Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Digestion/gastrointestinal issues

I am two weeks post op and just beginning to add in some pureed foods. I tried to eat a small amount of scrambled eggs this morning, and did okay with it. I had a headache so I took some liquid Children's Tylenol, bubble gum flavored. It is kind of thick and it just went down yuck. After taking it, I felt sick to my stomach and like it just wasn't sitting well. My whole system felt funky after that. A short time later, maybe 2-3 hours, I drank a Protein drink. 20 minutes later I was in the bathroom. I felt nauseous but did not vomit, but the other end I had no control over. The rest of the day I just felt bad. It is Spring, which in this neck of the woods brings on allergies and sinus issues, and my body is very sensitive to the barometer. Today felt like one of those days. I stayed pretty light with the rest of the day food. Later I had some cream of chicken Soup (1/4 cup) and then a bit after that had another Protein shake. I just had a sugar free Jello cup, and 10 minutes later ended up in the bathroom again. Is this normal? Am I rushing things too fast? Should I just stick to the liquids for a few days?

My plan was to return to work tomorrow. If I feel like this in the morning, I will unfortunately have to stay home. I'm very disappointed. What am I doing wrong?

I'm only 5 days postop but i have had the same issue. I cant be sure but each time it seems linked to either artificial sweetener or drinks with too much real sugar. I have stopped drinking anything with artificial sweetener in it OR high amounts of real sugar. I'm opting for smoothies made with lower sugar real fruits etc and adding plain unflavored Protein, plus more Soups. If you are able to tolerate pill form take that instead. The liquid form will have either tons of artificial or real sugar, as will your Jello cup. :-)

eggs are not pureé. Also, that Tylenol sounds like it has sugar in it. Stay away from children's anything. Our program tells us as you start each stage (pureé, soft foods, reg) only add one new thing each day. That way if you have a bad reaction to something you know what it is. When your tummy gets better try only one thing each day.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

a lot of people (myself included!) have big problems with sugar-free foods because the sugar alcohols and artificial sweeteners are actually toxic. Hope you feel better soon!

I agree to stay away from anything with sugar in it. Yes you can puree your scrambled egg; I did. At two week out I wasn't on pureed still on full liquids; you know the saying just because you can(nut approved) doesn't mean you have too. Listen to your body, if you don't feel like you should go to pureed yet stick to full liquids, Protein shakes, cream soups(strained) and such. I did this and had no issues with any foods I had started to consume.

Cervidae, I also cannot handle the sugar alcohols, so I'm very aware of those in any sugar free products and stay away from them. I knew right after I took that Tylenol that it was wrong. It made me feel horrible!

I did not puree the scrambled eggs; I just made sure to chew them up really really well until they were liquid in my mouth before swallowing. I don't think the eggs had anything to do with how I felt; it was that darn Tylenol. I will not take that again!!

Last night as I went to bed, my stomach began bothering me and I became afraid that I did something to injure my new pouch or intestinal system. I haven't drank anything like Protein today because I am afraid now. Does anyone else get a weird bloated kind of feeling to the left of their mid-section since surgery? I just think I enflamed my insides with the Tylenol and the gastrointestinal issues afterwards.

I am two weeks post op and just beginning to add in some pureed foods. I tried to eat a small amount of scrambled eggs this morning, and did okay with it. I had a headache so I took some liquid Children's Tylenol, bubble gum flavored. It is kind of thick and it just went down yuck. After taking it, I felt sick to my stomach and like it just wasn't sitting well. My whole system felt funky after that. A short time later, maybe 2-3 hours, I drank a Protein drink. 20 minutes later I was in the bathroom. I felt nauseous but did not vomit, but the other end I had no control over. The rest of the day I just felt bad. It is Spring, which in this neck of the woods brings on allergies and sinus issues, and my body is very sensitive to the barometer. Today felt like one of those days. I stayed pretty light with the rest of the day food. Later I had some cream of chicken Soup (1/4 cup) and then a bit after that had another Protein shake. I just had a sugar free Jello cup, and 10 minutes later ended up in the bathroom again. Is this normal? Am I rushing things too fast? Should I just stick to the liquids for a few days?

My plan was to return to work tomorrow. If I feel like this in the morning, I will unfortunately have to stay home. I'm very disappointed. What am I doing wrong?

If allergies trigger of headaches... maybe Rx flonase from M.D.... a few squirts up nose... vs p.o. meds...just suggestions

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using the BariatricPal App

Thanks for the Flonase suggestion. I do have Nasacort at home and will try that next time it happens. I always forget I have it. Same stuff as Flonase.

In the dental/medical field, we tell you anything with sorbitol in it will give you the sorbie- squirts! Lol. Gross but true!

I definitely know all about the "sorbie squirts"! I can't do any sugar alcohol. I get severe abdominal pain, severe intestinal pain, and spend the better part of day or night in the bathroom. It's horrible. I avoid it like the plague!

@ JLWalker- would you share what brand you are using?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App