Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The transition to vegetarianism…

Since surgery, I have been less and less interested in eating meat. I'd like to say that vegetarianism appeals to me because I'm some kind of humanitarian, but really I just feel increasingly disgusted with the thought of dead animal flesh even though I've always been a huge meat eater.

I find that occasionally my body requires actual meet but most of the time, I'm OK without it. I get much of my Protein from cheese, a little from yogurt, and the occasional egg.

All of the dishes I know how to prepare feature meet as the main attraction. That's not true: Pasta is the other main attraction.

I'm getting quite bored with my staple foods, I need some super simple superfast super easy one dish recipes that are high-protein, low-carb, and vegetarian.

Can any of you magnificent vegetarian veterans help me out?

I'm not a vegetarian, but I don't really have any big craving for meat on a regular basis. I like turkey burgers and chicken sandwiches, but past that it's just not something I really think about eating. Although it isn't high Protein, you can replace Pasta with zucchini noodles if you use the Vegetti (it's like $10 on Amazon). I like that swap. You can also add tofu into Tomato sauce and that adds Protein on top of the veggie noodles. I like cauliflower pizza too, where you can get a reasonable amount of protein from the cheese and egg that are included in the crust recipe and you can always use a non-meat protein as a topping. I've recently started drinking a lot of milk (which is mostly because I make skinny macchiatos at home) and the Fair Life milk has a ton of protein, no fat in the skim version, and also a lot of Calcium. There are ways to be a vegetarian and still get enough protein, you just have to be creative.

There are a couple of successful long term veggie sleevers on this site that can offer insight. I am afraid if I tried to give up meat, my primary source of dense Protein, I would regain. :(

@@Oregondaisy

@@feedyoureye

any suggestions??

There is a a soy Protein called textured vegetable Protein of TVP for short. You can buy it at bulk barn. You add Water or broth to it and it soaks it up and looks like ground beef. You can add it to Soup, Pasta, make tacos pretty much anything because it is flavored by what you add it to

Sent from my SM-G903W using the BariatricPal App

My surgeon (Garth Davis) advocates a switch to vegan/vegetarian diet... or as close to it as you can do. He has a book out, Proteinaholic, and there are a bunch of good vegan/vegetarian recipes in it that I find WLS friendly. I'm not off meat/dairy 100%, but I'd say 90%+ of my daily caloric intake is plant based... and when I have meat, it's usually lean poultry or fish.

Here's a recipe for quinoa with black Beans that I make often. I like to eat it plain with hot sauce, or as a salad topping... I imagine it'd be good in some sort of low carb wrap. If you eat dairy, you could up the Protein with some cheese or plain greek yogurt. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/49552/quinoa-and-black-beans/

Feel free to search for and join "WLS Vegetarians" on Facebook! There are plenty of successful veggie WLS'ers out there! :)

Feel free to search for and join "WLS Vegetarians" on Facebook! There are plenty of successful veggie WLS'ers out there! :)

For years my Dr.'s have been telling me to cut back on my meat consumption for better health.Especially my Cardiologist.

After lap band surgery, it became more and more difficult eating meat.

So I decided that was as good as time as any to stop.

I have not eaten red meat, processed meat, or any meat in over 5 years, and Healthwise I can definitely tell the difference.

I am now eating less and less chicken, also for health reasons.

My surgeon (Garth Davis) advocates a switch to vegan/vegetarian diet... or as close to it as you can do. He has a book out, Proteinaholic, and there are a bunch of good vegan/vegetarian recipes in it that I find WLS friendly. I'm not off meat/dairy 100%, but I'd say 90%+ of my daily caloric intake is plant based... and when I have meat, it's usually lean poultry or fish.

Here's a recipe for quinoa with black Beans that I make often. I like to eat it plain with hot sauce, or as a salad topping... I imagine it'd be good in some sort of low carb wrap. If you eat dairy, you could up the Protein with some cheese or plain greek yogurt. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/49552/quinoa-and-black-beans/

I follow him. Totally envious of you!

Thank you all so much! All of your suggestions are very helpful. I am going to look deeper into this. I just really feel my inner compass leaning more and more toward eating purely organic and unprocessed non-animal foods. The surgery has changed me, is changing me, in ways I really didn't expect at all!

Some Targets carry " better than beef". And meatless meatloaf. Both made with soy. They agree with me and are a great source of Protein. I also think Beans are a great source, tho I think they need to be paired with rice to be a complete protein... If I remember nutrition 101...