Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diverticulitis a year post-op? More fiber in my diet?

Unfortunately I seem to have developed diverticulitis and my 1 year anniversary is Friday and I am down 105lbs from my HW.

I saw my general PCP for what I thought may have been a UTI that had possibly gotten worse. I have never had one until about 5 or so years ago so I didn't know what was going on. The first thing he asked me was what is your diet like now and I elaborated on the post WLS. He said you need more Fiber in your diet at your age :/ He said I can get a lot of Fiber from salads and veggies. How can I add more fiber without filling up and still get in my Protein?

I am now on two types of antibiotics and I have another appointment today to see where we go from here.

Of course I am on a soft food diet at the moment (ah the memories...). Now I am considering no nuts, seeds and having to add fiber to my already small plate.

Any suggestions?

I have a salad in the afternoon. It is a great snack, not really filling on its own since when you chew it up its mostly Water and mush. So, you can eat "a lot" of salad. Calories are very low for the amounts you can eat, 3 ounces of fresh spinach is a huge looking amount and only 20 calories.

I'm confused -- how did your PCP actually diagnose that you had diverticulitis -- using what evidence? Did he/she do a colonoscopy, for example? Are there any specific tests he/she did to determine you suffer from diverticulitis?

Several months after surgery, I developed a problem with Constipation. I talked to my nutritionist about the problem. One of her recommendations was to use Quest Protein bars because they contained fiber. I have used these to supplement my Protein requirements generally when I am on the go.

Did you have a colonoscopy?? That's the way to diagnose and also if nuts and seeds don't give you an attack then there is no need to avoid them.

And the best way to combat Constipation is to take Miralax ....with a lot of water....ask your gastroenterologist...if you don't have a GI yet you should find one. Good luck!

You could add the flavorless powder fiber to your Water if you can't get enough with food right now?

Otherwise, eat lots of salads with some sort of Protein mixed in ;)

@@VSGAnn2014 - they drew blood and are suppose to have the results when I see the PCP at 12:30 today. He is basing his diagnosis on the physical exam. Based on how the BW comes back he said he may want to do a CT scan immediately. He also wants to do a colonoscopy, which I had planned on doing anyways.

@@Babbs - I hadn't thought about flavorless powdered stuff, thanks! I just cant imagine trying to eat fiber, which fills me up, and getting in Protein at the same time.

@@Nurse_Lenora - I have been using Miralax since about 2 months post. I mentioned the seeds & nuts because they are usually the culprits and I have been eating them for Protein (almonds, peanuts, etc).

@@OutsideMatchInside - If PCP says I can eat salads today when I ask I will probably get spinach I love veggies.

Post WLS I have not ate as much veggies and I did pre-op and I guess between that, fiber and being old I have to re-think my diet.

Thanks everyone for chiming in!

Jane

Beans are what I would recommend, too.

My sleeve actually cured chronic diverticulitis for me.

You know what is an excellent source of fiber as well as being great for skin hair and many other things avocado seed! Just use a zester to it. Very soft actually add the pulp to Soup or a smoothie I use the whole seed Google it and find out more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using the BariatricPal App

I occasionally supplement with Metamucil powder. It tastes great.....like orange Tang.

Every couple of days I'll have a Quest bar for Breakfast, too. As James said, they are surprisingly high in Fiber and the apple pie flavored version is truly tasty.

I've found that getting lots of fiber is a challenge with the sleeve diet. My surgeon recently admitted this and said I was perfectly okay proceeding as I said above.

Good luck.