Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This week has been my REAL food week! I am so happy to get to throw my food processor back in its hiding space and slowly chew through some solids. My physician plan states that I should be eating between 1 cup and 1.5 cups of food per meal. My question is.....do you guys snack in between? I'm finding that even with this volume of food (apparently I can pack away just about that) I feel hungry every 3 hours or so. I've tried to quell it with lots of Water but I'm having a tough time convincing myself it's head hunger. Anyone else having this issue? If so do you just ignore it and eat three meals a day? That's what my surgeon post op diet packet suggests but WHOA is it hard.

Could it also be possible that a high protein/low carb diet is keeping me hungry?

Any input would be appreciated :)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My surgeon also advised against snacking. He insists that 3 meals will be more than enough to keep me full if they are Protein focused. I'm still on my post op liquid diet but on my instructions packet says about 3 times no snacking. I assumed I wouldn't be hungry between meals.

Sent from my SM-N920T using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Jaez

Firat of all 1 to 1.5 cups of food sounds like alot. I can't eat that much 7 months post sleeve. Second I absolutely snack. I choose healthy items like string cheese some yogurt or some fruits or vegggies

My NUT suggested eating 5-6 small meals about every 3 hours. I was told 3-4ozs a meal. 1 - 1 1/2 cups seems like a large portion this soon out. You might want to take a PPI - it may be stomach acid instead of true hunger.

After 6 weeks (one more week) I was told to have three small meals ( 3 ounces of dense Protein plus veggies if still room, no more than 1/2 cup total) and two small Snacks (string cheese, greek yogurt, 1/3 c of cottage cheese). They did say if we are getting our required Protein we can REPLACE a protein snack with a vegetable snack, but likely we won't be able to do that until we are closer to a year when we can move up to slightly bigger portions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

1/2 cup for me, with Snacks in between.

If I go over the 3 hour time, I get very hungry.

I have 2 Cruskits with cream cheese and tuna mayo on them, another snack for me is 1/2 cup yoghurt with some Protein powder.

I also have a little healthy dessert, couple of hours after my dinner: little diet jelly with home made banana yoghurt, or Vaalia yoghurt, or bit of custard.

The 3 hour in between food rule works for me, if I forget and go over 4 hours, I get very hungry.

So, for me, frequent small portions, spread out through-out the day, with Protein with each meal/snack

. My physician plan states that I should be eating between 1 cup and 1.5 cups of food per meal.

Wow. That is a lot of food. I can't eat that much and I'm over two years out. Maybe try eating a lot less but more frequently. I could only do a couple tablespoons at a time for the first 4-6 months. But once my sleeve relaxed a bit I could eat more. At this point I typically eat 1/4-1/2 cup 6-8 times/day. I never bothered to distinguish between meals and Snacks.

Also, are you taking a PPI? Acid often feels like hunger. And is what you're eating all high Protein? Carbs will definitely make you feel hungry sooner.

I think stomach acid might be the culprit. I only just started taking my PPI.

I agree. I thought the recommended amount of food was A LOT, especially since I've been reading these forums for a while and see people struggling to get their meals in. I said I could eat that much but I don't think I can! When I was eating refried Beans I could only do 1/2 cup before getting super super full so I stopped eating before I was uncomfortable. Mindful eating is a habit I'm working on. I think perhaps because I made myself chicken pinwheels it felt like a ton of food.< /p>

I've been eating chicken, bison, turkey and simple steamed veggies. Nothing crazy. I snack on cheese, a boiled egg, or cottage cheese.

Thanks everyone!

I think stomach acid might be the culprit. I only just started taking my PPI.

I agree. I thought the recommended amount of food was A LOT, especially since I've been reading these forums for a while and see people struggling to get their meals in. I said I could eat that much but I don't think I can! When I was eating refried Beans I could only do 1/2 cup before getting super super full so I stopped eating before I was uncomfortable. Mindful eating is a habit I'm working on. I think perhaps because I made myself chicken pinwheels it felt like a ton of food.

I've been eating chicken, bison, turkey and simple steamed veggies. Nothing crazy. I snack on cheese, a boiled egg, or cottage cheese.

Thanks everyone!

Everyone can eat different amounts so just go slow and learn what your full signals are. I am 8 months post op and still learning how much of what food I can eat