Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 6 days away from surgery & scared as heck!

I'm excited to have gastric bypass on May 2. When he originally gave me that date it felt so dang far away. Now I'm 6 days from it & the stomach nerves are buzzing & I start worrying about the actual surgery (never even had a hospital stay, let alone surgery). But this is the start of my new life-the one I've dreamed about for 30 years. I'm ready, but I'm scared. I'm sure this is normal, but I would love some encouragement & helpful hints from you wonderful & wise surgery vets. TIA.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Good luck on your upcoming surgery. It is common to have the jitters before the surgery. Many do. In order to get you better prepared for surgery, I recommend 2 things.

1. Walk at least 30 minutes per day for now on. It will help the recovery process go smoothly and remove much of the pain you might experience after surgery, especially the gas pain.

2. If you haven't given up all caffeine and carbonated beverages, do so now. When I went cold turkey on my 6 diet coke a day habit I went through a week of caffeine withdrawal syndrome - severe headaches and body aches. It is better to get that over with now then compound it with the effects of surgery. Otherwise it is like a one two wammy.

Thanks James. Yeah I haven't had soda in years & gave up all caffeine last fall. Also I don't walk every day but I exercise at the gym and do either a Zumba class or my regular routine (cardio & strength training) and hoping that this will all help.

Good luck!! I was shocked at how calm I was the day of surgery....I was so ready for it!

You'll be just fine. I was anxious for my procedure, but the day of surgery I was ready for it to happen. The procedure is not horrible, and I was fortunate to not have a lot of pain afterwards; more discomfort and soreness. I am 2 weeks post-op right now and back to work. Just don't try to overdo it in the beginning. I learned that the hard way. Zumba will have to wait a little while. For now, just make sure to walk. It does help with everything mentioned by James.

Good Luck. You will be fine. Be sure to have everything set and ready so you are not worried about anything the day of surgery. Focus on yourself. You deserve it!

Being anxious is perfectly normal. You'll do great. Just cut yourself some slack after the surgery (don't expect to be running laps in a day or two!). Give your body time to heal and follow your doctors' instructions. We're all here cheering you on!

I started to get super nervous the days leading into surgery. And this was after being pretty gung-ho through the whole 4 month process. But the day of surgery I was READY. I kept hearing stories of people saying "Oh, it's not that bad, etc", but now that I'm about 6 weeks out (tomorrow!), I can say - it was worth it and I should've told myself to calm down. The first few weeks will be a little rough with transitioning through the food stages, but if I can give any advise - try your best to make sure you have your Protein powders and things like that ready so that it can make the transitions smoother. And I didn't start trying Protein Shakes until AFTER surgery - I bought a lot of bad ones before settling on the ones I like the best. If you can, try some out and see what you like!

Edited by nearperfectmess

Oh yes, I'm ready. Been drinking multiple different Protein shakes for months. This weekend I'm doing mostly Protein Shakes to prepare then Sunday it's all liquids!

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByBariatricPal1461705908.723322.jpg

Those are my favorite as well! Once you're able to add fruit in, no sugar added frozen fruit + Premier Protein + Magic Bullet/Blender is the BEST.

I do the Premier Protein shakes as well. I have added in some others for lower Protein since after surgery you need to hit like 70 grams protein, but the Premier are 30 so only 2 can be done. I have Kellogg's at 10 grams of Protein, Boost Glucose Control at 16 grams, and just got Pure Protein banana Cream at 35 grams. I like to have variety. Let me tell you, prior to surgery I had to do a 2 week pre-op liquid diet. I am so tired of broth! It is good on a cold night, but the weather is beginning to warm up, and it just doesn't fill that need to crunch! That will have to wait for quite a while. I'm just now venturing into pureed foods. I bought fruit when it was on sale and washed it and sliced it up and froze it in individual snack bags to add to a Protein shake. Delicious!!

Don't be afraid; you've made the decision to be a healthier you and this is the beginning of the rest of your life! Be excited!

What you may not be able to see in the picture are Inspire Protein powders (blueberry cheesecake is my fave) with 20 G Protein & nectar with 10 (I just add that to my Water with Crystal Light). But my Dr says at least 80g protein.

I've used Premiere since I started this process last Sept. Used to blend spinach & frozen blueberries in it. Yum.

I'm at my pre op right now. So nervous but down another 8 lbs!

Just go look at yourself in the mirror. Remember your taking control and ready to lose this weight Forever! No messing up. Stock up on a gas-x, broth, Splenda, Decaf coffee, and Jello. Hey very attention to your bowel movement. If you don't go call your doctors office. I didn't go for seven days and I ended up getting bowel obstruction. I prefer to tell you now instead of you finding out the hard way. As for juice, i drink strawberry banana v8 LIGHT. 50 calories. It was to sweet at first. I had to Water it down. My taste buds changed after surgery. I'm 7 month post op. I had the RNY. I'm down 100lbs. good luck!