Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cool Sculpting - yay? nay?

After 3 c-sections and losing over 55 pounds, my lower abdomen is a wreck. I am scared of getting a Tummy Tuck and came across cool sculpting. I had a consultation and was told I am a perfect candidate. I am just not entirely convinced it will work, despite the photos I've seen. Has anyone had any experience with this (positive, negative or indifferent)?

Thanks in advance for your insight!

After 3 c-sections and losing over 55 pounds, my lower abdomen is a wreck. I am scared of getting a Tummy Tuck and came across cool sculpting. I had a consultation and was told I am a perfect candidate. I am just not entirely convinced it will work, despite the photos I've seen. Has anyone had any experience with this (positive, negative or indifferent)?

I thought cool sculpting was simply an alternative to liposuction. A way of killing fat cells, not anything to do with skin?

Found this quote from a doctor:

"CoolSculpting's primary purpose is to reduce fat cells and volume. You do risk additional skin laxity from the treatment, particularly if it's already pre-existing."

That leads me to believe that coolsculpting isn't intended as an alternative to a tummy tuck, which is primarily to remove excess skin and repair the ab muscles. Liposuction is only a tiny part of the tummy tuck procedure and isn't even necessary in some cases.

I thought cool sculpting was simply an alternative to liposuction. A way of killing fat cells, not anything to do with skin?

Found this quote from a doctor:

"CoolSculpting's primary purpose is to reduce fat cells and volume. You do risk additional skin laxity from the treatment, particularly if it's already pre-existing."

That leads me to believe that coolsculpting isn't intended as an alternative to a tummy tuck, which is primarily to remove excess skin and repair the ab muscles. Liposuction is only a tiny part of the tummy tuck procedure and isn't even necessary in some cases.

Thank you - that's what I thought too, which is why I thought it odd I was considered "the Perfect Candidate". I don't want to be tricked into spending several thousand dollars on a procedure that isn't going to do what I'm expecting.

I had cool sculpting about 2 years ago, I was not at my ideal body weight by any means. I was told I would still sees difference. Personally other than freezing my belly for an hour and leaving bruises that last more than a week I didn't find any difference fat wise. Didn't seems to get rid of inches either. Like everything else might be best to give it a try yourself, your results maybe better.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I think its a great alternative if you are scared of a tummy tuck. I don't think it would hurt to try and the recovery time is minimal.

Sent from my SM-G925T using the BariatricPal App

I think it is expensive for very minimal results from what I have seen. I believe plastic surgery is the only way to actually remove extra skin... And they may do some Lipo with it for more results.

If I recall it was over $1000 for 2 sessions, I got two more free because they used me to teach some of the staff how to use cool sculpting. That was a total of 4 treatment and didn't see any measurable results.

I tend to think it made me more flabby, your skin is basically being vacuumed with freezing cold for an hour. It's similar to the way the do the mammography with freezing added.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by nyteacher125

@@applejenn It doesn't seem to help with loose skin from the little research I've done. It seems to mostly be a possible alternative to Lipo.< /p>

This will not remove sagging skin. My sister just had a consult with a plastic surgeon and it freezes fat cells, killing them and they absorb into your body. It's the equivalent to Lipo only it does tighten the skin so better than lipo on abdomen. It will not be beneficial after a large weight loss. I'm sure they saw $$$ when they told you you'd be a great candidate. :-( I'd go to another plastic surgeon for another consult.

My sister is an aesthetician and said cool sculpting is to reduce fat and that it would do nothing at all for my saggy excess skin. She further said there is nothing currently on the market to reduce excess skin other than plastic surgery.