Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Heard someone mention Ceviche the other day. I haven't made it in quite a while and I got a craving. Did some checking first and realized it's a great high Protein / low carb dish. For a 1cup serving, it has 31g Protein, 11g Carbs, and 257 calories. Cerviche is a dish made around the world, with slightly different ingredients. White fish, shrimp, and other seafood is cooked by citric acid from lemons and limes, and then combined with other vegetables. It can be used as a topping to chips, salads, or eaten alone as a side dish or main meal. Made with hot peppers, it has a nice spicy bite.

I will link the recipe below, it can also be found on MyFitnessPal under Roachs' Ceviche.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/view/264996842770173

Edited by RoachBug

Yeah, I've been offered it before but I declined. Please know that it's not cooked and the citrus does nothing to kill parasites. It's entirely raw. Your chances of getting sick from eating it are small but there's still a chance. If you like sushi then you will probably be fine with it.

Ceviche is delish when made well and yes, is a good high Protein, low carb meal. Unfortunately there are many restaurants...even here in NYC that make lousy ceviche. When I find a good one though...I indulge. :)

Ceviche and sashimi have been a staple for me since surgery. I also eat a lot of carpaccio and tartare from different meats. Turns out that my system does waaaay better with raw Protein than cooked, so I have been really enjoying them.

Ceviche is a good dish, if your stomach likes it. I see the word "ceviche" and I start to sweat and heave a little. I had a ceviche dish about a year after surgery and within 20 minutes I was puking, which turned into dry heaving, sweating, laying on the floor sick as a dog, for almost 8 hours. Hands-down the sickest food has made me since I had surgery, lol and very likely either something in the dish or something my stomach just didn't like, but oh gosh ceviche and I hate each other.

cevich and sashimi are some of my favorite things.

whenever salmon is on sale I get a small piece first thing in the morning and make myself a bowl and eat it for Breakfast lunch and dinner

my recipe is very basic but very tasty

I finely dice half a red onion, and mix it with the diced salmon, the juice of a lime, and a tablespoon of soy sauce. Let it sit for two hours and enjoy.

I put Cerviche in the same category as Sushi ............BAIT !! <_<

I believe that the closer one is to the ocean the better the cerviche. Makes sense to me!

I would think that the "pickling" with the lime/lemon juice would kill most parasites where in suchi the parasites are free for the ingesting!

I just keep thinking: No one is going to come out of this life alive, so why not?

Heading for the surf in two weeks. --can't wait to catch some "sushi". :)

Ceviche and sashimi have been a staple for me since surgery. I also eat a lot of carpaccio and tartare from different meats. Turns out that my system does waaaay better with raw Protein than cooked, so I have been really enjoying them.

@fernandfg: I too handle raw much better. At what point did u have carpaccio? I am 2.1 months out and haven't tried beef yet. I am itching to have the carpaccio at my fave restaurant!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Srry, I guess BP does not like links in the posts. If you want the recipe, give me a holler and I can post it.

@@goplay94123, I was allowed to add meats to my diet at about 2 months and I had carpaccio at that point. Once you are cleared for meats, you can try it, but go really slowly at first as sometimes the things we tolerate pre- surgery don't work post. I also tried tuna sashimi at that time and it worked well. Salmon took a couple of months more until I could eat it and it didn't feel really heavy. One thing, I've only been able to tolerate the arugula added to carpaccio since eight months post surgery. I just asked for carpaccio without it. Bon appetit!