Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Could use a little encouragement.

I try not to be such a negative person so I am really sorry for this. Especially being my first post, but I had my surgery on 3/23. For the most part, I feel good....meaning I'm not in pain, but today is horrible. I guess everything is just finally hitting me, and I'm an emotional mess. Since the surgery, I've had no energy, I don't feel like having anything more than Water, and I just seem to be getting more and more depressed. I am single and only work 3 days a week, so I'm sure my solitude isn't helping, but please tell me it gets better.

It gets better! I promise! But you HAVE to make sure you get your Protein and fluids or things get worse. The first few weeks can be tough for many (they were for me!). Week 3, for some strange reason, was very tough. Hang in there. You have been through a lot and you will turn a corner soon!!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using the BariatricPal App

It gets better.

You just had major surgery, your hormones are in flux, you are probably dehydrated, and you are alone. It is perfectly understandable that you aren't feeling 100%.

Be gentle with yourself.

Can you walk much? How is the weather? If you are able, take a walk outside.

Focus on getting in all of your Protein and fluids. The sooner you can get there, the better you will feel.

Do you have a friend or family member you can reach out to? Many of us want to help but don't really know what you need until asked. It is ok to ask for help, even if it is just someone to talk to or a shoulder to cry on.

We are here to help.

@@Andrea72 - I am in NE Florida, the weather has been great - get outside, walk, garden, enjoy your new journey you are starting.

Find a support group from the hospital where you had surgery.

Are you on BP meds? My BP dropped significantly after about 25 lbs, made me very tired. Staying hydrated (esp here in FL) is a must for WLS patients.

keep posting - we are here.

These emotions are 100% normal. It is VERY VERY common to experience this sort of "buyer's remorse" in the early days/weeks. There are a couple of things going on here. You are tired, you are uncomfortable, your head hunger is likely making you crazy, and you are rapidly losing fat, which releases stored hormones back into your blood stream. Your energy will improve as you heal and are able to eat more and get more calories in. The pain/discomfort from the surgery should really be easing up by now. You'll eventually get a handle on the head hunger. And once your weight loss slows to a more normal, gradual rate, the hormone flush should let up as well. Just hang in there!

I concur with everyone else... The first month is the hardest, it will get so much better!! I was a complete mess the first month or so because of the hormone imbalance. After about a month or two it regulated and I started to feel amazing! You just have to get through these few weeks and life will get so much better.

Like you I didn't want to eat or drink anything. For me I didn't even want Water, it was so depressing to even try to get the Water in. You HAVE TO get your Protein in and your water in. Even if it's just in Protein drinks. It sucks, it's the worst, but it's not forever. I am 7 months out and eat normally now (well the new normal) and water is just 2nd nature to me. You will get there but please please keep up on your water and nutrition.

We are here for you... you aren't being negative, you are feeling your feelings and it's ok to do that.

Thank you to all!! The weather on the Gulf Coast has been back and forth with thunderstorms lately, but I do get out whenever I can. Unfortunately, I do not live close enough for a support group. I had my surgery in Tallahassee and its roughly 3 hours away. And even more sad...I have family close by, but I can not depend on them for anything. At 44, you'd think I'd get used to it, but it still hurts. I was so looking forward to soft foods, and now that I'm here, I don't want a thing. Funny how I've gone from starving my entire life, to not even wanting to think of food. And to top it off, I'm too scared to get on the scale. My follow up is tomorrow so I'll have no choice but to see if I'm loosing or not. Fingers crossed. Thank you all for responding. I just really needed to know better days lie ahead. After hearing others feeling so fantastic after a short time out, I couldn't help but think what was wrong with me?

@@Andrea72 - I am sure there is support meetings in the area. I live near Jacksonville and they have meetings in pretty much all of the surrounding counties - maybe check online? Check doctors who perform bariatric surgery in your area and call their offices and see if the staff can give you some ideas. Your f/u is tomorrow so ask then :D Your feelings are pretty normal at this point. Stay off the scale but stay on your doctors program and you will be fine.

come here and check in :D

@@Andrea72

I felt that way too at first. I would read that people were feeling amazing on day 3 post op and I couldn't figure out why I would spend most of my days crying my eyes out!

Hang in there... it will get better. There is a light at the end of the tunnel... that is what I needed to hear when I was in your shoes. I think it would be good for you to step on the scale. I know you don't want to but it might just be the ticket to start you feeling better.

Good luck at your post op tomorrow. I would certainly mention these feelings to your doctor. I talked to my nurse every day for about 3 weeks post op. She was my best friend for a while and talked me off of a bridge a few times :)

Keep us posted, we are here for you!

Find a support group from the hospital where you had surgery.

Note to everyone: If your own hospital is far away or doesn't have a support group, fear not. Check the websites of bariatric depts. at nearby hospitals for their schedules. I've heard of only one pissy/anal bariatric practice somewhere in Podunkville that didn't welcome patients from other practices. If it will help, go to as many different meetings as you can find.

And to top it off, I'm too scared to get on the scale. My follow up is tomorrow so I'll have no choice but to see if I'm loosing or not.

The good news is that you don't have to weigh yourself today. You're still healing and that should be your focus. Certainly work on getting in the nutrition, but don't fret about losing now. You're fine...just work on nutrition intake. Maybe the RD has some tips. Maybe others in the waiting room will have some techniques they devised. Hey, get the help wherever you find it.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

​@@Andrea72, I agree with @@kranky813 make sure to mention the depression to your surgeon tomorrow at your appointment. The one thing that helped me at my follow ups was to bring a list of questions to ask as well. I get so nervous at those appointments I forget what I was going to ask. It does get better, at 3 weeks I cried for no apparent reason. I did get out and walked in nature as soon as I could....that helped so much. Work real hard at getting in your Protein, Water and Vitamins. I made the mistake of starting the Vitamin B12 late, once I started on that like I should have, my depression lifted a little. Hang in there and keep coming back to this forum, I wish you well.

​@@Andrea72, I agree with @@kranky813 make sure to mention the depression to your surgeon tomorrow at your appointment. The one thing that helped me at my follow ups was to bring a list of questions to ask as well. I get so nervous at those appointments I forget what I was going to ask. It does get better, at 3 weeks I cried for no apparent reason. I did get out and walked in nature as soon as I could....that helped so much. Work real hard at getting in your Protein, Water and Vitamins. I made the mistake of starting the Vitamin B12 late, once I started on that like I should have, my depression lifted a little. Hang in there and keep coming back to this forum, I wish you well.

Oh yeah! B12 is a great point. Make sure you are taking it now. That can help some with the fatigue as well.

@@jane13 there is only one dr in this area and their support group is only open to his patients. The next area is either Mobile, Al and that is still 2 hours away. I've definitely looked into all of that prior to surgery but thanks for the advice.

Wow, I'm amazed at the responses from everyone. I was on another forum and I'd maybe only get 1 or 2 responses and that was on a good day. I'm so glad I decided to give this a try. You all have been very helpful and kind. Unfortunately I live in Podunkville. Yep, the beach has them too. Lol. But I seriously feel I just might make it with all of your kindness. I will mention everything to my dr tomorrow. I will make a list tonight cause I to will forget it all by the time I get there. Again, thank you all for your kindness and taking the time to help.

@@jane13 there is only one dr in this area and their support group is only open to his patients. The next area is either Mobile, Al and that is still 2 hours away. I've definitely looked into all of that prior to surgery but thanks for the advice.

At least you have us!