Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Only drinking protein shakes one month later!

Hi everyone,

I am one month out and I am still only drinking Protein shakes I tried other things but about two bits I get really full and feel sick, is this normal?

I want to be able to go back to eating somethings again is making me really sad that one month later and am still on Protein only. My Drs says is normal but I want to know if you guys have gone throw this and when it gets better. I had 85% of my stomach removed so I don't know if that plays a part in it being it maybe more of a restriction?

Thanks everyone for your help....

I eased into real foods by eating yogurt (carbmaster line from kroger), drinking high Protein milk (Fairlife or Mootopia) and baked fish. Oh and cheese and refried Beans.

I tried eating scrambled egg and threw it up until about 4 months out. :(

I'd suggest you just eat ONE teaspoon of something that sounds and tastes good (while still being on your list of okay foods of course), wait about 10 minutes, then try another spoonful. Only do this for one meal a day until you can work up to a few ounces for that meal. Then start adding spoonfuls to other meals.

Your stomach hasn't had to deal with solid food for a while now, so you need to baby it. Take it ridiculously slow.

I opted to stay on Protein drinks only for the first 4 weeks.

I figured that doing so would allow my new stomach to heal. I also did not trust myself to open up the door and invite pureed stuff in. I knew that it wouldn't take much for me to skip yogurt and go to ice cream.

Even now, at 6 months out....I can go on a liquid only diet for 2-3 days and come out of it really feeling my restriction.

I'm grateful for my restriction, too. Knowing it's there in case I break down and cheat is comforting.

For what it's worth.....it took me a bit over 2 months before I reached that "normal" state again.....the state where I'd allow myself to enjoy the flavors of stuff I'd cook or grill. I became a carnivore.......a T-Rex sized carnivore that took only tiny portions to fuel.

You will certainly get there. It's coming. You are in the tough days of the sleeve experience, in my opinion. Everything will get very easy really soon. Hang in there and know that good changes are coming.

@@Dub, I was contemplating doing that for my first month, all shakes, but was concerned about getting enough nutrients. Frankly, the "mush" stage is totally unappealing to me. Blech.

You had no adverse effects from doing just shakes and Vitamins?

I don't want to sabotage anything, but even just the brainless aspect of Water and shakes only appeals to me; one less thing to think about during the day and gives me time to heal fully.

@@Dub, I was contemplating doing that for my first month, all shakes, but was concerned about getting enough nutrients. Frankly, the "mush" stage is totally unappealing to me. Blech.

You had no adverse effects from doing just shakes and Vitamins?

I don't want to sabotage anything, but even just the brainless aspect of Water and shakes only appeals to me; one less thing to think about during the day and gives me time to heal fully.

No adverse effects at all.

Heck....it may have even been more healthy than what I do now by eating the Protein and supplementing with Vitamins and Calcium. Those shakes had a lot of vitamins in them, too....certainly better numbers than just a piece of chicken or steak.

My surgeon seemed to have no problems with me doing this, either. He did, however, encourage me to move on to soft solid foods at the four week point.....moist meats.

I did so but it was a tentative effort. I chewed stuff so much that it may as well have been pureed. lol.

I did so and was scared of if my stomach was healed enough to handle solid food......

I needed those extra weeks to get myself psyched up for it.

@@Dub, okay, that's cool. I'm sure by then I'll be dying for some dark rotisserie chicken meat and ready to move on to greener pastures of food choices!

@@Dub, okay, that's cool. I'm sure by then I'll be dying for some dark rotisserie chicken meat and ready to move on to greener pastures of food choices!

There is a great variety available to you, too.

I don't worry much about food. I know that I can go to any restaurant and select something I like from their menu. I may not eat the sides, but the meats are almost all good to go for me.

I prefer eating grilled, broiled or boiled meats....however, I'll occasionally have fried stuff. My taste preferences have changed a bit in that I don't really like the flavor of fried food so much now.

I've become quite picky and demanding of my food, in fact. Prior to my sleeve surgery I can't remember ever going to a restaurant and being served something that I had to send back. Since the sleeve....I've sent back overcooked steaks and chicken. It's been a surprising turn of events, but one that I make no apologies over. When I order a filet mignon medium rare.....that's how I want it to arrive. Overcooked dry chicken??? No thanks.

One thing that I've been enjoying recently are salad bars. I don't do much in the way of lettuce....but I love loading them down with eggs, some cheese and the other low sugar toppings, crunchy vegetables and small amounts of sunflower seeds.....and cottage cheese on the side (I used to detest cottage cheese....now, it's all good to me).

I'm 16 weeks out and my primary Protein source is still shakes. I can tolerate shrimp, eggs, lean steaks, yogurt and cheese..

I can not stand Chicken!!

I had my Vitamin levels checked and the only issue was my Iron is low.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App