Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VGS 2011 - Weight gain in the last year. Looking to lose 50+ lbs

Hi All!

My name is Jennifer. I am 44 years old. I am a wife and mother of 2 boys (24 and 16). I live outside of Houston, Texas and help run our family owned trucking company where I am a bookkeeper, sales manager, and A/R supervisor (we are that small LOL!).

​I had my VGS in October of 2011. I went from my highest weight of 308 (as far as I know - I don't know many who want to check the scale regularly at that weight :o ) to my lowest post surgery weight of 213 in 2012. I had hit a plateau in between and began training with a former college running back. I was doing well. Around 2013 I ran into a series of health setbacks. I was able to maintain my wait or close to it (didn't go over 217) for well over a year, perhaps 2.

Within the past year I began gaining weight. I am currently struggling with this, and this is why I have come here. I am looking for advice, accountability, and to be a good WLS buddy to anyone who needs one. I am interested in what you guys are doing to meet your goals, what successes and what slip ups you may have dealt with, and how you are getting back on track now.

Today is my first day here, and I can't wait to hear the journeys you have been on! I welcome any advice, shared experiences, or whatever you may have to offer! Thanks for having me!

Jen

good on you for catching it quickly, if your current weight statistics are up to date!

what kind of food do you eat - meals, Snacks, etc? do you prepare your food ahead of time or just kind of wing it day to day?

what kind of exercise suits you? we've got people here who like all different kinds of things, so you're sure to find a kindred spirit.

Jen,

I am in the same situation as you, I have had medical set backs also. I know I am not drinking enough Water. I do drink a lot of coffee, which I know I should cut back on. I am really going to watch the replies to this so it can help me also, I am hoping that with the better weather coming that I can get out on my new bicycle and do some walking......Good luck.

Edited by clasnic1

@@Christinamo7

Honestly, I have just been winging it with my food. I am in the process of moving and downsizing considerably. Going to the grocery store and preparing food is getting harder by the day as my cookware is now packed. I have gone back to just picking something up, and counting on my sleeve to tell me when I am full (even though we all know that "slider" foods can be extremely deceiving). I am not getting in enough Water, and right now I have not been exercising much at all. I feel like I have extremely low energy. Yesterday I ordered powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein powder, and a WLS Multivitamin. I am hoping once this move is complete (hopefully in the next 3 weeks) that I will be able to utilize the pool, and the gym which has a recumbent bike. I have to really watch my joints and muscles due to the fibromyalgia and my arthritis. I know I have not been on the right track, and am desperate to make the changes necessary to get where I want and need to be. I appreciate all of the feedback. Sometimes we just get lost, and I have been for several months. I guess realizing that is the first step. I am so glad to have found this forum.

Jen

It might be a good idea to start tracking your food. It's easy to lose a handle on how much we are eating. Especially if we are just grabbing convenience foods and eating when we can. The "good" thing about convenience foods is that they are generally pre-portioned and pre-packaged, which makes it easy to track them. Apps like MyFitnessPal, SparkPeople, and FitBit even have barcode scanners where you can just scan the code off the package to track the food.

@@clasnic1

Like you, I am more of a coffee/tea drinker, than the Water intake that I should be getting. I don't care for Water, but have found that a fruit infused water bottle helps. I have not been keeping up with that, but will start today. I need to do start somewhere. I am copying a link from Amazon for the bottle I have, but there are many brands at different price points.

http://www.amazon.com/AVOIN-colorlife-Tritan-Infuser-Bottle/dp/B00L36V3FG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1462374150&sr=8-5&keywords=water+bottle+with+fruit+infuser

I think starting with one right decision, and adding to that daily one good decision after another, will get me back on track. I am sure that we can both get through this. If you ever need a push, I am obviously not perfect, but I will be here! Feel free to PM me. :)

Jen

@@JamieLogical

You are so right. I think it's time for me to get back to my fitbit, and track my daily activity, and food. If for the next couple of weeks I eat convenience food, do you have any idea what the best way to go is? Would it be frozen? Or if I have to hit a drive through is there anything in particular you find works for you without the fat, carbs, and calories?

Thank you for the advice. It is all invaluable to me. I just need a push for sure!

Jen

My go-to foods at fast food are usually things like a grilled chicken sandwich minus the bun or even a hamburger minus the bun if need be. For packaged foods, I rely probably a bit too heavily on Protein bars, but still if you are going pre-packaged, you could do a lot worse. I use Combat Crunch bars, which are available at GNC (Cinnamon Twist is my favorite), but a LOT of people on BariatricPal use Quest Bars, which are becoming more and more widely available ever day. I saw some at a gas station the other day! And they are available at pretty much every grocery store now. I used to LOVE them, but they changed out one of their main ingredients and now they make me SUPER gassy, unfortunately. Anyway, if you are looking for Protein Bars, make sure you get low carb. Some of them have a TON of carbs. Stay away from fruit and nut-style bars like Kind. And Lara Bars and Clif Bars are also full of carbs. You want to look for something with maybe in the 3-10 net carb range (subtract the Fiber and sugar alcohols from the total carbs to figure out net carbs).

Other quick things are greek yogurt, cheese, turkey sticks (like beef sticks but with turkey), turkey Jerky, and nuts (but go easy on those, they are high in fat and calories). You can get individual serving packs of seasoned peanuts from Lance at a lot of convenience stores. I love them! They have flavors like BBQ, Ranch, Jalapeno Cheddar... they make a great, quick snack.< /p>

@@JamieLogical

You are so right. I think it's time for me to get back to my fitbit, and track my daily activity, and food. If for the next couple of weeks I eat convenience food, do you have any idea what the best way to go is? Would it be frozen? Or if I have to hit a drive through is there anything in particular you find works for you without the fat, carbs, and calories?

Thank you for the advice. It is all invaluable to me. I just need a push for sure!

Jen

there is a whole thread here somewhere about fast food choices that are better than others. lets see if one of us can find it for you

Congratulations on the success you have had so far and for being willing to reach out for help.

You have received lots of great advice already.

Have you talked to your NUT lately about your goals?

What I suggest is to go back to basics:

Follow your program.

Track your food.

Use a fitness tracker.

Focus on getting in all of your Protein and at least 64 oz of fluids, every day. (What is your Protein target?)

Avoid starches, added sugars, and fried foods.

Eat mindfully and slowly, taking small bites and chewing thoroughly.

Take your Vitamins and supplements as directed.

Exercise. Maybe talk with a trainer about your fitness goals and/or try something new and different.

And, Embrace the Stall

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

@@JenniferVSG2011

You've already gotten excellent advice, so just wanted to say "Hi" and welcome!

@@Babbs

Thank you so much! I am starting to feel like I can get back on track now! :D

@@Inner Surfer Girl

I need to make an appointment with a registered dietician as soon as I can. I just ordered a fitness tracker, a new Water bottle with a fruit infuser, yesterday I ordered my Vitamins (I have needed those for so long), and I am trying to decide which food tracker app to download. Everyone has given such great advice. You are so right. I just need to go back to the beginning. I am looking forward to getting back on track.

Thank you so much!!

I have regained most of my weight. I need some guidance and support from others. I was doing so good then I forgot I even had a sleeve. Help me remember what I should be doing to lose the weight. I was working so much but I have stopped that and want to focus on me again.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi rin52,
I am just now getting back on track. I would be more than willing to share any information that might help. I need support as well. Feel free to dm me[emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G935T using BariatricPal mobile app