Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

local tragedy has the single women in a panic

I have a relative that has a very checkered past - so I used her as a sample. Could not find evidence of her misdeeds... OR her marriage to the Nigerian prince (I could not make that up)

I have a relative that has a very checkered past - so I used her as a sample. Could not find evidence of her misdeeds... OR her marriage to the Nigerian prince (I could not make that up)

People who are up to I good are usually pretty good at hiding it.

I had a paid subscription to a service. It claimed to give current addresses, phone numbers, along with criminal background. It was somewhat useful. However, I checked myself and the information wasn't very current, especially phone numbers.

no one here seems to be claiming that one should no longer date online, which i thought might be the conversation...i had more than a few people worried about me when i was online dating my now husband and baby daddy. and i agree that it isn't at all comforting to know that one is more likely harmed by one he or she knows, but that fact can help people see a bit of perspective...that one medium isn't necessarily better or worse than the other, and caution, common sense, and that gut feeling is always important. people tend to get blinded into all-or-nothing thinking when a tragedy occurs...and this one is truly heartbreaking...i have a small child myself. i know it's instinctive but it can cause us to overreact and see danger at every corner...this is also no way to live. everything must be in balance.

People who are up to I good are usually pretty good at hiding it.
lol i have to admit that i love that it's hard to find personal info about myself online...not impossible, though, but a quick search doesn't show much.

Very disturbing event.

Sad that her children are victims as well.

The killer should be tortured brutally over a long span of time prior to being put to death.

this truly is terrible and i like Dub feel horrible that her children will have to live with out their mother and the knowledge of how she died. I did see that on the news last night.... geezzz What would possess a person to do such a thing.

Background checks... this is where having friends on the force comes in handy. If you have a cop friend... ask them to do a quick peek.. Those sites on line claim to know... but they don't know everything. And like some one else said.. most people that are wrong doers... know how to hide it.

I would say that until you really know the person and they have met your friends and family.... Let them know.... Hey Mom/sister/dad/friend.... tonight im going out with... XXX smith his cell number is XXX-XXX-XXXX... He drives a XXXX car/truck... Lic #.....We are going to XXX. I should be home or check in by 11pm. if you don't hear from me... call me.. if i don't answer... call the police. I know it's over kill, but in this day, you have to protect yourself and your dependents.

I would also tell that person.... Look, it's not that i don't trust you, but i have responsibilities. And because of this i have let my friends and family know all the above information.

He will either be impressed that you have protected yourself so well.... or leave. If he was up to no good... he will prob leave....

@bayougirlmrsc In the past I would send name and cell and location and timeframe to a friend and do the whole "check in" thing on first dates, but honestly, I have never done that with someone that I have been seeing for weeks like the situation that happened - although, in this case her people KNEW she was going to the Mariners with this guy and it didn't keep her alive. A background check wouldn't have done much either because his criminal record was not bad enough to make you think he was a murderer. I guess we accept a certain level of risk just leaving the house everyday...

Lol. I'm all over the internet. Another reason I'm on the WLS down-low.

I've seen enough Investigation Discovery shows to know that even when everyone KNOWS someone is still no good, they still seem to be able to have no trouble finding romantic partners.

I was similar to @bayougirlmrsc. Back in the day when I was dating I was super cautious. I would not only tell friends the login for the handle of the person that I was going out with, I would leave a message on my own voicemail at home with all their information. I would tell my sister when I met them, where they allegedly worked, what kind of car they drove, anything like that, just in case. I Never let anybody know where I lived and I would block my number when I called them on the phone. we would meet in public places for several dates. Sometimes people disregard their intuition, because he seems like it's such a nice guy or he is so cute. I usually go on up to three dates To decide to continue or not.

One of the creepiest persons I Ever met was not online, but it was someone I met at a dance club. He was funny and a great dancer. When we met for a first date it was fun but he said something minor that rang an slight alarm bell. We talked on the phone for a week or two after that. The second time we met he was disappointed that I didn't let him pick me up. I told him I hope he understood me being cautious and being a single lady. Phone for another week or so. During those calls though there were some contradictions and some possible red flags. The Third date I walked in and he said something like, was I surprised he wasn't wearing a ski mask. I told him we we weren't on the same wavelength and I got up and left.

I got several hangup calls for about two or three weeks after that and all I could think of was thank God she did not know where I lived or anything about me really.

This was probably 14 years ago and to think of the complexity of social media and online dating and how people can make up anything other than their "real" selves, it's kind of scary. Glad I've been married for the last 13 years and don't have to think about that now.

The tragedy of the story is her children that are left behind and who will have to deal with the horrific story of how she died for the rest of their lives. Thank goodness their father is in their lives.

Edited by ExcitedAt55

Ted Bundy was a good looking man and look at what he did here in Florida. He was even trolling through the area right by the junior high I went to in 1976/78 looking for girls to pick-up.

Perverts/killers are everywhere unfortunately, just in the shadows until they are caught unfortunately.

John Robert Charlton is my brother in laws cousin. I cant believe what he put that woman and her family through.

ETA: Just got off the phone with my sister. My sister, her husband and her mother in law have all received death threats and other threats on Facebook since last night. This is absolutely freaking insane. Why are people compelled to do this? Like this isnt bad enough already, lets just attack ANYONE with the same last name!

Edited by Bethany Copley

Creepers are everyplace..... I run into them all over...

@@Bethany Copley

So sorry for the pain the psychopath is causing for his whole family.

And yes, people are indeed cray cray in multiple ways. Those sending the killer's family death threats are awful. I do hope they're reporting every threat to law enforcement.

Sending hopes for peace to you all.