Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mini Gastric Bypass Questions

I've been researching and reading about the mini bypass versus the full bypass. Some questions are bugging me and I want to put them here. I need some reassurance and bolstering of confidence.

1. Does the mini bypass help with reflux and Barrett's Esophagus? I know the full bypass does.

2. I keep hearing about vomiting and diarrhea from this procedure. Is that inevitable? I've had IBS so I'm used to that.

3. If I avoid foods that are bad for my system and the bypass will that help keep the vomiting and dumping to a minimum?

4. I'm getting scared. I'm most afraid of losing the comfort food that helps my loneliness..only until the reflux kicks in and I'm sick for a few hours. What do others with the mini bypass do when you get lonely or the urge for Mac and cheese?

There's this floating anxiety about doing this , I guess I need reassurance!

Tom

I wish I could answer your questions...unfortunately I know nothing about the mini bypass. It is completely normal to be scared. It's a huge lifestyle change! I had the full bypass almost 3 months ago and food hasn't been an issue for me...I'm just not hungry!

Sorry - I don't have any knowledge of the mini bypass but can help with #3 - yes, you can avoid dumping by avoiding the triggers (not always the same for everyone). #4 - I'm going to counseling to talk about mindless/emotional eating. I have 6 months before surgery so I figured I'd take advantage of the time. I just got home from my second session and feel like it might help.

@@Tommy Joe I had the MGB on 2/18/16. I can answer your questions from what I have experienced with being almost 3 months out. I love my MGB! I had pretty bad acid reflux before my MGB and recently have been able to get off my Nexium and have had no problems. I also have IBS and have had no vomiting at all and only once have had what I think was a dumping episode my second week on pureed foods. None since then. I had the flu and got dehydrated at week two so that could have been the issue with the dumping. I can eat just about anything although I choose to eat nutritious foods just in smaller portions. I'm still testing what foods I now like but my tastes have changed. I used to love mac and cheese but just don't care for it now. It gets better the further out you are an I am down 40 lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Snuggy2 thank you so much! It really helped to read your experience. I am a teacher and there are very few who support my decision and more who share concerns with me especially because I am going out of the country. My first American ortho botched a hip replacement when I was 30 and I had a revision the next year that left my left leg shorter than my right. Got that fixed in 2009 in Washington. So medicine is not an exact science all the time.

I had my MGB out of the country as well. I had mine done in Mexico and am very happy with my results so far. I only told a few people what I was doing and they also shared concerns and now are very supportive once they have seen my progress and getting off all my meds. I feel better than I have in 20 years. Sorry you had trouble with your hip replacement. That must have been awful. I have bad knees and am hoping this surgery will allow me to avoid future knee replacement surgery. So far so good. I wish you well with your journey. I wished Id done it a lot sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by snuggy22

Hi I'm just 17 days post op. Have crohns disease and I have been able to come off my medication since my surgery. I too worried about the surgery. Have not been suffering from acid reflux as of yet and hopefully I don't experience it. My surgeon recommends taking ppi meds for life after mgb. Feeling great since my op. Have not experienced any issues with vomiting or diarrhea since either. I'm really careful with what I put in my body out of fear of dumping. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do. I was 2 yrs contemplating the surgery and now regret not doing it sooner.

Sent from my SM-G930F using the BariatricPal App

I have 2 friends that are husband and wife. She had the sleeve he had the bypass. She is less restricted and can eat a lot more things without dumping. He cannot do that. She even eats donuts. He likes to eat and has lost lots of weight but wishes he had the sleeve because he wants to be able to eat some of his old favorites. For instance they went to Mc Donald's both ordered happy meals she did fine he had to go lay down the rest of the day he was so sick. So if you want a little less punishment have the sleeve.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using the BariatricPal App

The mini bypass is done laporascopically only has one attached reroute and less recovery time. Because of my acid reflux and Barrett's esophagus I am opting for that rather than the sleeve