Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Much slower weight loss when revision from lapband to bypass

I have suffered with the lapband for years finally had a revision to bypass in December 28 2015,

Down about 40 pounds...yes I have PCOS but wow.I thought I would be down more than 40 pounds by now....a slowwwww....loser!

It's about 10 lbs a month, I think it's awesome! If I lose this way I will be more than happy. You are doing great job, keep on up! How much more do you want to lose?

I am starting liquid diet on 28th, can believe how fast time is going by..

Found out today I have gallstones so might be getting my gallbladder removed at the revision time. Hopefully.

Thanks...the gallbladder definitely needs to go...mine was really bad a few years ago....

Man, I feel your pain! I also have PCOS and lost soooo slooowww in the beginning. I think I lost basically what you did! then by month 4, I picked up to about 20 pounds a month, sometimes a little over. I have never in all these months come close to losing 30 pounds in one month. And yet... 8 months and two days post op and I've lost 141 since surgery, averaging 17 pounds a month. It ain't over till it's over! And it really does all add up and even out in the end. Don't get discouraged and bogged down by the negative, it's bad for your health. ;)

Seriously though. Don't even worry about it. You have no idea what's around the corner, and in a year you'll think you were being silly about this. I know I definitely do! :)

Edited by Cervidae

Thanks...it's very difficult but I am staying positive.

Your not alone I had my surgery on 12 18 and only lost 45 pounds to date myself! The dietician said I should have lost a bigger percentage of weight! I was speechless! Losing slow and at a turtles pace but in reality it's more than I have ever done on my own in such a short while

I know but I see people losing 80 and 90 pounds in less than 6 months...I imagined I would be losing at a bit of a faster rate but...it's nice to be losing at least...

We are in the same boat!!! The only thing I know is that we are losing weight even if it's slow. Can you eat everything? I have no problem with anything. It's kind of unfortunate but it is what it is! I do enjoy more healthy foods now. bread is a once a month of that splurge! Keep up the good work and it will show at the end!!!!

We will get to the 80 and or 90 just slowly!!!

@@Pinkgirl1234Are you talking about people with revision losing this much?

No...not necessarily...First time bypassers and some revisions....

We are in the same boat!!! The only thing I know is that we are losing weight even if it's slow. Can you eat everything? I have no problem with anything. It's kind of unfortunate but it is what it is! I do enjoy more healthy foods now. bread is a once a month of that splurge! Keep up the good work and it will show at the end!!!! We will get to the 80 and or 90 just slowly!!!

Yes...losing is so much better than picking up around or 2 every few weeks....and I don't miss any of the torture of the band.I can eat anything but I have been real strict...no breads,no starches,no rice or potatoes,pastas etc.I only have organic steel cut oatmeal in the morning.Otherwise,protein and vegetables.About once a month I may have a serving of Beans or lentil soup....I have started incorporating nuts but this is no easy task....very disciplined....actually my struggle is with water...

Slow

Loss

But glad to be losing!

I too also had the lapband to gastric bypass revision surgery. My surgery was 8 days ago. Yet I still crave for normal food sometimes. Do you also crave food sometimes? I have lost about 10 pounds since the surgery. But my weight has stalled for two days. I was expecting my weight to drop at a faster rate.

I too also had the lapband to gastric bypass revision surgery. My surgery was 8 days ago. Yet I still crave for normal food sometimes. Do you also crave food sometimes? I have lost about 10 pounds since the surgery. But my weight has stalled for two days. I was expecting my weight to drop at a faster rate.

I haven't had my revision yet, but I would expect the cravings to still be there after surgery, as I have heard many patients say that "they operated on my stomach not brain", brain still wants to do what it had been doing, that's why we have to change our way of looking at food/ relationship with food and learn to make different choices for life so we don't fall back in those bad habits and end up regaining the weight. I know it's easier said than done and i know it's a battle we have to fight all our life.

How are you feeling overall? Have you lost anything with the pre op diet? I think 10 lbs being 8 days out is still great!

I haven't had my revision yet, but I would expect the cravings to still be there after surgery, as I have heard many patients say that "they operated on my stomach not brain", brain still wants to do what it had been doing, that's why we have to change our way of looking at food/ relationship with food and learn to make different choices for life so we don't fall back in those bad habits and end up regaining the weight. I know it's easier said than done and i know it's a battle we have to fight all our life.

How are you feeling overall? Have you lost anything with the pre op diet? I think 10 lbs being 8 days out is still great!

Overall I feel okay. Just incision area became red and really itching. My pre op diet lost about 9 pounds

@@Pinkgirl1234

You are doing fantastic! It took me 18 months to lose 147lbs. There were some months in the very beginning where I lost about 20 but there were many many months where I lost less than 10 lbs. in fact I had a couple of months where I lost less than 5.

I did not have a revision went straight for bypass. I think the great thing about losing it a bit slower is that you really are forced to be very diligent about your diet which builds very good longer term habits. At least that is what I have told myself.

My husband and children point how my choice of food has changed for the better. My youngest son who is very fit has even learned some great habits from me. He worked hard at staying fit before but has learned better nutrition from me. Who would have thought I could teach good nutrition? I was 310lbs and malnourished!

I think the slower you lose, the more you are forced to focus on your behaviors. Now I am just hoping to learn to maintain. I have not figured out my sweet spot yet.

Best of luck to you but you really are doing fantastic!