Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

About false believes of regaining weight after surgery!

I was reading and reading and decided to say something about it

I think it depend on what you have in your head and which piece of information you are trying to hear and absorb from hear and there about this issue!

It is a mindset and its up to you to go to that side and hear that crap about regaining after surgery or go to the other side and believe you will never gain with you permanent tool.... .

I know many many people who took the surgery long time ago and10years later they are still skinny and healthy, when I asked them if they had fear about regaining they were surprised about my question looked at me like I am an idiot with a very stupid question and almost all believed it is impossible to gain weight "after surgery" and believed I am even more stupid asking if they followed any diet after surgery? almost all replied

"if we would like to do that why would we have to take the surgery in the first place ???????"

I think that if we (and all people who regained weight) read and read about regaining our mind will start to believe and do what it believed but if we stopped listening to that crap we will never have that issue EVER.

Just threw my two cents here.

Good luck all.

Edited by mia150

Some good points, but at the end of the day it is a wholistic lifestyle change. It isn't the answer for everything.

Edited by MCSleeve81

I don't agree that not acknowledging the possibility of regain is the secret to not regaining. Being aware of the possibility of regain means that people will potentially take steps to avoid it. If I believed regain was impossible, then I might be more likely to ignore the guidelines, eat and drink at the same time, drink my calories, eat slider foods, and graze, which would all most certainly lead to regain.

I do think you are a little right about the mindset though. If you are constantly living in fear of regain, depending on your personality and your propensity for self-sabotage, it might become a self-fulfilling prophesy. If you just acknowledge the potential for regain and take rational and reasonable steps to avoid it and work on establishing healthy habits and routines that will help you avoid it, then you can maintain your loss long term.

It's definitely up to the individual and has a lot to do with being in the right head space. But I don't believe that denial is a sound strategy for long term weight loss maintenance.

Also don't forget everyone is different so it takes that person being serious enough to have the surgery but also its a willingness to change!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Well, people I know don't even believe in diet and restrictions after surgery, they just believe that they have restriction inside them prevent them from over eating ANYTHING, they said that after 10 years of surgery they still can't eat normal size meal which prevent them from gaining the weight back!!

We on the other hand open our eyes on posts how "pouch" stretches over time even thought sleevers don't have one and our minds absorb that and set it later as a fact and begin to act as it happened.

IT IS ALL IN OUR MINDS.

I start to believe that if any one took the surgery has been told that it was his final step and he will never be able to gain the weight back ... Period. ,

no one will every put a pound back!!

A lot of surgeons I consulted with told me that I have to stop thinking about my weight all the time because this is what makes me fat from the first place. One of them said "thin" people don't think about gaining weight rather than thinking about their wellbeing, he said they start to get fat when they start to think about their weight and thats why diets never work!!

Until now I couldn't do it but I am starting to think seriously about all of this because it starts to make sense to me and I will try to close this door FOREVER.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Edited by mia150

@@mia150 Your sleeve or pouch doesn't have to stretch in order for you to be able to gain weight. There are PLENTY of ways to eat around the restriction of the sleeve. As I mentioned in my post above. Eating and drinking at the same time, drinking your calories, eating slider foods, or grazing all day long are ways you can certainly eat more calories than you are burning if you aren't mindful. If I eat milkshakes all day long, I'm gonna gain weight. No ifs, and, or buts about it!