Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did any of you have to try prescription weight loss pills before looking into the gastric sleeve?

My doctor just put me on Phentermine and I am liking it, but I've heard it's very short term, and was really hoping for the gastric sleeve. I'm really worried that after the 3 months the weight will come back, plus some. Did any of you have to try something similar first? If you tried phentermine, what was your experience with it?

I used it years ago, lost 80 lb. Worked out like mad, 2 hours a day to maintain my weight at 150. I was only given 3 months worth, as soon as I stopped I maintained a 1000 calorie diet (horrible metabolism) I had to work really hard and strict exercise to keep weight down. I had some foot issues complicated by walking so much that my work outside slowed down, appetite increased. ..now up to 232. Everyone's body reacts differently though and so I think you have to find what works for you.

Sent from my SM-N920T using the BariatricPal App

I don't recommend it. I've used them several times back in the late 90's and early 2000's. All that happens is as soon as you lose, you will gain it back and then some. They are not healthy for you at all. Good luck with your future decision. I highly recommend the sleeve. I'm having it done May 17.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Ahhhh phentermine.... I have a long, sad relationship with phentermine. I started taking Prescription wl pills in the 1990s when fen phen was the rage (it was a mixture of phentermine and something else) well it was awesome, people (myself included) danced in and out of pop up diet clinics shrieking "IM THIN!!!!" Worked like a charm. I personally lost 24 pounds. Problem was, it caused holes in people's hearts. Bummer!!!!! Diet pills fell out of fashion for a while but came back in the news with xeincal (removes fat from what you eat with rather unpleasant side effects). Slowly doctors began prescribing phentermine and I know in my area there are lots of diet clinics that will prescribe it for a hefty fee. It's GREAT at first- I say my house is never as clean as when it's phentermine clean!! I don't want to eat, have lots of energy, weight comes off- fantastic, right? Well the problem is, your body gets used to it pretty quickly. And each subsequent time you try and take it after it is less effective. You might get a great month or two out of it and that's it. I've tried asking my WL clinic doctor for more at that point ("but my cleaning non eating buzz is gone, can't we bump it up a bit?") is always met with a resounding NO. As a matter of fact, my GP won't even write a script for it- she just thinks it's too short term to really be worth it so I would sneak to clinics. I should also mention it can make you EXTREMELY irritable. I had a friend who took it and was a middle school teacher. Her principal called her in because there were so many parent complaints about her being a witch to the kids and she fully admitted it- the phentermine was making her very testy. She stuck to taking it on weekends and her own kids lived in fear of her. So.... Short working life, hard to get, can make you grouchy... Yeah, it wasn't a long term solution for me. I got a band, it worked pretty well, band broke, I got sleeved last week and am loving life. The only thing I regret is spending all those years dabbling in diet pills. I was a self pay for the band in the Dominican Republic because I had a low BMI going in but man... I after so many years of being miserable I wanted that weight off soooooo bad. Now the sleeve is awesome (insurance paid to cover broken band) - best decision of my life. My husband is thrilled I'm done with diet pills too. Surely I wasn't cranky????? ;) Well at least the house was clean!!! :). Good luck in your journey!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I loved phentermine. Phen-fen was a combo of phentermine and fenflueramine (sp?) and the second was the "bad for your heart" part.

Phentermine is basically legal speed. My energy was endless, I didn't eat or sleep for days, my sex drive was equivalent to that of a 19 year old boy. I darted from here to there cheerfully, couldn't sit down (unless it was on top of the hubby) and I wore EVERYONE out except my myself.

Lost 80 pounds in 3 months and was happier than I have ever been.

Then I got a brain tumor and phentermine can aggravate seizures so... Off I went. Weight regained.

Damn, I miss that stuff. So does my husband.

I was on phentermine a few years back and like others have said it is like taking speed. I had no appetite and I lost 14 lbs in like ten days but I felt like I was literally buzzing by the end of the day each day. I couldn't sleep and felt like my heart was racing all the time, I don't think I blinked for days! So after like two weeks I stopped taking it and as soon as it was out of my system the hunger returned and the pounds came back and brought friends. So, fast forward a few years and I got serious about getting myself in order and lost about 57 lbs pre surgery and have lost another 110 since having the sleeve done.

I've been on most of them over the years. Phen-Fen was my favorite - until I had to come off of them and was like a heroin addict having withdrawals. I tried the pill that you leak anal Fluid - that was a real joy! ;-). There were a few more over the years. Last year I went to my PCP about Belviq and she said absolutely not - it causes too many dangerous side effects. All through my diet pill years I lost and then found all my weight back and someone else's too - to the point of getting over 300lbs. Although now that @@LipstickLady said she had the sex drive of a 19 year old boy - I may give some Phentermine to my boyfriend. ;-).

In all seriousness, diet pills are not successful long term and have to many risks.

Edited by KristenLe

Yes, I've done phentermine -- once with fenfluramine, twice without. Lost weight both times. Regained it all IMMEDIATELY upon stopping the drugs.

Fenfluramine went away due to the cardiac damage it caused. Common side effects of phentermine include:

* feeling restless or hyperactive;

* headache, dizziness, tremors;

* sleep problems (insomnia);

* dry mouth or an unpleasant taste in your mouth;

* diarrhea or Constipation, upset stomach; or.

* increased or decreased interest in sex, impotence.

Back in the 1960s I also used and really, really loved Preludin (phenmetrazine). Sadly, it went away because high-dose injection speed freaks also loved it. ;) And I regained the weight immediately upon stopping taking the drug.

This kind of yo-yo weight loss / weight regain contributes to the magnitude of obesity.

I used one. It made my heart almost explode. Lol. I quit using it after like a week.

I used phentermine early on to jump start my weight loss, and did not gain anything back. I used it for about 6-8 months. I've actually continued to lose. I started at 688lbs, and am currently 450lbs all before surgery. Surgery is scheduled tentatively for 5/31.

The main thing is changing your eating habits. Phentermine will not do anything unless you change how you eat.

I've mostly been doing high Protein, low carb (under 50G per day) diet.

My doctor just put me on Phentermine and I am liking it, but I've heard it's very short term, and was really hoping for the gastric sleeve. I'm really worried that after the 3 months the weight will come back, plus some. Did any of you have to try something similar first? If you tried phentermine, what was your experience with it?

I tried phentermine about 6 years ago. It made me very sleepy (but that could just be me). I think if you have a large amount to lose, phentermine is not the best option because it loses effectiveness after 12 weeks.

Sent from my SM-G925T using the BariatricPal App

...I started at 688lbs, and am currently 450lbs all before surgery. Surgery is scheduled tentatively for 5/31.

Awesome job, man!! YOU GO!!!

Thank you! :)

I agree with the others that it is just legal speed. I lost 30 lbs in 3 months off of it. However, I hardly slept, had zero appetite (that part was good), stopped drinking Diet Coke (I lost all desire for it and the added caffeine would have been over the top), had to run at least 3 miles a day to channel the extra energy, and it made my anxiety go through the roof. Once I got off it, I regained every last pound eventually. Very short term solution that isn't worth the side effects IMO.