Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tell me about your progression of foods...

Now that I'm six weeks post op bypass, I've been given the go-ahead to progress onto different foods at my own pace.

I'm CRAVING salads and raw veggies, but scared to death to try them! How some people look at cakes and pastries with food envy is how I feel about a simple tossed salad or a stalk of celery!

NUT said to move from soft, cooked to a little crunch to raw as tolerated.

What were your experiences? I realize there are some I won't be able to tolerate, but bring on your stories!

A small amount of cucumber went ok. I want to try a bit of endive instead of crackers. Saurkraut was a fail. Too stringy. Surgery was RNY 3/9/16

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by NewAngela

I was 3/23/16. Do you recall when you tried the cucumber?

Now that I'm six weeks post op bypass, I've been given the go-ahead to progress onto different foods at my own pace.

I'm CRAVING salads and raw veggies, but scared to death to try them! How some people look at cakes and pastries with food envy is how I feel about a simple tossed salad or a stalk of celery!

NUT said to move from soft, cooked to a little crunch to raw as tolerated.

What were your experiences? I realize there are some I won't be able to tolerate, but bring on your stories!

This is me too - I eat celery just about every night (of course with dip unfortunately) and I know it'll be a while before I can eat it post-op (if ever). I could care less if I ever eat another piece of cake.

I was 3/23/16. Do you recall when you tried the cucumber?

Just yesterday, and today too. I tried to avoid the skin. I had most of an average medium sized cucumber today.

Edited by NewAngela

I am five weeks postop yesterday the office had Olive Garden salad for a lunch meeting I was hesitant to try it but figured I would I just cut the lettuce tomatoes and olives up in really small pieces drizzle just a little bit of Salad Dressing and ate it slowly it seemed to stay down okay and I did not have a stomach ache last night was very happy that I could keep salad down the key is just to experiment try a little of something at a time and to see how your pouch handles it go for it and hopefully you'll be able to eat the salad that you're craving now that I know my pouch tolerated salad I'm excited to start trying to top it with tuna and eggs and eating it for lunch and dinner and seeing if that helps me as well best of luck to you !!!!!

Sent from my KFSAWI using the BariatricPal App

You were brave to try that at work!!!!

Lol. Yes I though the about that later like what was I thinking, but luckily it was ok. It was actually so refreshing to have something fresh like that, so used to yogurt, Beans, cottage cheese, tuna, eggs. It was a nice change.

Sent from my KFSAWI using the BariatricPal App

Lisa,

I opted for "wet" fruits. I started with watermelon, strawberries-also both are low carb.

Raw vegetables I was cautioned against until the three month mark. The veggies I did try in months 2 & 3 were all soft, wet, no skin. I had great luck with green Beans, zucchini & squash-but just the middle-no even the outside cooked.

My surgeon said trying raw vegetables could be abrasive to the pouch, very hard to digest and basically ill-adviced until the third month. The above suggestions were the extent of vegetables I tried. At month 3, I did start with small amounts, usually an ounce at a time, of raw vegetables.

I know many find lettuce intolerable but I've had no issues.

Best of luck!!

I didn't try raw veggies until about 10 weeks Post Op. I'm about 3 months now and I eat whatever veggie I want cooked or raw. I just chew really good. I cut them up really fine or even use my potato peeler for cucumber, carrots and radishes if I have a small salad. That way it is thin sliced and easy to chew. I haven't had dumping from eating anything but I have had it from drinking right after I ate. I just mindlessly did it as habit and paid for it. Anyways, I think you'll be fine if you chew really good. I just recently added peppers to the mix and those were fine too. :)