Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Five Months Progress with Pics

The last five months has most certainly been a roller coaster. It has felt harrowing at times. I under estimated the profound effect that losing weight would have on me. It is an intense process, staying present with my quickly changing body.

Things, things I have been hiding away under a lot of weight for many years rise to the surface to be processed as my fat cells break open on my body shrinks. Sadness I've held in my belly. Rage I wrapped around my hips. Grief that has laid heavy upon my chest. The peak of mountains in the landscape of my body just starting to show, formally submerged in a sea of fat. Instances of sudden ecstatic joy.

Glitches, and translating what I see in the mirror into what I remember of myself. The delay in processing real time changes in my body.

Yesterday, my family came to visit me. I hadn't seen some of them in a couple of months. They went on anon over hours of time and how astonish they were at my weight loss. They insisted on photographing me. And when I looked at the picture, that was the first time I actually saw that my body is starting to look like now. So I wanted to share.

post-260601-14615060000206_thumb.jpg

Just look at that smile in your "during"!

You look amazing. Going through the posts or pre/post op there r so many varied experiences. I am scheduled 5/17 for the sleeve and I am still not 100% about my decision. To top it off, my best friend has lost 35 lbs doing a meal supplement diet and exercise regimen these past 6 months. She looks awesome and I feel rotten because I am opting to have the surgery instead. I feel like I am letting myself down for not being able to do this like she has. Finding this forum is my way of trying to make that final decision of going through with the survey. Any regrets? Words of advice from anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@N1NA. Unfortunately, it's likely your friend will just gain the weight back once she starts eating normal food. How much do you have to lose? The likelihood of obese people losing and maintaining on their own is about 5% (from what I've read). Surgery is NOT the easy way out - your struggle will be just as difficult. The sleeve is just a tool to help.

@@KristenLe Thanks for taking the time to respond. I am currently 214 @ 4'11 feet tall. I am looking to reach 150 pounds as I think I would feel too fragile if I were any lighter. I have explained to her that this is not the easy road for me but I must admit I have been as dedicated to losing the weight as she has, exercise, Protein meal supplements two daily with Snacks in between. I have don't the Protein Meal Replacement for Breakfast for the past 3 months but that is as far as I have committed. Did karate for 6 months straight 3x per week and lost a couple of lbs and inches but not enough. I too read about the 5% 'ters and hope she can maintain it. I guess I just have to be comfortable in my actions or lack there of and choices. Have you had your surgery yet? Did u scar badly or know of any anti or diminishing scat treatment?

I haven't had surgery yet but had laprascopic surgery to remove gallbladder and only have a scar at one incision (which was large to get gall bladder out). You probably won't have much scarring. You'll have to work hard but the surgery will help. I wish I had done it sooner.

The only thing i can say is that you're not your friend. Everyone is different and what works for one person may not work for the other. I've been on sooooo many diets and regimens...i worked out etc...but as soon as i stopped the diet or regimen and went back to eating normal...bam i gained it back. I didn't want to live this way forever i wanted to have some liberty even at a small portion. So i got this surgery. I like to eat healthy but i know what when i am able to eat regular food, I will be able to but at a small portion instead of binging then feeling like poop...

@@KristenLe Thanks for taking the time to respond. I am currently 214 @ 4'11 feet tall. I am looking to reach 150 pounds as I think I would feel too fragile if I were any lighter. I have explained to her that this is not the easy road for me but I must admit I have been as dedicated to losing the weight as she has, exercise, Protein meal supplements two daily with Snacks in between. I have don't the Protein Meal Replacement for Breakfast for the past 3 months but that is as far as I have committed. Did karate for 6 months straight 3x per week and lost a couple of lbs and inches but not enough. I too read about the 5% 'ters and hope she can maintain it. I guess I just have to be comfortable in my actions or lack there of and choices. Have you had your surgery yet? Did u scar badly or know of any anti or diminishing scat treatment?

I had the surgery im 10 days post op and my insicions are still visible but each one is a thin line so most likely it wont look horrible...I would dare say they will go unnoticiable (wrong spell lol). Ive had small insicions before from previous surgerys and I didn't even see them after a while. Cocoa Butter is always a good thing to use for marks if you need. There's also many products out there to help with scarring etc. but dont be alarmed it wont be bad.

post-290791-1462107546984_thumb.jpg what u see as marks its because i still have glue on it but if u see clearly it will be almost invisible once its all gone... ;) hope this helps

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

You look amazing. Going through the posts or pre/post op there r so many varied experiences. I am scheduled 5/17 for the sleeve and I am still not 100% about my decision. To top it off, my best friend has lost 35 lbs doing a meal supplement diet and exercise regimen these past 6 months. She looks awesome and I feel rotten because I am opting to have the surgery instead. I feel like I am letting myself down for not being able to do this like she has. Finding this forum is my way of trying to make that final decision of going through with the survey. Any regrets? Words of advice from anyone?

We live in a culture of hidden shame. Having weight-loss surgery is nothing to be ashamed of. Being fat is nothing to be ashamed of. Like your friend, and like many people on this website, I dieted many many times, and I was successful many times. But not permanently successful, and so I decided to make a permanent alteration to my physical anatomy that would help me not only lose the weight, but keep it off. I wish I did this a lot of years ago. I am amazed at how effective the surgery is. But it is a sacrifice. I think most people on this website would tell you that it was worth it to them. But it is a commitment. It cannot be undone. But don't let the shame from our culture stop you, if in your inner self you know that this is the right thing for you.

Edited by JupiterinVirgo