Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a young daughter and travel for work, I'm hoping to get feed back on what you all eat when out and about at chain places and sit downs. Sometimes finding the healthiest options are tough when you're on the go. Also how long do you all take to eat the portions you do?

I'm days away from my 5 month mark!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I too travel frequently and have to eat out when we are away. I am nearing the one year mark, but have been eating out since just after my pureed stage. I have found a few things that helped me:

1. Get familiar with the menu BEFORE going. Most places have menus online now. Take a few minutes to research what restaurants are in the area and check out what they have to offer. I find if I am armed before going in, my frustrations are less.

2. Don't be afraid to order an appetizer as your meal. I do it all the time. When they ask if you want that first, I simply say "No thank you, this is my meal tonight." Never had an issue.

3. Protein, Protein, protein! I tend to order fish, chicken, or if all else fails, a burger and I pull it apart. I eat the protein, or what I can of it depending on the portion size. Sometimes I give my sides to kids/hubby. Sometimes I just leave them on the plate.

4. If I really cannot find a single thing to order, I will get a Soup. I never order chowders, as they are too heavy for my sleeve and fill me too fast. However, most restaurants have French Onion or another broth based Soup on the menu.

I love TGIFridays because I can order 2 sliders, eat just the patties and be full. I also have been know to ask if I can order off the kids menu. Some places allow it, some don't. I just tell them that due to abdominal surgery I cannot eat typical portions and I hate to waste food.

Best of luck & enjoy!!!

When in doubt I choose Mexican and get fajitas then I can pick out the meat and eat some of the veggies and bypass the rest.

I've been looking at menus prior to surgery for items I'll be able to eat post surgery. Many restaurants have a light menu which often have at least 1 protein/veggie option. Chili's has several possibilities. You may not be able to eat the entire meal but they're smaller. A few places now have a a greek platter appetizer (hummus, olives, etc) - 99 Restaurant has one and a few local places here. We have a few places that have bun-less options for burgers (beef or turkey). As mentioned above - there's always Soup. For fast-food - Wendy's Chili is an option or a grilled chicken sandwich minus the bun from the other fast food places. I'm not sure at what point salads will be okay but there's usually a salad option with Protein and also you can replace a typical side (fries, potatoes)with a salad. In terms of traveling - many hotels have a little refrigerator now so you can bring back leftovers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 4 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

4. AmberFL

How are you doing? any update?!

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches