Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trouble with Depression Meds absorption 2 years out?

Hi All. I'm on Cymbalta and my depression issues are escalating. I'm almost two years out. Anyone have to adjust meds due to absorption issues? I'd appreciate any insight. Thanks.

I have been treated for depression for several years. I have not had any absorption issues but have read that some anti-depression medications need to be adjusted after the person has taken them for awhile. If you think there is an efficacy problem and your depression appears to be more challenging to deal with on your own, call the Doctor. Depression is not something you want to loosen your grip on.

This is very interesting- I was just sleeved on the 20th and before check out, a pharmacist came in and told me that the pristiq I have been taking for 7+ years was not going to be effective any more because it's time released. This is a real issue because it took me almost a year to find a med that worked and did not make me sick. Apparently there is no other form of the med other than time release. I'm still taking it and feel fine... But now reading this has me worried. Anyone else have to have anxiety/depression meds changed?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Don't know anything about Pristiq but I do know from having several members on antidepressants that there can come a time when the one you have been on no longer works for whatever reason. My husband did wonderfully on Prozac for years and then it stopped working all of a sudden. My daughter has been on meds for over 20 yrs and periodically has to make changes or add another med to boost the first. Do talk to your Dr ASAP about this. You have worked too hard for your health to see it slip now.

WLS can affect absorption of nearly every med, add to that hormone dumps from rapid weight loss, and some meds are weight specific. Medicine is an 'art' as well as science. Your body, and your brain is complicated so please give your doc some grace as you work together to get a handle on this. With my ex wife, I kept a journal for her because if she went to see her doc on manic day, then "everything was great" and visa versa. The more hard data you can give your doc, the better. Good link here: http://www.drpritikothari.com/weight-loss-surgery-and-medications/ and take a look on crazymeds.us.

Thanks OKCPirate. I have the info from the link printed out for my appointment later this week with my doctor for med adjustments. I know it's stuff they should know.... But I also am now learning with my health I need to be assertive and take charge. Thank you soooooo much for taking the time to respond. :)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I fell into this discussion backwards, if you will… I was not looking for any problems, been happy as a clam since my gastric bypass last October 2016… However, in the last month or two, I started feeling increased anxiety for no reason at all… I started to recognize the old signs, those overly anxious feelings that I had many, many years ago, before I went on antidepressants. I am on Pristiq (extended release) and have been for 5+ years. When the all-too-familiar feelings arouse out of nowhere, I chalked it up to the mental and physical changes that happen after weight loss surgery, but it just did not feel right. I started researching how medications are absorbed (or not) after gastric bypass and stumbled upon this post. I have contacted my doctor and will post updates. To summarize, I read learned that a non-ER (extended release) medicine may be the answer, but changing from an antidepressant that has always worked for me is scary. There definitely needs to be more research on this topic!

Update: My doctor and I decided to try having me take my meds twice a day. In the same way we are advised to take "one a day" Multivitamins twice a day due to absorption issues, we are thinking I need to do the same with my meds. Hoping this will help, since, in July I had a nervous breakdown and became very suicidal. But life events have also contributed greatly to my situation, so, can't blame it only on med situation.

Good luck all.