Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Regretting the sleeve so much and afraid I will die or have serious problems down the road

Hi there. I am 38 and was sleeved in November 2015. I regretted my decision every second of every day for the first 4 weeks solid. I was miserable and sick and in a ton of pain. Week 5 was a turning point for me. I started to feel better... more normal. It was then that I really started to understand and appreciate this second chance. I am now 5 months out and down over 70 lbs. I am shopping in normal clothing sections. Today I actually went for a jog. Deep breathes girl. You got this. We are here for you. Everything will work out. Trust me. Hugs.

Sent from my SM-G930P using the BariatricPal App

Edited by HopeandAgony

http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.com/2008/04/more-on-actual-gastric-bypass-death.html?m=1 this has terrified me into a full blown panic attack.. Especially cuz i can barely eat right now

What do u think

Sent from my LGLS665 using the BariatricPal App

This is a blog. It's complete crap. You really need to stay off the internet if you're going to fall for stuff like this. STOP.

Do you have any calming techniques you use for anxiety? If you do, you need to start to use the and stop trolling the internet for clickbait hogwash like this. NOW.

You need to relax and quit reading articles on the Internet. Follow your surgeons instructions, rest and heal. Believe me this time period will end. As your stomach heals you will be able to eat more. I am 3 months out now and things are going great. Aside from your surgeon maybe you should talk to the Dr that did your Pysch evaluation. They will be able to help you through this... But please stop reading internet articles...

http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.com/2008/04/more-on-actual-gastric-bypass-death.html?m=1 this has terrified me into a full blown panic attack.. Especially cuz i can barely eat right now

What do u think

I think you need to stop googling stuff. Seriously. I could go out there and put up all manner of scare tactics and inflated ridiculous stories about why this or that is super scary dangerous and you are going to regret doing X, Y or Z. But you know what? It's all crap unless you know the site is reputable.

That site is a Blogspot. You do get that means it's some joe schmoe that has no accreditation or even paid for their site (it's a Blogger site - ANYONE can make an "official" looking site on there!) And you're throwing yourself into a panic because they found a nearly 10 year old study that has been discredited already and was lacking randomized trials and included all deaths of patients - including the ones that died from suicide, drug overdoses and other obesity related events that were set in motion before they had WLS. In other words, the study sited is flawed.

And did you read the invited critique of that study the website sited? It says not only was the study not done to look at bariatric surgery in real randomized trials but found... "Collectively these data suggest that the operations are not dangerous and that it may be a greater hazard to not induce weight loss for morbidly obese patients with concomitant medical complications"

http://archsurg.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=400686

Please call your doctor first thing Monday morning and ask for help. You need counseling STAT, and get in and see the doctor and tell them you are in a state of panic and need to get answers to help calm you down.

It is going to be okay, really. You did something good for your health. It will work out in the end. But you have to stop focusing on bad things and panicking yourself. Stop looking on the web for stuff - you're only going to make yourself feel worse. Get real help from your doctor and from a therapist that you can speak with face to face. It will make a difference.

Edited by FrankiesGirl

That study was from 1994 to 2004. The medical field has come a long way since then. Some of us older folks can tell you but they have found crap wrong with meat. There is crap wrong with vegetables. There is crap wrong with plastic and deodorant. One minute they tell you to take Vitamins, then a month later they tell you you get enough from what you eat and if you add to it you'll kill yourself. Unfortunately tomorrow is not guaranteed for anyone.

Being at 320, I personally feel you are giving yourself a better chance at living since having the surgery. You will eat again. Trust me. I am and I just had my surgery on March 23rd. So . What do I think? I think you need to get off the internet. I don't mean to sound so rude, but if you read all the findings on everything in life.....your surgery would be the least of your worries.

Shaking my head.

To the OP -- you can be miserable for no good reason or you can act like an adult. And yes, I know you're *only* 22 years old. You're still an adult.

None of that drama llama crap you're wallowing in is going to happen.

Just follow your surgeon's instructions.

Jeez.

AND if I might add you said your hair is coming out in clumps. I'm sorry, but at 2 weeks out it is NOT caused by the surgery, not this soon. My guess is it's the undue stress you are causing yourself. Google stress. You will find it will do a number on your body, as well as causing death.

