about my sleep habits and talking to my husband about me sleep habits. We also discussed how much energy I have and how often I nap, which is about once a month or month and a half. Based on those discussions he determined I did not need to consult either a pulmonologist or get a sleep study.

The other surgeon in the practice apparently makes every patient get either a sleep study or have a consult with a pulmonologist.

Sleep apnea is under diagnosed in the general population anyway. It is a larger issue for people that are obese. For most surgeons having all of their patients have a sleep apnea test and/or a pulmonary consult is a protection for them. This way they make sure you make it through the surgery and the initial number of months without issues.

I would actually talk to your surgeon (not his staff) about the results of the sleep study to determine if you really need to buy the CPAP based on your results. If he does require you to use it then I would look into a short term rental. Or if you need to show up with one ask around to see if you can borrow one or buy one off of Craig's list. A really high percentage of people stop using them after a few months. If they go to make you actually use it at the hospital claim you get claustrophobic with it and can't use it.