Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Plastics in Two Weeks! Give Me ALL the Advice!

I'm officially scheduled for a Tummy Tuck (ugh I hate the word tummy) and brachioplasty in two weeks! Give me all the advice you've got! How much pain were you in? How long did it take for you to not be in pain? How much pain were the drains, literally and figuratively? We're there any sitting/sleeping positions that were more comfortable than others? Any gadgets or props that were especially helpful? Any kind of clothing that was easier to get in and out of? What did you eat? How much did you eat given that you weren't able to exercise? How much help did you need? I'm staying with my brother for the first 48 hours but then I'm on my own. Should I prep a weeks worth of meals? Two weeks? What do you wish you had known before surgery?

I'm so excited but also slightly terrified - much more so that before my gastric bypass. Seriously, any advice, tips, etc.!

@@Indieflickers I made a whole post about mine. I had a TT & breastlift. If you want to click my icon you can find it. It's too much to re-write it all.

Thanks @@Elode!

I had my TT about 5 years ago. It was very uncomfortable for two weeks because of how you are leaned over and can't straighten yourself up. Pain was okay and not too bad because of pain killers. You will be sleeping on your side in a fetal position because you can't stretch yourself out. The drains sucked galore! You really don't feel 'good' until they come out. Once they are out you begin to feel like you are healing and on your road to recovery. I would say that the only tough part about it was the first two weeks and then you start the feel better everyday and you can straighten yourself a little more each day.

Oh, yes have someone help you with sitting down and getting up because it will too hard on your own and painful.

Goodluck to you!

My pain was minimal. I expected to be pretty debilitated for a while. Besides walking like Quasimodo and sleeping sitting up on the couch, leaning to the side on pillows for a while, recovery wasn't bad at all. I was pretty much doing all my pre-op activities right away, just slooooower, lol. And, of course, no lifting.

The drains, I hated, but were not as bad or as gross as I anticipated. Still was happy, once they were out.

Compression helps ALOT with comfort, and I was told that the longer I wore compression, the better. So once the drains were out I got some of my own super firm compression garments and wore them for about six months. Figured this was my one and only shot at the flat belly I'd dreamt of, I wanted to give it the best chance.

As far as eating I continued to focus on Protein and calorie free liquids as those things help with healing.

I gained, about 15 pounds of swelling and had terrible bruising (Pics are on my profile) plus to wear a larger size for a few weeks/months (size 4 instead of 00/0, borrowed my sis' clothes, and she felt like her clothes were fat clothes, lol). Don't remember how long.

Apparently that's not typical, as even my doctor was surprised by the swelling and bruising.

Best of luck, may all go smoothly!

@@Elode I read your post - very informative! I was just wondering, why did you get the wedge pillow for your legs?

I wasn't in much pain, but I had a lower body lift and it kicked my ass in terms of energy, walking hunched over etc. Also, I was instructed to not lift my arms up for the first 2 weeks (can't remember if it was due to the arm lift or breast lift) so you might put clean glasses/dishes down on the counter etc.

My appetite went way up. The recovery sometimes triggers extra "burn" - some people lose weight whereas I had to work to maintain weight since I wanted to consume more. Extra Protein helps with healing so my premier Proteins consumption went up.

The compression garments are a lifesaver, but can give you reflux so consider timing your eating so you don't lay back down right after ... just in case.

It was a big deal, but my plastics were in Oct 2013 and my results are amazing and I am so glad I did it! Good luck to you.

@@Indieflickers because you have to remain in the "beach chair position" you won't be able to lay flat. You need to stay bent. For one it will hurt like hell to try to lay flat and two you but tention on your incsion and you could end up with a stretched out ugly scar.

@TheRealMeIsHere! @@CowgirlJane thanks for the advice! @@Elode that's really good to know. The surgeon didn't say anything about that. Just that I should stay in a more upright position. And I have to keep my arms outstretched and propped up Jesus at the last supper style.

@@CowgirlJane how do you know if you're getting that "extra burn"? I was advised not to weigh myself for awhile after surgery because of the swelling.

I was massively hungry...the key was to up the Protein drinks but not get into snacking

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using the BariatricPal App

@@CowgirlJane how many grams of Protein did you do? I already average about 180g a day so I'm not sure I need to up it much. Also, how long before you were able to wear jeans? I'm headed to NYC three weeks after surgery for job orientation and I can't really get away with wear sweats!

Edited by Indieflickers

Oh, I probably was at 100 g of Protein. ..how do you manage 180? Is that what is recommended?

I had a lower body lift arm lift and breasts all at once... I wasn't wearing jeans or doing much of anything at 3 weeks... the big unknown is how much you may swell. You may want something with some stretch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using the BariatricPal App

@@CowgirlJane I only eat that much because of how active I am. I may actually dial it back while I'm recovering since I'll be essentially sedentary. I'll have to look into something with some stretch though I do still have a pair of jeans that are about a size too big so maybe I'll try those.

I was lucky I was back in my jeans at doing most things at two weeks, but got tired very quickly!

I had Tummy Tuck, Breast lift/aug and arm lift at same time.