Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions on the dreaded "3 week stall"

After losing 15 lbs in the two weeks post-op (and 0 lbs pre-op because I didn't do a pre-op diet), I have been stalled for going on 10 days. I know it's normal and to be expected...I've googled it, read the message boards, and still stayed awake at night worrying that 15lbs is all I'd get out of this process.

BUT, I'm wondering what your experiences have been in terms of how long this lasted, and what (if you can identify anything) broke the stall. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My stall lasted about 3 weeks. Then the weight started dropping off again just as it had the first 2 weeks. The stall is nothing to dread, just keep following your doctors orders, and you'll be losing weight again in no time.

Two weeks seems to be about the average duration. I have seen some people who only stall for a few days and some people who's stall has lasted four weeks. But two weeks seems to be the average.

if you have an appointment at a month like I did, your NUT and team will help you make any tweaks you need to get moving again. for me, at that point I was struggling with Constipation issues, once they were resolved I started loosing again. When I stalled again around 8 weeks I did a few days of logging my food on the app I log my exercise on. Realized I either needed to cut back on the walking a bit (the dog was running away from me sometimes) or eat a little more. cut a few workouts, and added a Protein snack, and boom, loosing again now, so maybe that was what was needed. I don't mind embracing a stall, but I don't want to move in and unpack. :D

if you have an appointment at a month like I did, your NUT and team will help you make any tweaks you need to get moving again. for me, at that point I was struggling with Constipation issues, once they were resolved I started loosing again. When I stalled again around 8 weeks I did a few days of logging my food on the app I log my exercise on. Realized I either needed to cut back on the walking a bit (the dog was running away from me sometimes) or eat a little more. cut a few workouts, and added a Protein snack, and boom, loosing again now, so maybe that was what was needed. I don't mind embracing a stall, but I don't want to move in and unpack. :D

Which stall?!?! I have consistently hit a new one every 4-5 weeks since this journey began. HOWEVER, I still keep losing. I started at 305 (highest weight pre-op) and in less than one year I am down to 173lbs. Even with the stalls. Some last a week, some have lasted 3 weeks, one lasted almost 4 weeks with minimal ups & downs before finally dropping 4 lbs practically overnight.

What breaks them?? Nothing really. I know, I've tried. I just push the fluids and keep on exercising like normal. Oh, and I avoid the scale like the plague. I've found that perseverating on the number does nothing but make me more frustrated.

Good luck!

One thing I did early out that helped was to only weigh at doctor's appointments. Staying off the scale is a great way to help focus on following your program (which is what you can control) and not the numbers on the scale (which you cannot control).

Embrace the Stall

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

Usually my stalls only lasted a few days (i know I know, for some that is not a stall), but fear not.. i have recently completed a almost nearly 4 week stall (I think).. I went in for a primary care visit about 4 weeks ago and weight 326.. then (because I weigh myself daily) I saw the number go up to 327, then a few days later 328... then week 2 329.. then 330..

then it topped out a 331.. whew...boy

I am happy to report that after dealing with this stall, not drastically changing any food habits, drinking a touch more crystal lite, a few less sun chips and touch more weight lifting I am now back to 327 as of this morning.

so while it seems odd to read "embrace the stall", during this stall I went down -1 pants size just found out this morning, i purchased some pants from goodwill i knew were too small.. :) they fit now.

ohh I read in another post that during the stall your go to bathroom to tinkle more, I have to say that is the case, but I was not paying attention since my bathroom routine is all off anyway.

but to close out, don't fret I weighed myself everyday and saw half pound movements up and down I just told myself, my body is restructuring and when its done it will let go of more pounds when its ready, the best thing i can do is stay active and up beat, continue to be happy about the pounds and sizes I have lost and wait patiently for the next leg of the journey.

~MojoCAMI

For most of the ladies I talked with we looked at our food journals and made sure we were getting enough protien and Water and then tried to cut back on carbs.One of the ladies I talk with walks a minimum of 3 times a week 30 minutes she has not hit a stall yet. I started walking and my stall broke, I am not the most consistent exerciser but anytime I go near the stall area I up my exercise and I don't have a problem and by exercise I mean walking.