Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Second guessing choice for sleeve

I am scheduled for a revision from band to sleeve on May 10 (yes, two weeks away) and after reading people's posts on both sleeve and bypass I'm starting to wonder if I should revise to bypass instead. I was originally banded in 2008 at a starting weight of 260. Lost about 60 lbs but have gained 30 back. Band has slipped from puking, I have slight reflux (kept in check by a ppi), PCOS, and pre-diabetes.

I need to lose right at 100 lbs to be at my "desired" weight although I'd be happy losing 50-75. So I know for the amount of weight I want to lose the sleeve makes sense. I'm just nervous about failing yet again. I know it wasn't all the band's fault - I didn't follow the rules 100% of the time. I am tired of sliming and puking and fighting to get to the green zone - I've finally given up on the band working so I am moving on - but I need to know to what?!?! Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance!

This is just my personal opinion, I had my lapband removed in Oct. 2015 and now am having the sleeve done April 27th 2016. I spoke with both my primary Dr. and My Bariatric Dr. about both of them. Both recommended for me the Sleeve with lots of Pro's but also remember the option for the Bypass is still there if need be for any reason. There will always be people who agree with and disagree with anything you set out to research.. Just do your research and do what you feel comfortable with.

Best of Luck!

You didn't really give any reasons for why you are starting to lean toward bypass. Is there something specific about bypass that makes you think you will be more successful?

I had severe acid reflux (GERD) and that is the reason why I choose RNY gastric bypass surgery. The sleeve will only make this condition worse.

From someone who has had both the sleeve and gastric bypass I highly recommend going with the bypass. Many do well with the sleeve however I found that it was too easy to gain and did not provide me with enough restriction. I am much more successful with the bypass maintaining since January.

I am scheduled for a revision from band to sleeve on May 10 (yes, two weeks away) and after reading people's posts on both sleeve and bypass I'm starting to wonder if I should revise to bypass instead. I was originally banded in 2008 at a starting weight of 260. Lost about 60 lbs but have gained 30 back. Band has slipped from puking, I have slight reflux (kept in check by a ppi), PCOS, and pre-diabetes.

I need to lose right at 100 lbs to be at my "desired" weight although I'd be happy losing 50-75. So I know for the amount of weight I want to lose the sleeve makes sense. I'm just nervous about failing yet again. I know it wasn't all the band's fault - I didn't follow the rules 100% of the time. I am tired of sliming and puking and fighting to get to the green zone - I've finally given up on the band working so I am moving on - but I need to know to what?!?! Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance!

I have been having doubts on everything and I haven't even heard back from my insurance yet. I too have a band and have ultimately failed with it. I figured out how to eat around it and gain the weight back despite the years of puking. Maybe I will do the same with the sleeve too? I am not feeling real good about surgery at the moment but that could be all the emotional turmoil I have been going through BESIDES the wls issue. Ugh.

I would go with whatever your surgeon recommends for you. That's what I did, and my husband also who is having surgery a week from today. I am a nervous wreck.

Good luck to you!

You didn't really give any reasons for why you are starting to lean toward bypass. Is there something specific about bypass that makes you think you will be more successful?

You're right - I didn't specify reasons. Basically it's the fear of failure again. And yes, I know I can fail with anything if I don't follow the rules and use it as a tool. I love sweets so I'm intrigued by the idea of "dumping" as a deterrent. I also fear the sleeve is new so that's why it's being pushed - much like the band was 8 years ago and I bit. I really think overall I'm having risk of failure fears right now knowing I have another opportunity at this again. I had great intentions the first time but alas here I am still obese. I know when it's done it's done and I'll make it work regardless. Just wondering if anyone has thoughts to help me get through this uneasiness.

Thanks for all your support!

You're right - I didn't specify reasons. Basically it's the fear of failure again. And yes, I know I can fail with anything if I don't follow the rules and use it as a tool. I love sweets so I'm intrigued by the idea of "dumping" as a deterrent. I also fear the sleeve is new so that's why it's being pushed - much like the band was 8 years ago and I bit. I really think overall I'm having risk of failure fears right now knowing I have another opportunity at this again. I had great intentions the first time but alas here I am still obese. I know when it's done it's done and I'll make it work regardless. Just wondering if anyone has thoughts to help me get through this uneasiness.

Thanks for all your support!

Your post and story could be mine!

I'd caution against relying on dumping as a 'pro' for bypass. Not everyone experiences dumping. If risk of failure is your number one concern, I'm not convinced one option is better than the other. Both are tools and require you to stick to the guidelines and put in the work to be successful. I would consider the advantages of bypass over sleeve to be potential to lose more quickly (while total loss is about the same ultimately, the malabsorption cause bypass patients to lose faster, which can be good if you have a very high BMI and high risk of immediate health issues related to your weight), the fact that it seems to immediately cure diabetes in most people, and the lower risk of GERD. The trade off for those advantages is rerouting of your intestines, loss of your pyloric valve, higher risk of late stage complications, and permanent malabsorption.

I think the bypass has two main advantages: 1. no GERD. Seriously, if you have it severe now don't get the sleeve; and 2. longer track record

I am 4.5 years post band to sleeve revision and have been successfully maintaining 150# weight loss, with no GERD, but what i said above is true. I am not sure it's true that over the long haul one outperforms the other - the data is not complete on the sleeve and the bypass procedure has changed and evolved over the years.

For the record, it is possible to regain weight post bypass - I have met people who had that happen, but as I said the procedure keeps evolving.

I know I'm going to get yelled at for this...but only my opinion...but if i only had 50lbs to loose i wouldn't have surgery at all

But i woukd definately vote for sleeve over bypass but you really should discuss with your surgeon

For what it is worth my co-worker had the band. Her sister had by-pass. Co-worker has maintained for 7 years on the band but HATES it. She wishes she could sleeve. Her sister is more like 12 years out and has gained a lot of the weight back.

One of the reasons that co-worker would like to convert is that she can't eat Pasta or bread but sister can. HELLO maybe that is why sister is obese again?

I think you can figure out a way to eat around anything. I don't suggest therapy much at all but maybe you can use therapy to figure out why you weren't compliant the first time. Use the therapy to help you be more compliant this time.

I had GERD prior to the sleeve. I was on PPI for 3 months after surgery and no more PPI. However I did have a hiatal hernia fixed. 4 years before the sleeve I had an endoscopy for GERD and did not have a hernia at that time so fixing the hernia was not 100% the cure. I think that losing so much weight helped with the GERD too.

I know many people say don't get the sleeve if you had GERD before WLS but that is not always the case. My surgeon knew that I had GERD and even before he knew I had a hiatal hernia he was not concerned about it being bad afterwards. He did keep me on the PPI for 3 months when normally he puts his patients on for 1 month if they have no history of GERD.

Talk to your surgeon about your concerns. He wants you to succeed.

I know people who have had bypass and and gained the weight back, and people who have been sleeved and gained weight back. So much depends on your commitment to being healthy.

Sophie do you have the band or sleeve? Any I'm curious... Why do you think someone who has 50 lbs to lose should not chose surgery at all? I'm just wondering. :)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I have the sleeve and have lost 150 since being sleeved 7 months ago...still have another 60 I would like to loose.

I personally think that surgery is more for someone who has a lot more weight to loose since it is a drastic permanent thing