Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had not heard about this concept for appetite control, but in a couple of weeks I will be having surgery to have a spinal cord stimulator implanted to help control severe leg pain coming from vertebrae L1-L2.

The method is the same as you described. The device emits a signal of its own to interfere with the pain signals the affected nerve is sending to the brain.

It is interesting that this process is being explored for appetite control.

It would still be surgery. I will have two 4" incisions: one over my spine at L1-L2 and one over my right hip to implant the device in a pocket made under the skin.

I am glad that the research is out there for finding options to removing a majority of one's stomach. I am glad to have my sleeve, but this would have been an interesting option, too.

I had a neurostimulator in my spine for 10 years and just had it removed in November. Mine was an older device that did not have rechargeable capability and given I had lost over 100lbs it was literally sticking out of my lower back, I got it stuck in the slats of a chair once didn't know it and tried to stand up. Ouch!!!

Anyway, I wanted to respond because this device literally gave me back my life. I had severe nerve pain running down my leg following lumbar fusion surgery. We tried everything for 5 years and finally they offered me the neurostimulator solution. The first time we turned it on in the operating room it felt magical. The pain was gone and it felt like tiny littles champagne bubbles running up and down my spine and my leg.

They work! It only makes sense that they could somehow use it to resolve the feelings of hunger.

I do believe in order for long term success a person would still have to deal with head hunger, cravings and the underlying food addiction issues.

I know even days or weeks after my RNY, I had head hunger that would make me want to go eat a cheeseburger. I had to learn how to deal with it.

Obviously the same diet and exercise will be important as well right?

Very interesting, thanks for sharing.