Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

newbie here with some questions

Hello all!

I recently went to a seminar for the sleeve and have my consultation with the DR in june. I really wanted the sleeve but my insurance will only cover the lapband, so I am going to go with that.

I am 400lbs. I am young but have high cholesterol, high bp (controlled with meds) arrythmia (cardiologist cleared me for surgery) and am risk of heart disease. so it needs to happen. I have been seeing a dietitian and have done many diets. I lose a little bit and thats it.

I am concerned it will not help me to lose enough weight to get to where I want to be (180)

Anyone in here around my weight and get down to that goal weight?

Any pros/cons you can share with me?

I am excited to get it done already!!

Hello all!

I recently went to a seminar for the sleeve and have my consultation with the DR in june. I really wanted the sleeve but my insurance will only cover the lapband, so I am going to go with that.

I am 400lbs. I am young but have high cholesterol, high bp (controlled with meds) arrythmia (cardiologist cleared me for surgery) and am risk of heart disease. so it needs to happen. I have been seeing a dietitian and have done many diets. I lose a little bit and thats it.

I am concerned it will not help me to lose enough weight to get to where I want to be (180)

So I'm only pre-op but I had this same question. It was a resounding "don't do the band" it apparently comes with a lot of issues and surgeons aren't performing them as they once were. Of not the sleeve, may be just do bypass? .

Sent from my SM-G935T using the BariatricPal App

@@nothingmoreorless That's very odd your insurance only covers LapBand. My surgeon doesn't recommend LapBand due to 50-60% of people require a secondary surgery due to complications. It is also the lowest % of weight loss option. What insurance plan do you have?

@@CrissyCakes

my insurance will not cover the sleeve or bypass. They just cover the lapband. I have read a lot of negative on fb groups but im seeing positive here. I believe my insurance will cover revision surgery after 2 years if you are still above the criteria. Which I think is silly. Why waste all that money and not just cover it from the start? It is actually my job that is only choosing to pay for the lapband and not include the others on the insurance. So I will be writing a letter to HR to dispute it. But if they wont approve sleeve, I am doing the band.

Edited by nothingmoreorless

@@CrissyCakes

my insurance will not cover the sleeve or bypass. They just cover the lapband. I have read a lot of negative on fb groups but im seeing positive here. I believe my insurance will cover revision surgery after 2 years if you are still above the criteria. Which I think is silly. Why waste all that money and not just cover it from the start? It is actually my job that is only choosing to pay for the lapband and not include the others on the insurance. So I will be writing a letter to HR to dispute it. But if they wont approve sleeve, I am doing the band.

Smh how absolutely ridiculous. Well yeah I'd definitely looking into appealing it as someone else mentioned.

Sent from my SM-G935T using the BariatricPal App

I dont understand the whole insurance process in America... but.... like others have said.... try to appeal and fight for your right to choose.

Ive got a few posts regarding my band story... but i will give you a summary...

I had the band for 6 years... yes i lost weight... yes i maintained my weight... then my band decided to play up during the final year and because i was basically starving. . I asked for it to be removed, i was constantly in pain or vomiting (not real vomit, but sliming every time i ate). When i had it removed, i gained most of my weight back, even though my diet was extremely good. This is very common..

I now have the sleeve and it is soooooo much better... i have restriction without the pain and vomiting.

However, if you appeal and they still say they only offer the band, I personally would still do it... purely because its better to have lost weight while you can, than develop all the health issues that come with being obese.

Thats my 2 cents ☺

Edited by AussieGirl81

Hello all!

Skip over to the Lapband forums and see what they say/post... if that's your only option w/ insurance coverage... Alex Brecher, the developer of this site also had a lapband and has kept it off for years... reach out to the experts...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using the BariatricPal App

Hello all!

Look at my stats. I was morbidly obese...only five feet tall and 267 lbs. My PCP said I'd only lose 40 lbs. with the band but I went ahead with it anyway because I didn't want my insides messed around with nor did I want my stomach cut out. I didn't lose 40 lbs. I lost 140 lbs. I am 127 lbs. now and have been for two years or so. Don't presume you can't lose alot of weight if you have the band. Good luck with whatever surgery you get.

Lapband has been great for me. Started at 448 - down to 190 in 22 months. I have 40lbs to go. I joined a support group called weekly weigh in on line 3 months after surgery. The education from the group that are on the same journey has been amazing. I wanted lapband vs gastric sleeve/bypass and was told the same thing - you will not lose the weight you want. I am following the rules and losing. Congrats on making a decision to take the first step. I only wish I had done it years earlier.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App