Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am less than a week away from having my band and going through my liquid diet I'm feeling so tired and stressed. I'm starting to worry that there will be so little that I can eat once this is done. I know moderation and that every person is different. So, what are some things I need to know that I will and will not be able to have?

I know it's just nerves and the strange way I feel right now on just shakes. Please advise. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

You are experiencing the pre surgery doubts. I almost jumped off the gurney in pre-op area I was so scared. However, 3 years later I am healthier and happier than I have been in years. You will not really be concerned with food at first, your brain tells you that you want the food but your system won't let you eat it. As time goes on you will learn what you can and can't eat. I can eat most foods except, really dry meats like white meat chicken, I eat dark meat it's juicier. I also cannot eat white rice but it's a good trade off for being completely diabetes free and no cholesterol problems or high blood pressure meds. your main concern will be learning to eat small portions and slowly, If you need to get a sedative or something to calm your nerves before surgery ask your Dr. depending on what type of surgery you have recovery is relatively easy, follow all the instructions they give you and for the first few weeks, get lots of rest and stay hydrated. Best of Luck .

So, what are some things I need to know that I will and will not be able to have?

Sorry, but there's no reliable answer to the question. Lots of people say they can't eat salad greens, cooked broccoli and a host of other vegetables. Many say they get stuck with white-meat chicken unless it's in a sauce. Many others say they have trouble with any number of things. On and on it goes. None of their reports mean that you will have the same experiences. Nothing that I may say means that you won't have trouble with some things on and off.

The only rule about the band is that it's a fickle bitchh. (I have to think of a new description. The one I got from my forebears always bugged me.) You'll find out what works for you as you go along. Don't be discouraged. There are loads of foods to choose from.

You had the same sort of thoughts you are having

It's weird. They go away. You think you're going to miss eating, or certain foods... Definitely not the case with me.

Funny. Today I was thinking about the last time I had a bagel. Two years? But what did I get from it

Meanwhile, yesterday I went to my endocrinologist. For the last time! No more diabetes. No more high blood pressure.

It's totally worth it and life changing!

Thx , everyone. I have a close friend who has given some guidance. He says the same and is still able to eat all kinds of foods. My wife and I had a really good talk last night and I'm feeling a lot better. 6 more days until my procedure and I am excited to get this done. The health benefits are so worth it.

You will look back on this and be soooo happy you went through with it. I felt just like you did....terrified and full of doubt. I'm three years banded now and have gotten my life back. Truly. I was heading towards living my life in a wheelchair because I had such terrible joint pain. This past summer, I rode a bike through all the Royal Parks when I went to London on vacation. Yup...I'll say it again...I GOT MY LIFE BACK!!

Good luck. You will do great.

PS: sometimes pictures are worth a thousand words. This is me before WLS and after.

post-142630-0-41244800-1460038901_thumb.jpg post-142630-0-02642900-1460038955_thumb.jpg

One of my biggest fears prior to having surgery was that I was going to miss food. food has been a source of comfort and pleasure for me my whole life and I was scared that would be taken away and I would be left feeling empty and not knowing how to deal with it.

It wasn't until after I had surgery that I realized how much my appetite tortured me. All I thought about was food. When I could get more, what kind I would get, how much I could eat in one sitting, making sure I had more for later... I was always hungry and that's a very bothersome feeling.

Now I'm satisfied with eating so much less, and I think about it less, and I find OTHER things bring me even MORE happiness, comfort, and pleasure than food. I enjoy life more without this vice following me everywhere. The weight is dropping off me without the pain and suffering I normally endured through dieting alone.

I do have moments where I get a little disappointed that I can't eat more because it tastes so good and sometimes I just want that distended feeling of a very full tummy (normally when I'm experiencing a lot of stress) but it wasn't like before when I *literally* couldn't stop even if I told myself to. I just stop organically and put the rest away for later.

It is scary but I don't know many people who regret having the surgery. Most people say their biggest regret is not doing it sooner :) Good luck!

I agree with what everyone has said here. I remember three days before my surgery, I was so weary of the boring shakes I had to drink and was craving a burger... I never thought of throwing in the towel, but I, like you, was very worried. What if this meant the end of dinners out? The end of enjoying food? What then? WHAT THE HECK WAS I ABOUT TO DO TO MYSELF??!

All my worries were for nothing.

15 months in, I am 75 pounds down. My knee and back issues have evaporated. I have dropped 12 dress sizes (from a 22 to a 12). I feel gorgeous. My husband tells me I look gorgeous and he;s going to have to go shopping for a new wife who doesn't make him look so bad. (LOL!)

I can still chug Water ( a love of mine!) I can still eat gorgeous food and enjoy it with all my heart. I just eat LESS of it. I still enjoy wine (sometimes more than I should) and I still love going out for meals with friends.

Life with food has not ended - it's just entered a new chapter!

I have not had McDonald's in 2 years. My band has taught what foods are no-goes for me. Anything sloppy, (nachos) gloppy or spongy is completely out. On my no-can-eat food list is Bagels, french bread (goes to a thick paste when chewed), pizza, Pasta, dry chicken/ribs.

Funny, but all the foods listed above were what made me obese in the first place...!

Do I miss them? Believe it or not, I do NOT miss them. Do I sometimes dream of a gorgeous bowl of seafood Pasta with lobster and scallops? Sure. But there are other ways to get my love of food and beautiful tastes satisfied.

I eat low carb and high Protein. My band has taught me well ... and the changes that I've adopted include no white foods (potato, rice, bread, rice, starches), no pasta, no sugar.

What I can eat:

Prime rib, pork, ribs, lamb, roasted vegetables, stirfries, seafood, fish, eggs, yoghurt, hard cheese, raw veggies, salads, dips (low cal!) and my favourite ethnic foods (Indian - shorwedaar ghost! Mediterranean - dolmas!) I can eat beautifully and enjoy every morsel.

I just eat LESS.

I no longer find myself obsessing about food, what or when I'm going to eat next. The HUNGER MONSTER is gone. So is 75 pounds of ridiculously unnecessary body weight.

GO FOR IT! Your band will teach you, too! Cheering you on over here!

@needtorecover... Thanks, indeed that is where I am. So many time I would eat a ton because of stress or bored and absolutely knew it wasn't the right thing. 5 days until banding and I am so excited and nervous. I appreciate the words.

@TheProfessor... Breads of all kinds, Pasta, pizza, noodles, rice are absolutely my love! Having that great big mouthful is something I've grown to think is satisfying or a comfort. But, not wearing certain clothes, hurting when I walk let alone when I exercise, not sleeping well even with a CPAP is not satisfying at all. We have 6 kids ranging from 22-12 and sports are a major part of our life. I want to be active and play with them and the grandkids that will come along.

Thank you for your support and congrats on your achievements. Knowing that I'm worrying so much about something that should be such a little part of who I am or my life makes me realize how dependent I've become. No longer will I be the slave to those thoughts and worries about where, when, and how much food I will get. Thanks again and good luck to your future success!

This is an amazing post thread, I'm so glad that I came across it! I was banded July 12th, 2016. I'm still in the post op eating. Looking forward to moving ahead with everyone's positive accounts in mind.