Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone, I'm new just have some concerns [emoji53]

I got sleeved on April 7th. I was 198 lbs the day of surgery and I'm 5'1. Iv been so depressed and regretting the choice Iv made but can't take it back now I have only lost 10 lbs since surgery. I hardly eat due to the hassle of it. I can't believe something I use to enjoy doing so much I now dred the thought of. I've lost more weight faster just buy dieting alone. I feel terrible for what iv done to myself especially with no results. I know weight loss was going to be slow for me but not this slow. Any one else have these issues?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hi @@tdb0127

Sounds like you've had a pretty ordinary time of it thus far...

Without knowing anything about your situation, its hard to give any sound opinions...

What does strike me tho is your statement that you "hardly eat due to the hassle of it"...

I certainly understand that thought process...

I was sleeved in Feb '15 and am still yet to feel hunger...

I've had to train myself to eat again...

The desire to eat comes to me only occasionally...

Unfortunately, the reality of it is that if you don't eat, you'll starve...

Especially for you at only 3 weeks out...

Your body is still recovering from the major surgery/trauma you've been thru...

You'll still be swollen to some degree inside..

But to be blunt, you've gotta suck it up...

You've gotta eat..

You'll not lose weight by not eating...

Yes, you'll drop poundage...

But that's not losing weight...

That's wasting away...

I will (almost) guarantee that if you start getting your Protein in and keeping your Water up, you'll find that the kgs (or lbs if you're so inclined) will start to drop off you and you'll start to feel better about things...

A few here will recommend a therapist..

If that's gonna help, please seek out such assistance...

Ultimately, what you say is spot on...

It's too late now...

It's done...

You may as well make the best of it and follow whatever instructions your medical team has given you...

And while I'm no doctor of stuff, I'm sure their instructions included eating...

Good luck with it all...

Please update us as you continue..

I hope you find some resolutions soon...

Take care...

Kinda

The first month is tough.

You are getting shed of the surgical inflammation and Fluid retention.

You WILL lose much unwanted weight.

Your choice of foods that you eat will seriously determine what kind of weight you lose.....high Protein.....low carb.....will spare muscle and help you to burn fat and burn it a rate that will amaze you.

The pre-op diet and the first month after are the hardest parts. Somewhere around 8 weeks out I began to feel like a new man.........and every day since.

Relax......take deep breaths......you are headed for great places.

Relax.

Thanks so much for the replying and advice so it sounds like some of what I am going through is common. I'm just gonna keep my fingers crossed and hope for better days soon.

Yes my doctor did tell me I need to eat more and that it will make me feel better. So I'm trying.

But thanks again for the advice it was really helpful

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

And @@tdb0127

Don't ever be shy about coming in here and seeking assistance or information...

There's likely someone here who has been thru what you're going thru, no matter what it may be...

Even if you just need to rant, come in here and let off steam...

Sometimes, just knowing that someone else really does understand how you feel can be enough to get you out of your funk...

:D

I lost 10.4 pounds the first month post-op.

I averaged 10 pounds lost the first four months.

After that, the weight loss slowed.

At 20.5 months post-op, my combined pre-op and post-op weight losses total 100 pounds. I reached my weight loss target (150 pounds) 8.5 months post-op and now weigh 135 pounds, which I've maintained for some time. It took me 9 months to lose the last 15 pounds.

I will guaran-damn-tee you that when you reach your weight loss target and that when you have maintained that goal for months -- and probably for the first time in your life -- that you won't give two hoots for how fast you lost the weight.

Losing weight super-fast is actually not the goal of sleeve surgery. The goal is to lower your stomach's capacity, reduce your hunger impulses and give you time to learn healthy eating habits so you can be healthy and normal-sized for the rest of your life.

I know you can't eat much now -- you're not even a month post-op. But please don't think you're supposed to starve yourself. Instead, learn how to eat much more nutritiously than you once did. Learn how to savor the food you do eat. Learn how to enjoy exercise and an active lifestyle. This is a great opportunity to change / save your life. Please don't judge its effectiveness or its benefits by your first three weeks post-op.

For those with a hundred or more lbs to lose, it seems the weight is shed be quicker. This isn't always the case, though. What is your goal weight?

Sent from my SM-G360T using the BariatricPal App

10 lbs in 3 weeks is great! You don't have as much to lose as others so it will come off slower. But unlike losing weight before surgery it won't come right back if you stick with the plan. Be sure to get your fluids in and enough Protein and you'll be at goal in no time!