I know i need serious help. This isnt the place for me to write all this. Im so sorry everyone but thank you for all your help and support anyway. I now realize food was a way to mask my serious anxiety and depression when i should of got help

I know i need serious help. This isnt the place for me to write all this. Im so sorry everyone but thank you for all your help and support anyway. I now realize food was a way to mask my serious anxiety and depression when i should of got help

The good thing is that you can get help. This is such a great time for you to build a support team to help you learn skills, gain knowledge about yourself, practice new behaviors, create new habits --- all so you can have an awesome life!

Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

In the meantime, just keep following your program and make sure you are getting in all of your Protein and fluids.

I'm 4 weeks out from surgery and not feeling so down about it all now. Starting to eat solids again yay!

The reality is that being obese ages us and we can die from so many obese related things, that we are only going to help ourselves by having this surgery. Isn't it true you can survive in the outback with no food for however many days, maybe even weeks, as long as you have Water. If the surgery was that risky it would be banned. I have MS, and my MS meds were pulled because 2 people died from it, so you can guess they must be pretty strict. Look at the positives, I went through my underwear drawer today and threw out all my old underwear that's too big now!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Stop reading negatives..,If you had WLS to begin with it means you are morbidly obese.The sleeve is a great "tool" to lose weight and that's why I assume you opted for the procedure.You are talking about Gherelin I assume.

The biggest worry is not losing the weight and taking care of your health while you are young.I had bypass and my hair is thinning as well but at least I am not gaining weight....I am taking my Vitamins and feeling better...trying to stay positive..,that's why we are all here to help you.We are all going through something....

You will be able to have kids and all the good things...your future is ahead of you!

I am young as well, just one year older than you. I know it just straight up sucks at first: pain, liquid food that tastes like sh!t, etc.

I had regrets as well, but now I am already half through my weight goal in only 7 weeks.

Also you should follow the golden rule of the Internet: don't believe everything that is written on the internet. I got myself all worked up one week before surgery due to some stupid articles, but a rapid look at their sources (if they had any) quickly proved it was all based on ... nothing.

Just keep in mind that being obese is not healthy at all, and might as well have ruined your youth. I mean, I am 23 years old and was already having sleep apneas and backpain, things that should not happen at such a young age... Plus ablation of the stomach has been used in various situations to treat cancer for example. If you are afraid of growing older faster, drink more green tea and have a tiny piece of 70% black chocolate from time to time :P But I don't think it will happen since your article is nothing but a pile of dung.

one-big-pile-random-32625449-500-272.jpg

Let yourself the time to heal and feel better, go to a support group and embrace the change. Enjoy your loss weight because it sure made me a lot happier :) Cheers!

@@KittyCathy22

First off, everyone on here has great advice and insight into any trouble or issues that are going on with you so know that you have found the right place to get you through the darkness.

2nd I will tell you that I was EXACTLY where you are now. The first 2 weeks of my journey after surgery were complete HELL. I cried every single day. I mean that, it was EVERY SINGLE DAY. I would sob and sob and completely regret my decision. I would call my husband at work and cry to him. He would try to take all of the calls that he could but every now and again he couldn't because he had a job to keep. So I turned all of my time and attention here to these wonderful people that have been down this path before me and have so much experience to offer.

So what I would like you to do is make an appointment with a therapist - I see that you were talking about doing it already. Please make sure you follow through with it. You have a lot going on inside your head and need someone to help you process it. Just know that I suffer from extreme depression and anxiety as well so I can somewhat relate to the mess up stuff that is going through your head.

I will also suggest that you DO NOT read any of the complication stories of VSG. They will make your head spin. Every single hiccup will send you into a tail spin of possible complications. You need to read only the success stories and know that everyone is a little different in how they heal and how they cope. Losing the majority of your stomach is sometimes hard to cope with. It's like losing your best friend. The one that has been there with you through everything. It can be so depressing at first, this will pass. I promise it will pass.

Now let's look at what's next. Let's look at the possibilities of what you have done. You must have gone through some sort of program. So you met with doctors and made a conscious decision to have surgery. At one point in your life not too far ago you thought that this was a good idea. Try to remember why that is. Remember why you felt that surgery was your best option. It will help you remember why you made this decision and maybe not regret it so much. I know that at first the program can be a bit hard. The first month is really difficult until you start eating again. But once you do start eating again you are going to feel wonderful. The weight is going to fall off of you so quickly that you aren't going to be able to buy clothes fast enough to fit you. Your self-confidence is going to blossom and you are going to remember who you are an how strong and beautiful you are and you are going to feel that you 100% made the right decision. You will get there. I know you will. It just takes time an patience and getting through the hard part first.

Be patient with yourself.