Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calories burned vs consumed, insight needed

I'm four weeks post op and I've been working to increase my exercise. I feel hungrier this week after burning more calories. For example today I burned 610 calories from exercise and I've consumed 564. I will have an additional 100 calories tonight for my pm snack...so a total of 665. This will be a total of 66 grams of Protein.

My question is should I be eating more calories to compensate for the burned calories? I'm kind of confused about this for some reason. Any insight is much appreciated!!!!

you havent added in the daily burn that is the amount of calories you burn just in regular daily activity as well. you are supposed to be in a huge caloric deficit. Thats one of the things we use to lose weight. the person who needs extra calories are those who arent trying to lose and are working out heavily.

Trying to eat back calories is a loser's game IMO -- and I don't mean loser as in the weight loss kind of way. Exercise is great for your health but not for weight loss.

I don't even count calories burned. I record exercise minutes in MyFitnessPal so I know what I've been doing, but I always change the burned calories to 1.

http://www.vox.com/2016/4/28/11518804/weight-loss-exercise-myth-burn-calories

A lot depends on how much you exercise and at what levels. I do high intensity cardio for 2 hours a day, and add a weight class 3 days a week. My average calorie burn is about 1200-1500 calories from working out. My Dr told me to increase my calories to at least 1200 so that I would stay out of the starvation mode. With that increase I still had to keep my Protein at 50%, but he wanted me to add more veggies and nuts to make up the difference. It doesn't take too many nuts to increase your calorie intake pretty quickly so you have to measure and be careful.

I agree with others. I don't eat back my exercise calories.

I would recommend that you not do really intense exercise until you are able to consume at least 1000+ calories a day, though.

Awesome! Thanks! I used to use my exercise as and excuse to eat...I would use that as motivation to work out just so I could have an extra snack or something. So I want to be sure I'm doing the right thing now. I have (according to my Apple Watch) burned over 2800 calories so far today. That includes exercise and regular movement. I will follow the rule not to "eat back". Thanks again. Really really want to do the right thing. Not starve myself but also not eat unnecessarily.

Trying to eat back calories is a loser's game IMO -- and I don't mean loser as in the weight loss kind of way. Exercise is great for your health but not for weight loss.

I don't even count calories burned. I record exercise minutes in MyFitnessPal so I know what I've been doing, but I always change the burned calories to 1.

http://www.vox.com/2016/4/28/11518804/weight-loss-exercise-myth-burn-calories

Thanks for the article. Very enlightening.