Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can Gastric Bypass Surgery Put Diabetes in Remission?

A study by David Cummings et. al. published in Diabetalogia investigated the mounting evidence indicates that Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGB) ameliorates type 2 diabetes.

32 adults were divided into 2 groups. In the ILMI [intensive lifestyle and medical intervention] group, the individuals performed ≥45 min of aerobic exercise 5 days per week, a dietitian-directed weight- and glucose-lowering diet, and optimal diabetes medical treatment for 1 year. In the RYGB group, the individuals received Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGB).

Diabetes remission at 1 year was 60.0% with RYGB vs 5.9% with ILMI (p = 0.002). Compared with the most rigorous ILMI yet tested against surgery in a randomised trial, RYGB yielded greater type 2 diabetes remission in mild-to-moderately obese patients recruited from a well-informed, population-based sample.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs00125-016-3903-x

I am almost 3 years post-op RNY surgery. I had Type 2 diabetes and took 2 types of medication prior to surgery. When I left the hospital 2 days after surgery, my diabetes went into remission and I went off my meds. It has stayed in remission ever since. Many individuals on this website report similar results. But a few don't. From prior posts, one of the variables for success appears to be the length of time the individual had diabetes prior to surgery. So one of the interesting points of this study is:

The groups were equivalent regarding all baseline characteristics, except that the RYGB cohort had a longer diabetes duration (11.4 ± 4.8 vs 6.8 ± 5.2 years, p = 0.009).

My A1C at pre-op was a 6.5 and I have not taken any meds since 2 months prior to my surgery and have not had a high BS testing since then...I would have to say it assisted me into going into remission..but I think that is only because of the different food choices I have made. Pre-op was on Atkins (carbs less than 20) and since surgery only meat and small portions of green veggies so I think that has more to do with it.

Prior to surgery I was type 2 diabetic taking 2 medications including insulin and blood pressure medicine. Since surgery, my diabetes has been in remission. No medicine whatsoever and just had blood work done a couple weeks ago and my A1C is in the normal range

My A1C prior to my pre op diet was 9.5 and I was on an insulin pump, metformin and Januvia. 4 weeks into my pre op diet I dropped 40 lbs and my blood sugars ranged in the 80's. And A1C dropped to 6.9. My endocrinologist took me off my insulin pump and all diabetes medications even before surgury. Today I'm 6 days post op and my numbers are below 100. I follow up with my endocrinologist ar the end if the month so I'm hoping my diabetes will stay in remission.

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

I had normal blood glucose levels, without medication, within 48 hours of my RNY. I'm now 9 months out, and continue to be fine.

My sugars stabilized post op but I can't say I am cured. No meds, but doing alot to keep bg levels below 100. Gone up after I returned to work, had been in 70s 80s right after surgery.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using the BariatricPal App

I am a type 1 diabetic so while my upcoming surgery is unlikely to cure my diabetes, it could make significant differences to control. Some studies show that type 1 diabetics who are overweight have a much harder time keeping their sugars well controlled and this seems to improve after RNY surgery thus improving their overall health because of it.

@@tonetone me too, great till about 3 weeks after surgery now they are around 130, still in diabetic range, I'm hoping they will go down to normal range again the more weight i lose. Since I stated my pre RNY surgery diet in April '16, I have lost almost 50 lbs. Not taking meds now

Well I am 3 weeks post op now and still on insulin ... I am taking half the daily dose I used to but still need it or my sugars go up even if I eat and drink nothing. I do find that I don't need the fast acting insulin with meals because I don't eat enough to affect my sugars significantly.