Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello,

I am 72 y/o, banded in 2009. I met insurance guidelines due to having new diagnosis of Type 2 Diabetes and Hypertension. I understood the Band was a tool to assist in developing a healthy life style, however, class and manufacture information did not fully disclose potential complications that other's experienced and had disclosed years before 2009. As with most of you I attempted to follow instructions and dietary recommendations. However, multi-complications occurred from 6-8 weeks post-op.

2013 -2014 I read a couple of articles stating the Medical device manufacturers had been subpoenaed by the U.S. government regarding problems with its Lap-Band weight loss device, and it’s link to a high rate of complications and a number of deaths. I approach a Law Firm as to whether they were forming a class action lawsuit due to lap band being a defective produce. And informed no such filing were being done at that time. I also filed a complaint with the FDA (www/fda.gov), because of complications. At this time, I am not sure if the government has completed their investigation and order a recall of all brands of the Lap-Band. Lawsuits were allowed relating to Vaginal Mesh as well as Talcum Powder; now something need to be done about the manufactures of the Lap Band, especially failure to fully disclose potential injuries and etc. File a compliant with the FDA.

Edited by 72LB

Hello,

I am 72 y/o, banded in 2009. I met insurance guidelines due to having new diagnosis of Type 2 Diabetes and Hypertension. I understood the Band was a tool to assist in developing a healthy life style, however, class and manufacture information did not fully disclose potential complications that other's experienced and had disclosed years before 2009. As with most of you I attempted to follow instructions and dietary recommendations. However, multi-complications occurred from 6-8 weeks post-op.

2013 -2014 I read a couple of articles stating the Medical device manufacturers had been subpoenaed by the U.S. government regarding problems with its Lap-Band weight loss device, and it’s link to a high rate of complications and a number of deaths. I approach a Law Firm as to whether they were forming a class action lawsuit due to lap band being a defective produce. And informed no such filing were being done at that time. I also filed a complaint with the FDA (www/fda.gov), because of complications. At this time, I am not sure if the government has completed their investigation and order a recall of all brands of the Lap-Band. Lawsuits were allowed relating to Vaginal Mesh as well as Talcum Powder; now something need to be done about the manufactures of the Lap Band, especially failure to fully disclose potential injuries and etc. File a compliant with the FDA.

With the high number of Banders out there with serious issues I would think there has to be a law firm somewhere just licking their lips getting ready to file a Class action lawsuit.

The band was a nightmare! I don't get why people are still getting them. Like we are all stupid but that won't happen to them. They latch on to the few "success" stories and get it anyway. I guarantee those "success" people will end up band less someday. I wish I had people to tell me about these nightmares back in 2005. It was too new. I really don't get why doctors are still putting them in. It is all about $$. I hope they do recall them and stop them from going into future victims.

Due to your age, are you able to get a revision? Wondering as my mother is 72 and has a failed lapband and is looking into getting it removed. Shes concerned a surgeon wont want to do it due to her age.

The band was a nightmare! I don't get why people are still getting them. Like we are all stupid but that won't happen to them. They latch on to the few "success" stories and get it anyway. I guarantee those "success" people will end up band less someday. I wish I had people to tell me about these nightmares back in 2005. It was too new. I really don't get why doctors are still putting them in. It is all about $$. I hope they do recall them and stop them from going into future victims.

I think doctors that still insert gastric band are opening themslves up to a legal nightmare.

The band is dangerous and has so many negative side effects. Its a very scary device that is painted as so easy and simple...very misleading.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using the BariatricPal App

I live in PA and 90% of the hosp will not perform the band anymore

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

The surgery center where I'm having my sleeve procedure has axed the lap band procedure from their list completely, not an option.

Sent from my SM-G928T using the BariatricPal App

Sorry it has taken awhile for me to response. I am still planning to have the Lap Band removed. My surgeon suggested a revision, I declined. Delay in surgery has been relating to abnormal labs. As of this month, my physician moved his office to another city, a couple of days after I had submitted new test results. He referred his patients to the other surgeons that were in his group. I called the office, but as yet there has been no respond.

Contact has been made with his new office staff, no respond as yet. This will be an added expense; it seems I cannot win for losing… I often question, why I allowed damage to be done to this beautiful body that God had blessed me with. Why did I not work harder to control the medical issues that were plaguing my health??? I guess most of us has asked the same questions.

If anyone obtain information regarding a Class Action Law Suit please let me know.

Thanks for support

I went in to my surgeon specifically asking for a Lap-Band (I didn't know there were so many problems at the time and I wasn't interested in any of the other procedures) and he basically told me no. He said he used to do them a lot but after he's seen so many problems he doesn't recommend them anymore. He explained all the issues people have had with them: A lot of the tubes breaking (they get worn out or break pretty easy from what he explained) as well as port issues (something about the port sometimes being a pain to get to if it moves), slippage, food getting stuck and acid reflux. He also said that if you remove it, your stomach is never actually "normal" again after either so technically, it's not reversible as Lap-Band claims it is. Not to mention that it's NEVER ENDING with the Dr. appointments to adjust the thing. He also told me that he has to do a lot of revisions from the band to gastric sleeve since so many regret having it (because of the issues and annoying Dr. appointments) or they just don't loose the weight with it but seeing people that regret the sleeve is almost unheard of so he recommended the gastric sleeve for me instead.

Edited by Lizardlady

I was banded August 8 /09 and it was taken out August 4/14. I was having the same issues as everyone else. But one of the worst for me was the acid reflux. I worry about being sleeved b/c I've read about acid reflux after being banded. I had a little sour indigestion 3-4 times a year before the band, but nothing like the acid reflux from being too filled. Maybe one day we'll hear that the class action suit is now in effect.