Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frustrated and confused :(

I went from not eating enough to maybe eating too much? I started tracking my food today and Water intake. I've Neen doing great with fluids but I had to force my meals in and now I'm uncomfortabley full.....how many calories should my goal be? And is that including Protein drinks? This is so annoying to try and keep up with.......I'm 3 weeks post op and over it already

Mrs. Hollis

I was told to only worry about fluids and Proteins and not calories. Eat very small portions (2-3 ozs.) even if you think you have more room. Protein shakes can be considered a meal on my plan too. Add Protein powder to fluids instead of eating more food if you don't want to eat. Hang in there!

Thank u! I think I'm trying too hard and over thinking it at times. I just want to do everything perfectly lol I know that sounds stupid

Mrs. Hollis

It is very overwhelming in the beginning! You will get the hang of it! Promise! It just takes time. You are doing the best you can. Stay hydrated and get your Protein and learn to track and then it will eventually work itself out.

It is very overwhelming in the beginning! You will get the hang of it! Promise! It just takes time. You are doing the best you can. Stay hydrated and get your Protein and learn to track and then it will eventually work itself out.

Thank u soooooo much for the encouragement

Mrs. Hollis

I'm just outside of 4 months post op and my calorie goal is 650-800.

But I agree with KristenLe, this early on concentrate on your Protein and Water intake and don't force food. The overeating will make you feel miserable.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Look over your dietary guidelines from your surgeon again, there should be a calorie target or range along with your Protein and Fluid goals.

I'm 7 week out, and in the next month I'll be increasing calories as my capacity increases. I'm about 650-700/day now, I need to head to 800-1200.

My surgeon made it really simple for me to understand.

He's never mentioned calories or nutritional macro requirements.

He has simply stressed on plan of attack that is simple and straightforward.

It is this: each 3 meals per day of the correct size and take all your Vitamins, Calcium and Iron supplements. Avoid snacking.

The proper meal size began at 1/4 cup in volume (steak, chicken, pork or fish) and was increased by him to 1/2 cup in size. During my 6 month appointment he said I should shoot for a full cup by the 12 month point.

He also added that I could add fresh vegetables in small portions providing I'm eating the Protein first.

Your thinking too much into it. Your going to drive yourself crazy. You should have a nutritionist who broke all this down for you. If not speak with your surgeon so he/she can offer you a plan. I simply write down everything that I consume. We should be eating 6 small meals a day. When I prepare my meals and began to eat. I make sure I eat the Protein first. I may have a chicken breast and will only eat half. That is cooked on the George Forman grill or baked in the oven or grill. Once a month it's fried. I do this at the beginning of every month. It's my treat. As for the sides I generally get a spoon full or two. Also the smallest plate in the house. I'm not much of a Water girl so my drinks I dilute with plenty of water. I'm working on the water but I will not stress over that. I walk 4/5 miles a day and do P90x. My surgeon wants me to join a gym but I opt not to. Have a dialog with your surgeon and your nutritionist to find what works for you.

I was told to only worry about fluids and Proteins and not calories. Eat very small portions (2-3 ozs.) even if you think you have more room. Protein shakes can be considered a meal on my plan too. Add Protein powder to fluids instead of eating more food if you don't want to eat. Hang in there!

Thank u! I think I'm trying too hard and over thinking it at times. I just want to do everything perfectly lol I know that sounds stupid

Mrs. Hollis

For some reason I'm not liking the Protein Shakes. My mother recommend Ensure and why what a difference. I'm not sure what's going on with my taste buds but since the surgery they have change substantial. But as for the Ensure it is pack with Vitamins and minerals and it taste very good.

For some reason I'm not liking the Protein shakes. My mother recommend Ensure and why what a difference. I'm not sure what's going on with my taste buds but since the surgery they have change substantial. But as for the Ensure it is pack with Vitamins and minerals and it taste very good.

I personally think Ensure is not a good choice. Look at the label. How much Protein and how much sugar? You may be very surprised.

Have you tried Premier Protein?