Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone Im new to this forum. I always read everyones story while I was going through the process of examinations and Now I finally decided to make an account. So after all the appointments and praying that I get approved for surgery I finally received a letter from the Insurance saying they have approved me. Im so excited but so nervous at the same time. I will soon be starting a pre-op diet which they say will consist of only liquids for 2 weeks. basically Protein Shakes, No food at all. And Im nervous about that. For those of you who have already passed this phase is there any advice you can give me please.

What makes you nervous about it?

It's frankly, a pain in the posterior. But nothing to be afraid of. Yeah, you get hungry (though I found personally that it diminished dramatically after the first three days). and your brain will drive you a little nuts fighting the process and sending you cravings.

But here's the thing. It's a chance to practice knowing the difference between head hunger and physical hunger. You'll be on liquids postop, too. And some people find they get cravings postop. having followed a liquid diet preop teaches you that it is possible to stay on liquids and survive.

Huge numbers of posters here have been through the least entertaining two weeks of their lives successfully. You can, too. Good luck!

Thank You. I will def not cheat I really want this surgery

Don't eat anything not on your pre-op diet - it's to shrink your liver - many feel the need to "cheat" but it's really important that you don't. Good luck.

I think is just the fact that I wont be eating anything solid at all. I know I can stick to it but living in a household were they cook everyday I feel like is going to be torture. But I know I cant mess it up

What makes you nervous about it?

It's frankly, a pain in the posterior. But nothing to be afraid of. Yeah, you get hungry (though I found personally that it diminished dramatically after the first three days). and your brain will drive you a little nuts fighting the process and sending you cravings.

But here's the thing. It's a chance to practice knowing the difference between head hunger and physical hunger. You'll be on liquids postop, too. And some people find they get cravings postop. having followed a liquid diet preop teaches you that it is possible to stay on liquids and survive.

Huge numbers of posters here have been through the least entertaining two weeks of their lives successfully. You can, too. Good luck!

I hope mines turns out as easy as yours

It depends on the dr. Mine required one week pre op with liquids and one meal a day with a lean Protein and veggie. I shed ten pounds in one week. My liver was so small and everything was so on point it only took an hour for the surgery

Sent from my XT1585 using the BariatricPal App

The first few days are pretty hard, but then it really does get easier. Just focus on getting past those first few days by keeping busy, then it's all downhill, especially when you see how fast weight drops on the preoperative diet. Good luck

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

I am so scared of the preop liquid diet too. I feel like my food addiction and food obsession has gotten worse since I made the decision to have surgery because I feel like I wont be able to eat like this after surgery. I am scared I wont have the willpower to do the preop diet and my surgery will get cancelled. Any help would be appreciated.

Okay I mentioned this is in a previous posts but someone said crystal light and sugar free hard candies really helped keeping your mouth busy. I'm on day 3. I've had a few tiny slips- like a bite of broccoli and Tomato. I'm not a broth person but I went to a restaurant got a clear broth Soup and strained it (my surgeon was okay with this) the flavor and warmth was really satisfying. So maybe I'll be doing that once a day. It was incredible how my body responded. I obsessively think about food which really isn't like me. But..... I don't know how much weight if any I've lost but I can tell my body is detoxing

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

It's good that already understand the importance of the pre-op diet. It's for your safety. You are taking an active role in your success.

I selected amoung the allowed Protein powders and pre-mixed shakes. I chose to drink the Pure Protein Shakes because they were more thick and satisfying.

I pounded down the Water in between and all went well.

Sure it's not a heap of fun......but it's just two weeks. Stay focused on other fun stuff and get your mind off food.